This project's funding goal was not reached on February 8, 2013.
About this project
ANDE in a nutshell
ANDE is a simple mobile game that we hope to grow into a phenomena. The concept behind ANDE is to create an exciting experience, where anyone, both young and old, has the power to face up to and change their feelings, at any given time, in a fun and interactive way … with the support of a trusted sidekick, ANDE the crazy neuron.
Because most of us have experienced the world of anxiety and depression in one form of stress or another, we are very aware of its destructive nature. There is sooooo much out there on these topics, but we found it all to be incredibly wordy, lengthy and intense. This seemed to make us more anxious and depressed.
So, we decided to have some fun and create a game that redirects your focus and at the same time makes you feel better. Voilà! ANDE (being a derivative of ANxiety and DEpression) was born.
We didn’t want to downplay nasty feelings, like dealing with an impossible boss, losing in love, getting through a tedious job, etc. By playing the game, Ande gives you some options to rather face these feelings and find a more accessible way forward.
Our aim is that ANDE becomes your trusty friend, who gets you to lighten up and live life, rather than merely surviving it. In other words, a whole new phenomena, through a fun, interactive game.
ANDE – the game and how we aim to take ANDE forward
Our first release of the game is simple. You choose your ANDE out of 6 avatar options. You then identify the worrisome feeling, and together with ANDE, take action on it (with a weapon and simple action of your choice), leaving room for a better one.
As we get more funding for ANDE, we plan to grow the game, with input from both funders and potential players, get it on more platforms, create a multi-player experience and increase the levels of complexity within the game itself.
We also aim to spend more time on the bespoke design elements of the game, ie. more individualised ANDE’s, the different actions, the good, bad and ugly neurons, the types of explosions and the neuron weaponry.
As ANDE grows, we aim to create derivatives of ANDE, the game, that focus on more specific target markets, eg. young children, teenagers, working adults, parents, therapists and fascilitators tools, HR tools, etc.
ANDE is a crazy neuron whose soul purpose is to TAKE ACTION on utterly no good life draining feelings that cling to our very core. He seers ahead on an endless quest, helping us take action and transform our feelings by taking back our power.
The science behind ANDE – ANDE is real
It’s all about energy. Through quantum physics and modern approaches to wellbeing it has been revealed that we are all essentially energetic beings.
Our nervous system, through neurons that process and transmit signals electrically and chemically, are the messengers, instructing us how to live life. We experience these bite size pieces of information as feelings. They create our emotional reality. And they have the power to take us down … or lift us high.
Because our modern lives are so fast paced, and jam packed, various forms of anxiety and depression, yes those evil monsters that love to lurk, are now threatening to consume our very existence and take over our world. People are finding themselves powerless in a gloomy and unproductive haze …”
There is a ton of research and stats out there on Anxiety and Depression, here are some:
- 28.8% Americans suffer anxiety — the highest level in the world.
- Depressive disorders affect ± 18.8 million American adults in a given year.
- Anxiety disorders are the most common mental illness in the USA, affecting 40 million adults.
- It’s not uncommon for someone with an anxiety disorder to also suffer depression, or vice versa.
- 25% of tweens and 39% of teens eat too much or too little due to stress.
- 54% of Americans are concerned about stress in their everyday lives.
- 75% of adults reported moderate to high levels of stress in the past month.
- An estimated 121 million people worldwide currently suffer from depression.
- Everyone at some time in their life is affected by depression – either their own or someone else’s.
- Pre-schoolers are the fastest-growing market for antidepressants. At least 4% of preschoolers – over a million – are clinically depressed.
American Psychological Association (APA), World Health Organisation,
National Institute of Mental Health, Australian Government Statistics.
Where ANDE came from
We started establishing ANDE as a neuron who, with the help of receptors (weapons) would change feelings. Our first ANDE was a hairy dude:
But then we realised, especially for diversity in a game, he should be more electric and molded. We are still refining him, and loving every minute of it.
Our plans for ANDE
We have conceptualised and formalised ANDE and now production needs to start so that we can get ANDE out there. This is where you come in, by helping us fund ANDE, we can produce the game in its simplest, mobile form.
There are some great, limited edition rewards to be had. With you at our sides, Ande can thrive and we can all have some fun. If more people got to face their feelings head on, take action and get back their power, our world would be a far better place.
With this goal we aim to make the simplest form of the game, but if we exceed it then we can work at creating a more layered game, focused on individuals.
Although it all starts with the mobile game, we have great plans to create a phenomena out of ANDE, the game.
We are still strategising and planning, below gives you an idea of where we are heading:
- create a more integrated and multiplayer game;
- create the game for all the platforms, ie. MAC, WINDOWS, ANDROID, etc;
- create more varied actions as options (things for people to do in order to find that better feeling);
- create a more targeted game eg. for young children, teenagers, working adults, parents, etc;
- get ANDE on a roadshow.
The ANDE creation journey
ANDE BrainWave Rewards
By contributing you become part of ANDE the phenomena, and that surely is a brainwave. We have created 5 different levels of brainwave rewards with variety on each level, tailor made for you. We worked really hard at coming up with these rewards that’ll make you smile, at the very least, and embrace life because we love and appreciate you being part of ANDE’s journey.
We prefer that you go through kickstarter, as it’s such a fantastic platform, but should you wish to do a direct donation then check out www.meekalili.com/ande/.
Now back to the rewards – check them out below:
Meekalili is founded by Meeka (Dominika Marcisz) and Lili (Lisa Walters), two creative types who love to produce fun, creative and relevant stuff by working in collaboration with other inspiring people (you can read more about us on www.meekalili.com/whoweare).
