Emerge will be THE new iOS game that won't just engage users with captivating gameplay but will also enrapture with stunning graphics. Read more
This project's funding goal was not reached on on .
About this project
The basic idea for this version of Emerge is that the player plays as a ball and attempts to jump across numerous platforms, ascending as they jump, until they reach the next "tier" of existence, "emerging" through the platforms as they advance in the game. There will be multiple tiers broken down into a number of levels.
The gameplay controls for Emerge have changed substantially since it's creation but the style of gameplay that I have for this version is that a player will tap on a platform to make the ball jump on it. The challenge of the game will then be that only some platforms are meant to be jumped on, and the player will have cues as to which platform is eligible to be jumped on. The player will receive points for jumping on consecutive "jump-eligible" platforms and lose points for jumping on incorrect platforms. The goal to complete each level will then be to get a certain number of points. If the player gets enough points by the end of the level then they will be allowed to continue to the next level.
There will also be a "free-play" mode where the player can jump until they miss a correct platform, trying to get as far as they can throughout the never-ending level.
After graduating I decided to start Light Orange Productions. I released Hex Master, Roonihopper and Health Tip Of The Day in the iOS app store in the initial few months of Light Orange Productions. During those months I was able to get a a strong handle on iOS programming and game programming in general. After releasing those games I felt confident enough to start on Emerge. I continued work on Emerge for several more months and actually released a version in the app store. Unfortunately Emerge got very few downloads during the month that it was live in the app store.
I was initially discouraged by this so I reached out to my friends and colleagues who were also in the mobile app business. I was happy to hear that they didn't think my ideas were the cause for my app's lack of popularity but instead they impressed upon me the importance of advertising and social media for the mobile app industry.
Because of Emerge's initial lack of success in the app store, I removed it and have since decided to remodel what I had been working on before, this time keeping in mind the aspects of a successful mobile game. The project is still in very early beta testing but I am hopeful that I will be able to re-release the complete Emerge game within the next 3 months. For now, here is the teaser trailer:
I have been working harder than ever to make Emerge "the next big app". So why do I need financial support from you?
- Software - I want this version of Emerge to be fully 3D in order to immerse the player in the experience. The character will move dynamically through three dimensional space, will cast shadows and be reflected off of the objects around it. In order to do that, I'll need the best 3D modeling software there is. I have fairly extensive experience with Autodesk Maya® so that is most likely my primary choice but I will obviously do extensive research to ensure I'm getting the best price for the best product for what I need.
- Artwork - Although I do have a background with artwork I expect the levels for this version of Emerge to become much more complicated as the player "emerges" through the various levels. Because the earlier levels are designed to be more primal and minimalist, I am able to produce most of the artwork for those levels, but as I continue to develop levels, I suspect my skills will not be enough for what I want the project to look like. Therefore I will need to be able to hire both a 2D artist and someone very adept at 3D modeling in order to create the look that I want for the project. I might also be able to purchase 3D models online if they fit the design of the project.
- Advertising - Emerge will never be "the next big app" if no one ever finds out about it. One important thing that I have learned during this whole process is that sitting in the app store is not nearly enough publicity for an app to "go viral". The biggest app companies these days spend very large amounts of money on advertising and marketing. Amounts that as an independent, brand new developer, I can't possibly afford. Facebook "likes" and Twitter "followers" can be purchased by the thousands, an extremely powerful way to get information out to the general public. Apple's iAd network ensures a good click-through-rate on developer advertisements, but the projected monthly costs fall in the $1000's.
I fully understand that Kickstarter is not a one-way operation. You as a backer fully intend to get something for helping me fund the project - as well you should. That happens to work out perfectly too because I have a lot of different rewards that I intend to give out for certain levels of contribution.
- $5 or more gets you the ability to change the color of your ball in Emerge.
- $10 or more lets you be able to play Emerge as Percel the Orange - as seen on the Light Orange Productions logo.
- $15 or more gets you the game for free, there are only 50 of these available.
- $25 or more gets you a t-shirt (Design may change slightly depending on the vendor I end up using.
- $50 or more gets you a 18" x 24" wall poster. (Design may change slightly but the basic look will be this.)
