Vines Bakery got its start when I (Julianna) finally listened to my heart instead of my head. I'm a 2016 Ashland University graduate with a degree in Family and Consumer Science Education. When I was handed my diploma, I decided my heart wasn't in the public school classroom and took a leap of faith to follow my childhood dream instead. It all began 2 years ago at the local farmers market with a simple scone and some cookies. Since that time, I've been on a journey to explore my love of feeding people and the passions God has given me in this kind, supportive small town. Farmers markets led to websites, which led to special orders, to business cards, to local coffee shop bakery cases, to more than I could have ever imagined.
Why a storefront? Why College Avenue?
To me, it's always been more than some baked goods. A brick and mortar Vines Bakery means a chance to connect, encourage, and celebrate with our community. I dream that people can grow like vines... sharing stories while intertwining hearts and coming together inside our quaint, little house.
I've had my heart set on 530 College Avenue since I was a student at Ashland University. I would walk past the building and jokingly tell my friends, "Hey look! It's Vines Bakery and Coffeehouse!" while on our way to class. At the time, it was simply a daydream. I could have never imagined that one day I would truly be making that place my own. The goal is to create a comfortable, living room feel for everyone to relax, work, or play.
What will Vines Bakery be like during open hours?
We promise to serve everything you've come to know and love at the farmers market, plus even more! We will have a rotating menu of scones, muffins, cookies, pastries, french macarons, cakes, and seasonal items while continuing our speciality orders for parties and celebrations. We will proudly serve Goldberry coffee, roasted locally in Ashland, as well as loose leaf tea blended in Cleveland by a family owned business called Storehouse Tea. We will also partner with Ashland's own Buckeye Creamery to supply us with delicious dairy products! We are all about using fresh, local products and produce in our baking whenever possible. We hope it's a place you'll love to munch on a blueberry scone as you sip a carefully crafted pour over coffee in your favorite comfy corner chair. Bring your laptop and get some work done, take a friend out for tea, or pop in for some treats to go.
Why do we need your financial help?
We are SO close to opening up our doors and letting you in! We've tackled all of the major necessities on our own (lots of paint, refinishing the front counter, refrigerator, coffee makers, furniture, water kettles, bathroom updates, licenses, etc) but we could really use an extra boost to get us over the finish line. Anything you're able to give helps reduce our initial debt, and that's a really big deal for a little business like Vines. Kickstarter is an all or nothing platform. That means unless we reach our full goal, you will not be charged for the amount you pledge or receive any rewards. If we do reach our goal, the money will instantly be put to use putting the final touches on this childhood dream. Check out our different reward levels and see what you'll receive in return!
Here's where your kind donation would go:
- More furniture! We could use several more tables and lots more chairs to seat all of you beautiful people. We've up-cycled as much as we could but need a few more pieces to make the space work.
- More lighting! We have the basics, but we need to invest in several more standing lamps and bistro lighting in our seating areas.
- Additional water kettles to increase our efficiency in providing you with delicious pour over coffee and hot brewed tea.
- Additional baking equipment. More baking=more tools. Mixing bowls, sheet pans, measuring cups, larger mixer, spoons, storage containers...you get the idea.
- A water filtration system to provide the happiest H2O for our beverages.
- Initial supply of all the essential paper products, bakery boxes, coffee filters, pastry bags, to-go cups, coffee sleeves, etc. The boring but very necessary things.
- Beginning to pay back a portion of our start up costs so the business can live in more freedom & flexibility for the future.
- A donation to our incredible videographer who freely gave his time and talents to support this dream and vision.
- Kickstarter fees
Feeling extra generous??
Anything above and beyond our goal will joyfully go towards:
- An additional refrigerator to increase efficiency of our beverage service.
- A few high chairs for our customers with little ones!
- Extra cake stands and French macaron displays to make everything just a little prettier.
- Board games and books to fill our cabinets and share with you!
- Outdoor patio furniture and flower boxes for those dreamy spring & summer days to come.
- More fun decorations, plants, paintings, and shelving to add to our walls.
I can't wait to welcome you into our new home thanks to your generosity and financial support!!! I'm a strong believer in community, encouragement, and breaking bread with others. Food is my favorite way to love people, and I hope to share some with you soon.
Risks and challenges
Thankfully, we have already navigated many of the challenges and risks that come along with opening a foodservice storefront. We have successfully secured a building contract, wholesale bakery license, and many of the required pieces of equipment for the operation.
However, there is always the possibility for a delayed timeline and setbacks due to additional health department inspections, equipment installation, ingredient sourcing, and general small business set up. We will try our best to be proactive in this process and create solutions to challenges as they appear.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)