Claw Hunter - a single player action adventure game
Claw Hunter - a single player action adventure game
Claw Hunter - a single player action adventure game that lets player lead a group of adventurers to the heart of the dinosaur island.
Claw Hunter - a single player action adventure game that lets player lead a group of adventurers to the heart of the dinosaur island. Read more
A single player action-adventure game with RPG elements that allows the player to command three distinct characters with special abilities. Taking place in the 17th century and set on an island where prehistoric life of Cretaceous period was perfectly preserved, Claw Hunter allows the players to return to the days of their childhood, where the prehistoric worlds of dinosaurs and cavemen fascinated us all. Game is focused on a strong main story line and features super-realistic visual style and is built in Unreal Engine. Inspired by titles such as Uncharted, Tomb Raider and The Dig, game features a thrilling story in which the player will embark on a journey through the rugged and dangerous landscape of the tropical island to uncover its long-forgotten mystery. Each character has a different set of skills which players can combine to solve problems arising during their travels. On top of that, players can tame and work with dinosaurs to fulfil different tasks where human hands are not enough.
Claw Hunter takes place in 17th century on the mysterious island of Kayvao situated somewhere in Polynesia.
This island is revered by the tribes living on adjacent islands as a place where the heaven meets the earth, a forbidden ground. Some tribesmen are banished here for their crimes, some go here voluntarily to mine precious minerals and harvest rare plants. All must fight for their lives though as the island is populated by the dragons of the old times – dinosaurs, who managed to survive the great cataclysm and continue to thrive there.
In Claw Hunter three stories will converge. As a young man by the name of Papahy you have been chosen to venture deep into the island to try to appease the thunder god by the name of Maui-Motu'a, who is wreaking havoc on local villages. As a dutch doctor of natural sciences Cornelis travelling on a ship of East India Company you wake up washed ashore after a terrible storm and you have to find your way back to your world. And finally, as a female shaman Tavake who lives on Kayvao among her beloved dinosaurs you have to ensure the continuation of this precious piece of Earth. Tavake knows that new age is coming and the existence of the island will spread throughout the world and everything will change.
Stories of these three characters will find their resolution in a world that doesn’t forgive mistakes. There is a dangerous adventure ahead of you, which will take you to the heart of the island, where many secrets will be revealed.
Claw Hunter is an action adventure game. You progress through the game by controlling a character performing many different kind of actions – you explore, fight, jump, climb and use objects. You see your character from the 3rd person view. You can alternate between three characters that your little group consists of, each having important and unique skills. While playing for a character, other characters are operated by an AI and may be left with simple orders – follow, take cover, fight off enemies, wait. There are many resources on the island, which you can use to craft clothing, weapons and other items, which might help you survive.
Some of the main features are:
- Tactics – use full potential of your characters’ skills – plan accordingly to combine their strength to solve difficult situations. Each of your characters is unique and indispensable. Sometimes you need to use force while at other times you will need to be more cunning and resourceful.
- Control dinosaurs – there are many various dinosaur species living on the island and many of them can be of use to you. Command a pack of Raptors or explore unknown parts of the island from the back of a Pterodon.
- Encyclopaedia of the island life – detailed informations about various plant and animal species which you may find on Kayvao. Accurate depiction of prehistoric life based on the latest scientific research.
- Human Enemies – there are not just dinosaurs to be wary of – also you will encounter human foes being driven by an advanced AI which may turn out to be more challenging than the big carnivores.
- Various types of combat – many different types of weapons for melee combat as well as ranged weapons and man to man bare hand fights. Also there will be many different kinds of acrobatic moves.
- Acrobatics, climbing, defense moves, stealth moves – there will be moments when these skills will save your life.
- Masking – in some situations there is nothing else to do than to hide and wait for the right moment. Gradually you will learn many different ways of how to remain unseen.
- Dungeons and Temples - You will get to some old and forgotten places where humans did not set their foot for ages. Better be careful as nobody knows what may lurk down there.