- $75 or more gets you a 32 page booklet that I originally created for an assignment in college that was intended to explain my process for creating Emerge. The booklet details drawing methods, code samples, and general thoughts that I had for the project back in its early history.
- $100 or more gets your name on the iTunes store page for Emerge indicating that you contributed that amount to the project. You also get rewards from all previous reward tiers.
- $250 or more gets your name on the iTunes store page for Emerge IN BOLD indicating that you contributed that amount to the project. You also get rewards from all previous reward tiers.
- $500 or more gets your name on the iTunes store page for Emerge at the very top, starred, indicating that you contributed the largest possible amount to Emerge. You also get rewards from all previous reward tiers. In addition to all previous rewards, your booklet and wall poster will be signed personally by me, Lucas Best. Is that very egotistical of me? Absolutely, but unfortunately I'm not famous and have no one famous working with me on the project. So hopefully you are willing to invest in my and Emerge's future fame!
Emerge has really become a project that I have become very passionate about. I think about how to make it better for players all of the time. I'm constantly tweaking and adjusting aspects of it until that part is just right. To see Emerge get even the slightest bit of exposure and interest here on Kickstarter is a dream come true and I really appreciate any backer who chooses to pledge any amount.
And if the rewards aren't enough incentive for you to pledge, perhaps the idea that you could be a part of the "the next big app" will work for you, because you really would be a huge part of the project even pledging the lowest amount. Light Orange Productions is not just another big game company. I'm currently the one and only employee, so your pledge is not just some change in a big company's pocket. And the idea that an independent developer like me can actually produce a world renowned viral game, with the help of a support community like you, is the reason why I reached out to Kickstarter in the first place.
So again, I thank you very sincerely for any pledge you are able to make to Emerge and I assure you I will work tirelessly to make Emerge a worldwide success.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Upon Emerge's release in the app store, any backer pledging $5 or more will receive a special link that they can follow on their iOS device that will allow them to change the color of the Emerge ball character.Estimated delivery:
Upon Emerge's release in the app store, any backer pledging $10 or more will receive a special link that they can follow on their iOS device that will allow them to play as Percel the orange, as seen on the Light Orange Productions logo. Backer will also receive the link to choose a different ball color.Estimated delivery:
1 backer Limited (49 left of 50)
Any backer pledging $15 or more will receive a promo code to download Emerge onto their iOS device for free. Backer will also receive both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Any backer pledging $25 or more will receive a t-shirt with the Emerge ball on the front and the Kickstarter "Backer" logo on the back. See the preview in the "Rewards" section of the Emerge project description. Backer will also receive both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Any backer pledging $35 or more will receive a 2" diameter blue bouncy ball with the Emerge logo printed on it. Backer will also receive t-shirt and both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Any backer pledging $50 or more will receive an 18" x 24" wall poster representing Emerge. You can see what it looks like in the "Rewards" section of the Emerge project description. Backer will also receive t-shirt, bouncy ball, and both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Any backer pledging $75 or more will receive a 32-page soft cover booklet, detailing the initial stages of Emerge. Included in the book are multiple 3d object renders, code examples, and general notes and thoughts on the project. I actually created the booklet initially as an assignment associated with the version of Emerge I created in college. Backer will also receive wall poster, t-shirt, and both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Upon Emerge's release in the app store, any backer pledging $100 or more will have their name posted at the top of the iTunes app store page for Emerge indicating that they donated $100+. (Name will appear below $250+ and $500+ backers.) Backer will also receive booklet, t-shirt, bouncy ball, wall poster, and both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Upon Emerge's release in the app store, any backer pledging $250 or more will have their name posted at the top of the iTunes app store page for Emerge IN BOLD indicating that they donated $250+. (Name will appear below $500+ backers.) Backer will also receive booklet, t-shirt, bouncy ball, wall poster, and both links as described above.Estimated delivery:
Upon Emerge's release in the app store any backer pledging $500 or more will have their name posted at the top of the iTunes app store page for Emerge in a special section indicating that they donated $500+, the highest of any other backer. In addition to receiving the booklet, t-shirt, bouncy ball, wall poster, and both links as described above, the booklet and wall poster will be signed by me, Lucas Best.Estimated delivery:
- (30 days)