What happens when you let a group of authors retell their favorite tales as if they were set in the future?
You come up with an array of scenarios and questions that make you wonder:
How would Jack deal with encountering aliens from space?
Are there rats in deep space?
Is there a secret society of wolves that live among us?
Answers to such questions and others can be found in "Once Upon A Future Time," a collection of seven re-imagined fairy tales set in futuristic worlds.
Included in the anthology are works by:
- Deanna Young was born and raised in Aztec, New Mexico but now lives beneath a different set of desert mountains in Erda, Utah. She loves to collect random facts, eat cherry cheesecake and cook with green chili, though she usually avoids doing all three things at once. When she's not reading, writing, or spinning in circles, she's trying to convince her garden that Erda isn't a desert and her four kids that it is. Flooded basements are only fun in stories.
- Charity West is a military brat who traveled the world before finally finding a home in Provo, Utah, where she lives with her computer nerd husband and three darling children. She loves reading books about magic and space and enjoys writing about the same. When she's not reading or writing, you can find her crocheting or hiking in the beautiful Utah mountains. Her work has appeared in the Weird Reader, on Luna Station Quarterly, and in the Rumpelstiltskin issue of Timeless Tales.
Erik Peterson is an author, speaker, and magician. He writes books for kids, short stories for grown-ups and comics for all ages. His most recent children's book, Once Upon A Time, A Bit Earlier, is available now. Keep up with his latest works on Facebook at facebook.com/eriksbooks and Twitter or Instagram at @docmagik.
- Sabrina J. Watts graduated from Brigham Young University with a degree in English Teaching and has been writing sci-fi/fantasy novels for nearly a decade. She loves going on adventures in made up worlds and getting lost in other people's lives. When life wrangles her back to the real world, she is drawn to bright colors, vibrant personalities, and projects that no one else wants. She also believes pretty much anything can be made better with french fries. Though she grew up in North Dakota, she currently resides in the alien world of Utah with her husband and three daughters.
- Bret Carter is a high school English teacher. His fiction has appeared in publications such as Boston Literary Magazine, the speculative fiction anthology Mysterion, and the fantasy anthology Gruff Variations. Several of his plays have been produced in the local theater. He lives with his wife and two daughters in Denver, Colorado.
- Megan Weber is a college Junior at Grand Canyon University and is studying English Literature. She has always been an avid reader and hopes to one day be able to write Young Adult Fantasy Novels. She has always had a passion for writing and creating stories. In high school, she wrote for her school newspaper and now in college she writes for an online publication called Odyssey. This is her first published story.
- W.O. Hemsath has a B.A. in Screenwriting, three lively sons, and will do just about anything for a good back scratch. In addition to short stories, she writes novels about aliens addicted to classical music, inspirational non-fiction books, and her favorite guilty pleasure—song parodies. On the weekends, she can be found neglecting laundry and dishes in favor of binge-watching Netflix with her husband. You can learn more about her writing at whitneyhemsath.wordpress.com.
What about the cover?
I'm glad you asked, while we shouldn't be judging books just by their covers it does help to set the tone of what's to come. And for that reason, we are excited to announce that we will once again be working with Meredith Moriarty. For those of you who are familiar with are past projects, she's the talented artist that did the art for "Once Upon a Time," and the interior illustrations for "Once Upon a Time, A Bit Earlier."
UNLOCKED $650: All backers with a physical reward level will receive a 4x6 inch mini print of the cover (pledges of $15 or more)
UNLOCKED $1,000: All backers will receive an eBook copy of "Once Upon a Time"
UNLOCKED $1,200: All backers will receive an eBook copy of "Touch of Power"
UNLOCKED $1,450: All backers will receive an eBook copy of "Cold and Hungry"
UNLOCKED $1,750: All backers with a physical level will receive a second 4x6 inch mini print by Meredith Moriarty
UNLOCKED $2,500: Meredith Moriarty will create a black and white illustration for each story to be included in the book.
But I want more than one copy of the book, what do I do?
For those who want additional copies, just increase your pledge by the amount necessary for another copy of the book. There will be no shipping for additional copies sent outside the United States.
For softcover copies just add $15 per additional copy desired to your pledge.
Hardcover copies will be an extra $25 per book.
Example 1: Someone backing at the "Organic Matter" pledge level that wants 3 softcover copies of the book would need to pledge $45 ($15 for the base pledge of one book and then $30 for the 2 additional softcover copies.)
Example 2: Someone backing at "The Universe" pledge level who wants 2 hardcover copies of "Once Upon a Future Time" and 3 softcover copies of "Once Upon a Future Time" would need to pledge $115 ($60 for the base pledge plus $25 for the additional hardcover copy and $30 for the additional softcover copies).
If there's any question as to how much to pledge just post a comment or send us a message and we'll help you out.
Risks and challenges
We've run multiple Kickstarter campaigns and have learned that no matter how well everything is planned, shipping always throws a wrench in the system. We have worked to streamline our process and to be able to expedite the delivery of rewards, but at the end of the day, weather and the normal statistical breakdown of the shipping infrastructure tends to hamper a smooth delivery. For that reason we've included a buffer in our delivery timeline to help make sure everything goes as smoothly as possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)