About this project
Dedicated to Kyria (Mrs) Loula who cooked our food and to our Yiayia (Grandmother) Sofia who taught us the importance of family.
Food connects what has been, what is, and what will be, into one story. Each country has its story, each group of people its traditions and each family its taste. In this cookbook I will tell a story, through Greek food, a tradition of family gatherings and a love of food and words.
My cookbook is called Cook[ειν]. Pronounced Cookin.
cook[ειν] - (ˈkʊkɪŋ)
verb (used without object)
1. : cooking to share, to prepare food and eat it with others.
2. : to cook mindfully and lovingly
3. : slang.
a. to do today instead of procrastinating until tomorrow i.e. I am cook[ειν].
b. to be in love with the process as much as the result
* Cook[ειν] is a word made up, actually a verb made up. The ancient Greek suffix ειν is used to denote the infinitive. The infinitive verb is commonly known as the dictionary form of a verb, the most neutral, root form which then gets conjugated according to the tense. *
Why this cookbook?
• The recipes are tried and tested. They are healthy, and homey and utterly Greek. They are traditional but also have a refined touch; they are memory filled.
• You will learn how to eat the way Greeks eat. In this book you will find a rich compilation of vegetarian, vegan and meat dishes, for all tastes. Useful for various moments in life.
• Each recipe will be combined with a poem, a story or prose. My words will be sparse, the photos personal and impersonal but applicable to all of you, and the prose relevant and surprising.
• The food you will find in my cookbook is an every day event, a personal thing, a family affair, literally and metaphorically, so it will be the inspiration for my writing. One of the things I love doing is extracting the beauty from everyday situations and communicating about them.
The success of my Kickstarter campaign will determine whether I move on with this project or not. With your help I will be able to put a professional team together to make this project a reality:
• graphic designer to help visually communicate all the content
• a photographer to take pictures that will make you want to be in the kitchen during all hours of the day
• Use of a printing press who will print this book for us and make it the best kitchen companion we could have
• a reward for the writer, cook and art director.
*Let me know if you wish to see the analytical budget and I will post it as an update.
On a personal note…
This is my first step of hopefully many, to create something that I have envisioned, fill it with passion, be true to what I want from it and let it take me where it may.
I am committed to seeing it through. To creatively jumping to the opportunities that arise through the publishing of the book and to share the journey with all those who support me.
One of the things that have often made me feel I don’t know where I belong is the fact that I never feel complete when given a label, apart from being a professionally trained cook, I love writing, I love human beings, and I love movement. I am on a quest to combine all these into a label that may not exist today, and I have to start from somewhere. So here we go, this is my starting point. I wish this cookbook to be a combination of who I am today, the memories I carry within me from yesterday and a reference point forever tomorrow.
Risks and challenges
The recipes you will find in this cookbook are ones that have travelled from my great-grandmother’s kitchen to my own. I have grown up eating them and they are the foods that shaped my palate and have taught me what I like and do not like. The difficult thing will be to think critically about these tastes, put my emotional attachment aside and make them better and more applicable to the modern day palate.
Additionally I think convincing you to support this idea and getting you to trust that this cookbook will create ripples of positive action has been and is challenging in itself, but I know that once you all are convinced I will take this project on full-heartedly and am up for the adventure!!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)