The Kickstarter for A Prince's Errand is due to end in less than half an hour, so we're making one final update to the campaign page.
First and foremost, thank you for your support! We are very pleased that this project was successfully funded. The last twenty-nine days were a bit of emotional roller coaster, since this was our first crowdfunding campaign.
Third, for those of you who weren't able to adjust your pledge for the add-ons you wanted, don't fret. We're making those add-ons available through Backerkit.
Dan Zangari & Robert Zangari
Welcome to our crowdfunding project for A Prince's Errand, Book One of TALES OF THE AMULET by Dan Zangari & Robert Zangari. We are a father-and-son co-author team that loves telling epic fantasy stories. The last eight years we have worked together to developed a fictional universe (Legends of Kalda) that has been called "extremely detailed" and "richly entertaining". A Prince's Errand marks our tenth publication.
We are raising funds in order to offset the cost of producing the final product of this novel.
A Prince's Errand is completely written and is currently undergoing editing. We have also commissioned artwork by talented fantasy artist, Kerem Beyit and we are in love with the final result. Kerem is responsible for creating artwork for many renown fantasy franchises including: Dungeons & Dragons, Everquest, and World of Warcraft. You can check out his work HERE (https://kerembeyit.artstation.com/)
If you love epic fantasy, this is a novel for you!
When the project is successfully funded we will be offering various tiers of rewards, including: acknowledgement for every backer, digital posters you can use as screensavers and backgrounds on your electronic devices, an e-book version of A Prince's Errand, a trade paperback edition of A Prince's Errand, and a hardcover edition of A Prince's Errand. We also have some rare out-of-print first editions of our previous books available (only while supplies last).
We intend to fulfill this Kickstarter sometime in the summer of 2019, most likely early to mid-July if everything goes according to plan.
A Prince's Errand is slated for a commercial release during the fourth quarter of 2019.
Because the book is already written we have a sample you can read by clicking HERE. This sample includes the prelude to the series, the prologue, and the first couple chapters-roughly the first sixty pages of A Prince's Errand. That's less than 10% of the novel.
If you prefer to read the sample on an e-Reader you can download the Kindle file HERE.
Or, if you have a .epub e-Reader you can download the .epub file HERE.
You can find download instructions for both file types HERE.
*both e-reader files are downloadable from Google Drive.
A Prince's Errand is a classical fantasy tale taking place on the fictional world of Kalda. It is first of twelve (yes 12) novels in the TALES OF THE AMULET series. The book precedes our previously published works: The Dragons' Legacy, The Elven Secret, The Mages' Agenda, and Treachery in the Kingdom. You don't have to read any of those books to understand or enjoy A Prince's Errand. In fact, you can't even purchase those works at the moment. They are all currently under revision and rebranding.
From the hardcover flaps:
"Kalda is a world of magic and wonder. Long ago, men harnessed the Channels of Power, creating tevisrals–devices capable of manifesting magic. But men weren’t the only ones to accomplish such feats. Dragons crafted the most sophisticated tevisrals. These shaped the world, defining civilization of both man and elf alike.
"Centuries after a cataclysmic war–abated only by the Crimson Eye–the men Kalda have fallen into a dark age, where elves are estranged, and dragons are no more. Tevisrals which made Kalda utopian are lost. Now men trade everything for tevisrals. But there are some men who wish to bury the past, and in their lands possessing tevisrals is tantamount to treason.
"Still, some men scour the world in search of Kalda’s past. One such man, the scholar Krindal, ventures across the world in search of an ancient order known as the Keepers of Truth and Might–a coalition that kept the world aright, but has long since disappeared.
"Prince Kaescis Midivar also searches for these Keepers. The death of his uncle, the late emperor of Mindolarn, killed his hopes for peace with the Kingdom of Los. His empire’s survival hinges upon unearthing the Keepers’ secrets.
"An aging warrior, Cornar Dol’shir, longs for the days to be home with his wife. But his retirement must wait, as his band of adventurers is recruited to help find the Keepers’ hidden temple on the Isle of Klindala.
"Haunted by his past, Iltar seeks to unravel the mysteries held within the Codices of Soron Thahan–a volume of prophecy foretelling the advent of the Unspoken One and the return of the Crimson Eye. His search takes him to Mindolarn, where all is not as it seems.
