Revolutionary Stationary Cycle Trainer
Revolutionary Stationary Cycle Trainer
The Revbox Erg is a new revolutionary stationary cycle trainer which uses air braking to create resistance with minimal inertia.
The Revbox Erg is a new revolutionary stationary cycle trainer which uses air braking to create resistance with minimal inertia. Read more
About this project
For the last three years we’ve worked hard to make our vision become reality. We’ve developed, enhanced, tested and patented our wind-braked, low-inertia cycle trainer: the Revbox Erg.
Now we're ready to produce the Revbox as cost-effectively as possible and distribute it internationally. We want to go from working prototypes and small handmade quantities to serious production, and we need your support to get there.
Revbox New Zealand Limited is a New Zealand-based company and the Revbox is 100% designed, developed and engineered in New Zealand.
Meet the dedicated, international team of keen cyclists driving this project:
- Philipp Schacht, Germany: Owner, Managing Director, Developer and Visionary
- Rob Durham, United Kingdom: Owner, Development Engineer and Visionary
- John McKenzie, New Zealand: Communications Marketing Manager
- Independent consulting - Steve Jones, United Kingdom: University of Waikato, App Development
- Independent consulting - Joe McQuillan, New Zealand: University of Waikato, Scientific Research
About this project
The Revbox Erg builds on the basic erg concept. It uses air braking to create resistance, and the very low inertia minimises the amount of momentum gained from the machine, meaning that without any outside factors to interfere, you can retrain your brain and body to use a perfect pedal stroke. Existing muscles in the legs and lower core are activated and grow stronger, and the body learns to use new muscle groups if required; the neurological activation this causes helps your body learn to perform better and more efficiently.
What the Revbox can deliver (at a glance)
- Enhanced muscle activation throughout the whole pedal stroke
- The ability to smooth and improve the pedal stroke by listening to the sound of the machine
- Perfect strength and endurance training for cyclists, runners and swimmers
- Consistent and precise training in a controlled environment
- Proven results for professional athletes as well as weekend cyclists of every age and ability
- Excellent rehabilitation after accidents and injury due to its low inertia
- Additional app can show accurate power, heart rate, cadence, calories, speed, distance and more
- Additional app can connect and upload data to TrainingPeaks and other training programs
- Train with - or against - your mates everywhere in the world on a video screen
Revbox Performance Money Back Guarantee
We are so sure of the benefits the Revbox Erg can deliver to your training that we offer every customer a Revbox Performance Money Back Guarantee, so you can purchase a Revbox in full confidence that it will give you the results you want. The Revbox Erg will improve your strength and fitness levels - and if it doesn’t we’ll give you your money back.
Conditions apply – please contact us.
What makes the Revbox so different
- Low inertia, which helps you learn to pedal the right way for your body
- The use of airbraking creates resistance; your own efforts drive the results
- Very compact; easy to transport and set up
- Compatible with 10 and 11-speed drivetrains as well as 12mm through axles
- ‘Weekend warrior’ cyclists get fitter and stronger
- Recreational athletes get better results with less time spent training
- Elite athletes get a real edge on their competition
- People that require rehabilitation from injury to retrain their leg muscles
- People coming out of comas to rehabilitate their legs and lower abdomen stabilisers; another benefit is the lungs’ oxygen capacity increase is greater here than with many other exercises
- People with illnesses affecting the leg muscles to regain muscle control and strength
The unit on its own is just under 9kg, lighter than many other trainers, and it has a versatile, unlimited resistance range. The Revbox has the best ratio of unit resistance to size and weight of stationary trainer in the world, making it especially practical for international travel if required.
Every road bike and most cross country mountain bikes can be fitted to the Revbox by simply removing the rear wheel. It’s as easy as that.
The Revbox will match your lifestyle and training needs, whether you want to improve your health in a short space of time or you’re a world class athlete looking for an edge.
The Revbox Training App
The Revbox Training App will be offered separately as an affordable alternative for those who don´t have or don´t want to buy a more expensive crank- or pedal-based power meter. It will provide pre-set training plans and will display key training data such as your power, cadence, speed, heart rate, and so on.
Who can the Revbox help?
- Elite and world-class athletes can up their game for a real edge
- Recreational athletes can get fitter, faster and stronger
- Hobby cyclists and commuters can increase their fitness
- People needing rehabilitation from accidents can retrain their leg muscles
- People coming out of comas can restore use of their lower abdomen stabilisers and legs
- People with illnesses affecting their leg muscles can regain muscle control and strength through the body’s neurological activation process
Our very first video from 03/2014 to introduce the concept.
Our second video from 06/2014 to explain the concept and how to train with the Revbox.
We have a strong alliance with Hunter Allen and the worlds leading coaching group:
What have we already done?
- Prototype development
- Extensive durability testing
- Production design finalisation
- Drive system development and analysis
- Parts and materials supply chain developed
- Assembly capability finalised
- Finalised bill of materials and assembly costs
- Finalised total cost of goods
- Brand look and feel developed: this includes the personality of the Revbox, the culture of the business, and promotional material including website, instructions, packaging, vision footage (videos) and training plans
- Patent applications (Patent pending)
- Trademark applications
What else are we doing?
We’re working with the University of Waikato’s Scientific Sports Department to develop a recumbent machine - similar in principle to the Revbox but in reverse - to help rehabilitate the elderly, the infirm, and of course sportspeople of all types.
We’re doing some further investigation into the benefits for different users to add to our body of research and support documentation, and we’re also working on a roller trainer to connect to the Revbox and a connecting bike frame called BoxBike for use in gyms.
How much the Revbox Erg cost
- USA: 999.00 USD
- Europe: 799.00 EUR
- New Zealand: 999.00 NZD
- Revbox Power App: 99.00 NZD
- Revbox Sensor Kit: 99.00 NZD
- Revbox Tarpaulin Transport Bag: 169.00 NZD
- World Wide Freight Rate: 99.00 NZD
What we’ll do after successful funding
- Buy moulds and tools
- Place orders for parts
- Establish a workspace and streamline the manufacturing process
- First mass production run of parts
- Start assembly process
- Implement marketing communications and advertising
- Distribute the first mass production of Revbox Ergs, by June 2015 at the latest
Thanks very much for your attention and please get in contact with us whenever you have any additional questions.
Risks and challenges
There are always risks and challenges when Kickstarting something new like the Revbox. It’s a challenge we feel very comfortable with.
We built more than 32 prototypes before we started our small pre-series production and have already sold more than 70 trainers to very satisfied customers. All Revbox we’ve made have sold within two months.
We know that our core technology is proven, and we have great confidence in it - the feedback we´ve received about it over the last 12 months tells us we’ve got it right.
We’re asking for your support to pay for the tooling and to set up cost-effective production and worldwide distribution channels. We want to develop more machines based on the Revbox concept; we want to supply Revbox units internationally in the second half of 2015 so that anyone who needs one can get one.
Let’s do that together.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (45 days)