For ANDE we have joined forces with Tim Pringle, our fabulous sound engineer and Jo Anderes, our American creative affilliate.
We have worked with various creative departments in broadcasting, design and production facilities over the years and have embraced numerous opportunities individually.
But life is far more fun when collaborating, hence Meekalili – because we love creating, we are inspired by the world around us and we share a common interest in finding the greater good. Meekalili is primarily project based and we get our rocks off working on things like game design, interactivity and out-of-the-box thinking.
TIM PRINGLE heads up TONE Studios. He has more than 10 years experience in audio final mix for video and film post production, and delivers to local and international broadcasters (National Geographic, Discovery, Animal Planet, Aljazera, Mnet, etc). He has won various awards, including recently the coveted SAFTA Best Sound Design in TV Drama Series, in 2012.
Johanna (“Jo”) Anderes was born in Germany and now lives in Stamford, Connecticut (after a couple of years stopover in Switzerland and South Africa).
Jo is a Graphic Designer who is passionate about minimalism and using design to enhance lifestyle. In addition to designing, Jo has her own studio that specialises in the production of letterpress printed paper goods. Jo’s other passions include yoga and travel – especially walking safaris in Africa!
Apart from being award winning Designers and Creators, Meeka heads up an Anxiety Group and Lili is a Kinesiologist, focusing specifically on Neural Training and Neurological Organisation Techniques. We have all experienced and annihilated the world of anxiety and depression, and have worked hard at translating those experiences into ANDE.
Overall, the team is small, dedicated, global and aims to rock your world with ANDE.
Risks and challenges
Our biggest challenge is to be able to spend more time designing and developing a more complex ANDE game based on our initial goal.
Also, our initial goal is just a mobile game app, which means people can get it without taking part in kickstarter, quite affordably. We had to work at making the rewards part of the experience of ANDE so that you feel you are getting something exclusive.
Our other big challenge is that we are working on three different continents – USA, South Africa and New Zealand, and with large time zone differences, it is sometimes tough to all be on the same page all the time.
Our third challenge is we really aim to raise ANDE to celebrity status, which means longer hours, focused commitment and funding from various other sources as well to get ANDE there.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
David Andrade says: You keep referencing creating a game, but there is nothing to describe the game. Two parts: How will you tackle your lack of knowledge of game design? And what game design do you plan to implement?
Allo allo David
Thanks for your questions. I hope to answer them below, but if we haven’t completely addressed anything, shout and perhaps we can discuss more.
The game in its essence is a very basic game that is online and an app, hopefully being adapted for android and more if we can raise enough money (through kickstarter and other sources). The aim of the game is a creative tool that many can use, professionally and privately to lighten up and live life.
It is broken down into identifying a feeling, selecting a weapon, taking action and then identifying a more appropriate feeling. What we hope to do once we get some other investors on board is create a more complex and multi-leveled experience, where the avatar, actions and results vary according to individuals experience.
To answer your two questions:
1. Yes, we don’t have much experience in game design, but we do have experience in working with many corporates and consultants creating gamefication type strategies to improve their businesses or enhance behavioural change. I know there is a difference between gamefication and game design but we tend to not get too caught up in semantics when we are working on something we are really passionate about.
We are conceptual and creative beings, and pretty determined at that, to see whatever we touch through, even if it’s not in the traditional way. Its normally what attracts people to work with us.
Therefore, we understand the conceptual approaches of game design, albeit not the correct terminology and traditional way of going about game design. We believe this gives us an edge as we'll always have that as our core understanding when tackling the complications of the user experience, ie. WHY are people engaging with ANDE.
We have a few professionals close at hand who are more than willing to help us on the more technical aspects of the development, because they know our passion, dedication and how we work, and they believe in our product. We love to take things we love by the horns and run with them, which is always amazing because it allows us to explore different creative fields, more often than not very successfully.
And, we have other projects in the pipeline that can pay the bills whilst we develop and gather funding for ANDE.
2. What game design do we plan to implement? Big question, normally asked by consultants, as game design is a pretty broad topic in today’s times. Hmm, do you mean on which platform or our process, which in a nutshell is:
• Our first focus is on the world/environment design – the backstory, the setting, the dialogue and the themes. We are in the process of setting up some forums and workshops to help us explore these avenues more and get some outside feedback. We can email you and let you know when the first one is, we are looking at mid Jan if all goes well.
• We’ll be sitting with a game designer friend to tackle patterns and rules and see our best way forward with coding, and the technological/programming side.
•Tim, our sound engineer is onboard to resolve sound design, as we understand the importance of sound with visual interactions. Hopefully, we'll bring in a composer that we know well to work alongside him to create an ANDE soundtrack, all depending on budgets.
• We are in the process of working out the content, avatars, neurons, weapons, interactions and such, as well as final style (still debating between a more 3D approach or a more vector look).
• We'll be doing rough prototyping of the game as we go to see if the UX is working well and where possible improvements can happen. This we do for all projects we tackle to see relevance, not just game design.
• Our focus is primarily on a streamlined game play that works well in its simplest form. Once this is created we'll obsess on how to make it a more substantial, profitable game.
As said above, hope this answers your questions but shout if you'd like to know more. We are not your normal set of designers/creators, we tend to go on our own creative journey rather than follow sets of rules setup by society. Sometimes this is beneficial and sometimes complete madness, but it really lets us explore other worlds within the creative realm that we wouldn’t normally be able to.
Ciao for now
- (60 days)