"The result of more than twenty years of planning, writing, and world-building, A Prince’s Errand is the first installment of Tales of the Amulet, a bold epic as detailed as it is entertaining."
A Prince's Errand is our fifth novel we have written together. Although this is our 10th publication it marks a new beginning for our fantasy series, TALES OF THE AMULET. Originally intended as a prequel novella, A Prince's Errand became one of the largest works we've ever completed. It is an EPIC sized book, clocking in at over 325,000 words with three individual story-lines that blend into an over-arcing and complete novel (that's roughly 1,350 pages in standard manuscript format).
About a year ago we decided to rebrand our series and rewrite our previously published novels from omnipresent present tense to third-person past tense. A Prince's Errand coincides with our revision to all of the TALES OF THE AMULET novels and short-stories.
Dan Zangari & Robert Zangari are a father-son writing duo who love and adore fantasy fiction. They started writing together in 2011. Prior to their collaboration, Dan began formulating the universe which would become the setting for A Prince's Errand back in 1991. Dan created multiple worlds with unique backstories. Those stories formed the basis for the series, TALES OF THE AMULET.
Dan has spent the last twenty-eight years refining his worlds and his characters. His ideas have spanned the outlines of 38 novels in the Legends of Kalda universe, 6 of which have been written.
Robert began writing in 2009. He has expanded his father's ideas and introduced several characters and story-lines into the Legends of Kalda universe. He is responsible for creating the short-stories associated with the series. His contributions have deepened the lore of the Kalda Universe.
In 2016 their novel, The Dragons' Legacy reached the Amazon bestsellers list in the epic fantasy category.
In 2018 they were nominated for a Watty Award on Wattpad for Part 1 of, A Prince's Errand.
Their other works include:
- The Dragons' Legacy
- The Elven Secret
- The Mages' Agenda
- Treachery in the Kingdom
- Tales of the Amulet Short-story Anthology: The Last Barsionist, Mysterious Assassin, Return of the Elves, A Forgotten Hero, and Guardians of Kalda.
You can follow Dan & Robert on their official Facebook page, Legends of Kalda. Or follow their respective profiles: Dan Zangari (https://www.facebook.com/daniel.zangari.1) Robert Zangari (https://www.facebook.com/robert.zangari).
Stay up to date on their future releases by joining their mailing list, HERE.
Crowdfunding on Kickstarter presents a unique opportunity to find new readers. It also allows us as the authors to generate more revenue prior to the official launch of the books. This enables us to recoup our initial investment for production.
With our previously published novels we spent less than a thousand dollars to complete them. Our biggest expense was line editing, but even that was obtained at a very cheap rate. Robert designed the covers and the artwork. While they were not bad, they were not top-notch quality, nor did they scream, "this is an epic fantasy book!"
Our decision to rebrand our series brought in additional expenses. But we wanted a book that looked and felt professionally published. This bumped our production costs to over seven thousand dollars (cover art, interior illustrations, additional runs of copy editing, printing beta-reader copies, purchasing ISBNs, and hiring professional formatting for e-Book and print.)
Kickstarter also allows us the ability to offer unique bundles to readers that are otherwise unavailable through most retail platforms. By rewarding our readers through Kickstarter we can offer discounted prices. For instance, the paperback will retail at $21.99 and e-Book at $7.99. Together, the retail cost is $5 above the Kickstarter price-and that doesn't include the digital poster which will retail at $5. Kickstarter allows us to offer a $10 savings for our readers (before shipping).
Regardless of the success of this Kickstarter campaign, A Prince's Errand will be published.
We are using this Kickstarter to help offset the cost for producing the book. This will help us allocate our funds to hasten the production of our other works that are currently undergoing rewriting and revision.
You deserve to know where your money is going. Here is a breakdown for the costs associated with producing A Prince's Errand:
- $3,700 for cover art by Kerem Beyit.
- $2,200 for line editing services.
- $5 for ISBN (Previously purchased in bulk at $500 for 100 ISBNs).
- $230 for beta-version print copies for our Beta-Readers.
- $100 for print proofs (multiple runs).
- $700 for interior illustrations.
- $150 for e-book formatting services.
Total cost for production: $7,085
While we are not setting our initial funding goal for $7,085 we would love to reach it. According to our contributor model, we will most likely receive between $3,000 and $3,500 to put toward production costs after fulling orders on this Kickstarter, once we meet our goal of $5,000.
