- People love cats.
- Cats love people who love them.
- Cat Cafes bring loving people and cats together.
A cat cafe is on it's way to Central Ohio!
After a year of planning, we have finally found a "purrfect" location for Eat, Purr, Love Cat Cafe in Clintonville, a welcoming and wonderful community of Columbus, OH. It's a "purrfect" location for adoptable cats & cat lovers to mingle with a cup of coffee, supplied by a variety of local coffee roasters, and delicious vegan bakery from Pattycake Bakery. It's also a "purrfect" location to host a clowder of cats from The Capital Area Humane Society.
Now we need to convert the space into a one-of-a-kind cat cafe! We want to make Ohio's first cat cafe the best cat cafe it can be when we open our doors. The build-out is crucial in separating the cat lounge from the entrance and cafe area. We also plan to have lots of climbers and cubbies and a cat wheel along with many other fun items for the cats and of course, comfortable furniture for the cats and the cat-loving humans to share. We want to install a security/surveillance system to help keep the cats safe after hours. We appreciate your support in making this happen so we can start connecting homeless cats with happy people at Eat, Purr, Love Cat Cafe as soon as possible.
Our reward "purrks" for cat lovers!
We have created several "meowsome" reward "purrks" for you, the cat lover in mind. Many include passes-for-two, for some of our special events. Sure, you can use both passes for yourself if you'd like. There are few things that make life better than cats though, and we think one of those is a best friend who loves cats as much as you do!
Eat, Purr Love Cat Cafe 101:
WHO would visit the cat cafe?
1. A cat lover who wants to convince a non-cat lover that cats are awesome and hopefully adopts one, or two.
2. A cat lover who's significant other is allergic to cats, no matter how much allergy medicine they take.
3. A cat lover who is already owned by a dog or another cat that vetoes adding a new feline member to the family.
4. A cat lover who is sad for having a "no pets allowed" lease.
5. A cat lover!
photo courtesy of The Dancing Cat San Jose, CA
WHAT you can expect at the cat cafe...
1. All of the purrs you can handle.
2. Big smiles and "feel-goods".
3. Lower blood pressure and stress relief.
4. Lots of cool photos and selfies with cats.
5. Being with people who get it...you just really love cats!
WHERE you can enjoy...
1. Yoga / Painting, with cats.
2. Benefit cat art created by local artists, with cats.
3. Meow Mixers for singles who share their love of cats.
4. Special kid activities, with cats.
5. Yummy bakery and locally roasted, fresh-brewed coffee, with cats!
photo courtesy of A Purrfect Start, Grove City, OH
WHY support the cat cafe?
1. The adoption of and advocating for homeless cats.
2. The opportunity to bring awareness to the therapeutic benefits of making cats part of our lives and part of our families.
3. The support of local small businesses and animal advocate and rescue organizations.
4. The cage-free, enriching environment and a high adoption success rate provided for cats.
5. The unique experience and opportunity for cat lovers and cats!
WHEN the cat cafe is officially open ...
1. Permits will be filed and renovation completed to keep cats separate and safe from the cafe and entrance.
2. Catifying of the space is "purrfected". Shelves, cubbies, climbing items and other fun cat stuff like a cat wheel will be purchased.
3. Security system and surveillance will be installed.
4. Employees will be hired and trained.
5. The first cats will be moved in and are ready to snooze, snuggle, play and purr the day away with the people who visit them!
HOW will the cat cafe work?
1. Make a reservation: This will ensure that your waiting time is minimized and your time in the cat lounge is maximized. We will only allow a small group of people in at one time so you and the cats don't feel overwhelmed during your visit.
2. Sign a waiver: Cats are cute and fuzzy but they are still live animals nonetheless. We're just making sure that you're aware of some of the risks associated with hanging out with small cats (which are a lot less than hanging out with big cats!)
3. Review the cat rules: This keeps everyone safe and comfortable. Cats can be persnickety, so we've considered what some of them would want the rules to be.
4. Pay an hourly cover fee: The cover fee helps pay bills and keeps the cat cafe in operation, so we can continue making a difference for many cats for many years to come. We will also utilize the cat cafe during off-hours for programs that will benefit groups of people who may not otherwise have the opportunity to experience the therapeutic benefits of being around purring cats. As well as opening the cat cafe to cat rescue groups to use for fundraisers, workshops volunteer recruitment / orientation through our Cat Cafe "Co-opurrative" These programs will be at no charge to them.
5. Enjoy the cats! Sit back...relax...forget your troubles with purring, playful magnificent cats. If you make a love connection with one of the cat cafe cats, we will be implementing The Capital Area Humane Society's adoption procedures and policies when adopting out their cats!
Please visit our website: www.eatpurrlovecatcafe.com for additional info. Or feel free to send a us a message: Comments and questions are welcomed and appreciated.
Risks and challenges
We have already tackled many of our challenges while searching for a "purrfect" location but we have also encountered several obstacles along the way. For instance; the location, as wonderful as it is, did require a zoning variance. This entailed a two month long process of filing paperwork, paying an expensive zoning variance fee and attending several public hearings. Luckily for us, the City of Columbus was extremely helpful during this process and the variance was passed unanimously!
Since we have signed the lease on June 1st, we have been meeting with contractors, electricians, plumbers and architects in order to apply for the proper permits required for renovation. We hope this portion of the project goes just as smoothly but there are always unforeseen costs and issues that could cause delays during a renovation process. We will remain diligent and continue to work hard in order to open in July as we had predicted and hoped for. If we are not able to open in July, we hope that it won't be long after that. We plan to keep everyone apprised with updates and announcements if and when changes arise.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (19 days)