- Item crafting – whether it is making and upgrading your weapons or preparing various kinds of medicine to treat your injuries you won’t survive without this skill.
- Crafting and setting of traps - you will master trap setting to capture small prey which you will then use to lure bigger animals. Also you can use traps to protect your hideout and possessions.
- Natural Traps - Nature itself is rich with dangers to unwary hunters and animals. Beware swamps, quicksands and deep caves.
- Weapons - Your characters will have their own specific weapons which they may modify and upgrade throughout the game. For ranged weapons there will be a selection of different ammo from incendiary to poisoned and other kinds. Also characters may choose a weapon preference which will give them higher proficiency with that kind of weapon.
- Day and night cycle - animals follow a different behavior routine during night. Some sleep, some hunt. You will have to adapt to night unless you decide to wield a light source. Traps are harder to spot during night. Some treasures, though, can be found only during night.
- Hunter: Young warrior hardened by combat, highly skilled in fighting and acrobatics. Fast and flexible he gets out of many dangerous situations.
- Shaman: As a native to the island of Kayvao she can communicate with dinosaurs using a heritage technique. Also she handles bolaso very well.
- Doctor: As a graduate of natural sciences he is very knowledgeable on this topic as well as he is keen on a bottle of good brandy.
Claw Hunter will feature 30 terrestrial and aquatic dinosaur species with their own unique animations and AI models of behaviour. Animals will respect day and night cycle and will be able to use not just their sight but also smell and hearing to detect you. We also created many different kinds of prehistoric flora species that will populate different types of environments that are on the island. A lot of these plants you may find useful on your travels.
We grew up marveling over beatiful depictions of the long gone prehistoric era by the famous painter Zdeněk Burian and the film director Karel Zeman, imagining how the Earth might have looked like back then. Later came films such as Jurassic Island, Lost World, Rapa Nui and others. A year ago our passion for games took a new turn and we decided to create this unique prehistoric world where men and monsters meet, a world where myths are born. We have put all the latest technologies to work to build a world that lives and breathes. At the same time we stuck to the hard science data available to recreate prehistorical life as closely as it is imagined now by academia.
There will be an early access option for some of the backers. We plan to run a dedicated forum where players can express their views and propose solutions for the developers. We consider the fan input to be of great importance and will not hesitate from making changes in the design.
The project is built in the Unreal Engine. We chose this technology to have the most powerful set of tools which enables us to transfer our vision of the world of the Claw Hunter into digital form without making compromises. We aim for a visual quality which will hold up to other AAA titles.
PS4 and XBOX versions will be released few months later after the PC version.
- Credits - Your name will be written in the game‘s credits as a way to thank you for your support!
- Wallpaper - You will receive the exclusive 4K Claw Hunter wallpaper.
- Digital game - Your own digital copy of the Claw Hunter game once it is completed.
- Bonus Manual - Read through the PDF game manual, learn the game mechanics and useful tips. Only for Kickstarter backers.
- Digital soundtrack - You will own the complete digital soundtrack in MP3 format.
- Digipack - Your own CD copy of the Claw Hunter game in a digipack case, once the game is completed.
- Additional Cut Scenes - 5 EXTRA MINUTES of game story SCENES. Only for Kickstarter backers.
- Better capacity - You will be able to carry more equipment and material than other players.
- Better Weapon - You as a hunter will have an unique weapon. This weapon has one of a kind design and improved durability. Only for Kickstarter backers.
- Boxed Version - Get your very own luxury case with the CD copy of the Claw Hunter game, once it is completed. Features 3 postcards with the Claw Hunter theme.
- Soundtrack CD - Now you can bring Claw Hunter with you to your car. Created by Tomas Oliva from Future Heaven Music studios. Wherever you are, it will make you feel as if you were on the island.
- Beta key - Your own digital copy of the Claw Hunter game with an early access since the start of the beta version. Access to the beta version forum.
- Printed poster - An A1 paper(Canon Synthetic Paper 130g/m2) format 24" x 36" printed poster with the Claw Hunter theme, sent to you in a tube container.