We have some additional items available that you can add to your pledge. Add-ons such as these allow you to customize your pledge so you receive exactly what you desire in the form of rewards.
In order to add these additional items to your pledge simply increase your pledge by the additional dollar amount listed with the desired add-on. For instance, if you pledged $10 for the "EBOOK + DIGITAL ARTWORK" and want copies of "Return of the Elves, DRM-free e-book" and "A Forgotten Hero, DRM-free e-book" you would add $2 to your pledge amount, bringing your total pledge to $12.
After you add the additional pledge amount, send us a message with the item(s) you want to add-on to your reward. After the Kickstarter ends we will send you a survey to verify your add-on choices.
Additional physical copies of A Prince's Errand are also available to add to your pledge, in both trade paperback and hardcover. We are offering additional copies at a 20% discount.
Here is a list of current add-ons available during A Prince's Errand Kickstarter campaign:
- The Dragons' Legacy, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $3.
- The Elven Secret, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $3.
- The Mages' Agenda, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $3.
- The Last Barsionist, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $1.
- Mysterious Assassin, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $1.
- Return of the Elves, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $1.
- A Forgotten Hero, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $1.
- Guardians of Kalda, DRM-free e-book (includes three formats: PDF, .epub, and .mobi) - pledge an additional $1.
- Authors' Original Present Tense Editions DRM-free e-book Bundle (All 3 novels and 5 short-stories together in all three formats: The Dragons' Legacy, The Elven Secret, The Mages' Agenda, The Last Barsionist, Mysterious Assassin, Return of the Elves, A Forgotten Hero, Guardians of Kalda) - pledge an additional $12.
- Signed 24"x36" poster of, "Kalda, the Civilized World" (a world map featured in The Mages' Agenda) - pledge an additional $10, plus $6 shipping.
- 11"x17" poster of Kerem Beyit's cover art for A Prince's Errand - pledge an additional $7, plus $6 shipping.
- Additional trade paperback edition of A Prince's Errand - pledge an additional $20, plus $6 shipping ($38 international shipping).*
- Additional hardcover edition of A Prince's Errand - pledge an additional $32, plus $6 shipping ($38 international shipping). *
The e-books listed are currently not available through any retailer, and this will most likely be the last time they are made available to the public. These e-books are digital version of the books in the $80 reward, "LIMITED FIRST EDITIONS". Add-on e-books will be delivered shortly after the successful funding and conclusion of this Kickstarter.
We might add a few more items throughout the course of the campaign. Stay tuned for updates.
[International add-ons] we are adding international add-ons for physical editions of A Prince's Errand ONLY (paperback and hardcover). International shipping is $38, due to the weight and size of the package.
*Backers must first pledge toward either of the following to qualify for additional physical copies: EARLY BIRD: PAPERBACK + MORE, EARLY BIRD: HARDCOVER + MORE, TRADE PAPERBACK + MORE, HARDCOVER + MORE, LIMITED FIRST EDITIONS, PATRON FOR LIFE.
Revised stretch goals:
- *UNLOCKED (was $8,000 but now included with every physical pledge) - Every trade paperback & hardcover order will receive a second bookmark, a Kickstarter exclusive featuring Kerem Beyit's artwork.
- $6,000 - Every trade paperback & hardcover order will receive an exclusive book-plate, personalized and signed by the authors. Digital book-plate will be included in each e-Book.
- $7,000 - Free digital add-on of Krindal's origin story. Delivered as an extra-chapter in the e-Book format of the book.
- $10,000 - Enable poster add-ons of Kerem Beyit's artwork (24x36) $10 per poster plus shipping ($5). US backers only.
- $15,000 - Additional e-Book for all backers, Untold Tales of Kalda, delivered with the e-Book of A Prince's Errand. Untold Tales of Kalda is a compilation of twelve short-stories giving further depth and breadth to the world of Kalda.
- $25,000 - Free add-on of the short-story A Thief's Way with a redesigned cover by Kerem Beyit. The e-Book version will be delivered to everyone. Paperback copies will be delivered to all physical reward tiers.
- $35,000 - Large print run for trade paperbacks. All backers who purchased a trade paperback will received upgraded paperbacks with foil stamping and embossed lettering. (Excludes the "Retro-Edition").