- Special Beard Option - You can choose from a variety of special beards for your hunter. Only for Kickstarter backers.
- T-shirt - Wear a T-shirt with the Claw Hunter theme, which comes in standard sizes and in dark grey color.
- Art book - A hardback printed book full of dinosaurs and sceneries from various parts of the Claw Hunter world. Art book has about 100 pages and is printed on quality stock paper.
- Hunter bracelet - Hand made leather bracelet is the same bracelet that is the Hunter wearing in the game. The length of the bracelet is customisable so it can fit perfectly on your hand.
- Amulet - Original silver amulet in the shape of Trilobite with a waxed leather strap for your neck.Size 2 x 4 cm
- Kill Move - In game character can perform a special deadly animation when it lands a finishing blow to another character from behind.
- Boomerang - Own a functional wooden boomerang with the Claw Hunter logo engraved into it. Size 16" x 6"
- Printed map - Get A1 paper format printed 24" x 36" map of the island
- 3D print data - Receive files needed to 3D print a T-Rex and stegosaurus. Print it yourself.
- Signed printed poster - An A1 paper(Canon Synthetic Paper 130g/m2) format 24" x 36" with the Claw Hunter theme, signed by the game developers!
- Alpha key - Your own digital copy of the Claw Hunter game with an early access since the start of the alpha version. Access to the alpha version forum.
- In game Shoulder Tattoo - Your in game character Hunter will feature a unique arm tattoo of your choice.
- Credits special - Your name will have a special highlighted place in the game‘s credits to reflect our many thanks!
- Dinosaurs sculpture - A 3D printed T-Rex and stegosaurus from the Claw Hunter world to decorate your favorite place. Hand painted. Dimensions 8" (20 cm) wide.
- Totem name - Have a real name or a nickname engraved in the totem. You can find totems all over the island. Your name will be in the eye level.
- Hunter clothing - Full set of impressive clothing of a hunter from the Claw Hunter world. Great for parties, hiking and dinosaur hunting!
- Totem head - Have a totem in the game modeled, based on your real life appearance.
- 3 Painted Sculptures - A 3D printed hunter, shaman, and doctor from the Claw Hunter world to decorate your favorite place. Hand painted. Dimensions 7" (17 cm) tall. This collection is unique and it will never be produced in this exact form.
- Team launch party - 2 VIP TICKETS TO THE LAUNCH PARTY - Be our special guest and receive a VIP and backstage pass for the release party and get to know all of us! Travel costs are not included.
- Secret Level - BONUS SECRET LEVEL Only here and only now you can purchase extended version of Claw Hunter. This exclusive secret level is going to be available only during the duration of the campaign.
Claw Hunter has been conceived as Kickstarter project from the beginning. Up until now the whole project was financed by Jiří Adamec and other team members supported him by work for a lower salary, because they believe in the uniqueness of the project.
So far we have put into the game $40,000. There is a major part of the graphics done as well as base game mechanics. The members of the team guarantee the completion of the project in the depicted quality by their large experience in game development.
In case of raising the funds just above the goal ($800.000) there may be slight delay in the completion of the project, but we will do all in our power to hold up to our commitments. The production costs for realisation of Claw Hunter are so high that it is not possible for us to finish the project without your help. We sincerely hope that you will find our project intriguing and that you will decide to support us!
Risks and challenges
Developing video games is a very complex process, more so than other kind of entertainment including films and music. There are many interconnected parts that need to fit seamlessly together and on top of that the game design needs to be solid and fun!
We realize all that, as some of us have been part of this industry for many years and been through the good and bad of it. We know that anything can happen, but still we want to give this project the best that we've got.
We feel strongly about it otherwise we would not have made the commitment. We plan to finish the project by any means necessary even if it means partial changes in design or code. Our plan is to bring you something that you will enjoy and remember and be proud to take part in. We sincerely hope you will feel the same.
We are just a small team now, just big enough to make this campaign happen but with the game funded we will grow to meet the production needs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (38 days)