- $45,000 - Large print run for hardcovers. All physical books will be upgraded to hardcover, and those purchasing hardcovers will receive a never-before-printed collection of short-stories: Untold Tales of Kalda. Hardcovers will have foil stamping and embossed lettering. No trade paperbacks will be produced, except for the "Retro-Edition" copies. Paperbacks, however, can be requested on an individual basis if hardcovers are not desired.
Stretch goals are adjusted to consider the shipping costs for domestic shipping (Kickstarter tacks shipping onto the actual pledge amount). If we reach the $45,000 stretch goal our cost analysis estimates $5,000 will go toward shipping costs, minus Kickstarter's cut and payment processing, leaving $36,000 to go toward production and fulfillment, the majority going towards a large print run.
After much consideration, we will be offering international shipping for only the physical editions of A Prince's Errand. Despite the exorbitant shipping costs we decided to offer physical editions to our international fans.
Shipping costs for (1) book are $38, due to the size and weight of the novel.
Additional physical copies are available for purchase (see the add-on section above).
The only physical reward tier we are not allowing international shipping on is our LIMITED FIRST EDITIONS, as the shipping will cost well over $120.
Certain physical add-ons will also not be available, such as the posters. We apologize for the inconvenience.
If the stretch goal for the poster is met, we will not be shipping the poster internationally. Shipping posters internationally is be far more expensive than shipping domestically (approximately $50 more). We don't think that a reasonable rate nor is it fair to offer the poster add-on to our international backers. We apologize in advanced. But for international backers who really want the poster we suggest having a relative or friend in the United States purchase the add-on and arrange a method of delivery with them. Again, we apologize for inconvenience.
We are giving away a never-before published short-story, A Thief's Way, to any backer who is signed up on our Kickstarter-specific mailing list.
You can subscribe to our mailing list here.
A Thief's Way is the first of 12 short-stories related to the TALES OF THE AMULET series. It features the notorious sneak, Tilthan, and his fellow thieves as they embark on a job to steal the Eye of Rab'di-an ancient gem rumored to hold magical powers. The heist, however, is not as simple as it seemed and Tilthan finds himself in a difficult situation: finish the job or escape with his life.
This is a limited time offer. Backers may subscribe and receive the short-story until June of 2019. Delivery of the short-story will be made upon fulfillment of the Kickstarter.
A Thief's Way will be released commercially shortly after the official publication of A Prince's Errand and will retail at $1.95 in e-Book format.
We also have some additional physical rewards that we're including with our TRADE PAPERBACK + MORE tiers and higher (also included in the Early-Bird tiers).
A Prince's Errand Bookmark:
A Prince's Errand Character Trading Cards:
This set of character trading cards will only be available on this Kickstarter campaign.
Back the project now to claim your free bonuses.
Welcome back to the Kickstarter campaign for A Prince's Errand, an epic fantasy novel. We wanted to keep you apprised of a few developments since you've last visited.
- Add-ons available: "out of print" e-Books, posters, and additional physical copies of A Prince's Errand. See the section, "Additional Items" below.
- Additional print copies available at a 20% discount ($20 for trade paperbacks + $6 shipping, $32 for hardcovers + $6 shipping).
- International shipping available for print books ($35 shipping + pledge).
- Exclusive Character Trading Cards for everyone who orders a physical copy of A Prince's Errand.
- A second bookmark for all physical orders (previously stretch goal #1).
- Bonus short-story for anyone who signs up on our mailing list, HERE.
- Revised Stretch Goals.
Dan Zangari & Robert Zangari
Risks and challenges
When considering risks and challenges for novels there are two main concerns: Finishing the novel, and will it sell? Since the book is finished, there are no risks for completing it. A Prince's Errand will be published regardless of the outcome of this Kickstarter. As for its ability to sell, the book has been well received by all our beta readers. The book's nomination for a Watty Award (a competition of 360,000 entries) shows that there is some real commercial value for the story-and only the first half of the book was judged. A Prince's Errand was in the top 240 stories out of 360,000. We are confident that the book will be a success.
As this is our first Kickstarter, fulfillment will pose a potential hurdle to overcome. This concern, however, will be resolved by using a fulfillment company.
Also, our contributors model might not be completely accurate. We've done some research with similar projects that were successfully backed and based our analysis off those results. But even if the proceeds from the Kickstarter are less than expected, we will still have enough to cover fulfillment and offset some of the book's production costs.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)