I am now offering FREE SHIPPING for overseas backers until the end of the project. This applies to new backers as well as previous backers who bump up a reward level these last three days. If you wanted that signed paperback (or two), now's the time to get it.
WHY I WRITE YA
I LOVE to read YA. I have ever since I was a teen myself. As for writing, I started that at the ripe old age of thirteen, and I honestly think my writer-self is still that age, sighing at the boys and worrying about what I look like and what people think of me. There is something magical about telling a story from that age. As teenagers, we can be creatures of childhood and whimsy, and we can be fierce independent adults, all wrapped in the awkward and beautiful package of adolescence. And yes, there are also zits.
When I decided to write Ghost Hand, I wanted to tap into that magic.
WHAT IS GHOST HAND ABOUT?
There are secrets we keep hidden deep inside of us. Secrets of abuse and abandonment and self-harm. No one can see them. No one can find them. No one can touch us there.
But all that is about to change.
Olivia Black just discovered that her ghost hand, a genetic defect, can do more than light up a room. It can reach into people and pull things out. Things from the darkest depths of the human psyche never meant to exist in this world.
Olivia can pickpocket the soul.
But she can't control her ability, or the strange items it extracts, and the only thing between Olivia and the men bent on taking the power of her hand is a boy she barely knows and doesn't trust.
WHAT ARE PEOPLE SAYING ABOUT IT?
"As an adult reading GHOST HAND, I was struck by how much I wanted to be Olivia Black. Ripley Patton's passion for teens and skill at writing is revealed in Olivia's sassy, smart personality."
- Angel McCoy, Editor of Wily Writers Audible Fiction and horror writer extraordinaire.
"In Ghost Hand the characters talk like real teens, mainly because I made mom take out words like 'goomba', 'buzz off' and 'scared the tar out of me.' So, yeah, she owes me one."
- Valerie Patton, fourteen-year-old daughter of Ripley Patton
"I keep telling her it needs more swearing. And more guns."
- Soren Patton, sixteen-year-old son of Ripley Patton
"She's done with that thing? Does this mean I get her lap back?"
- Jet, the Patton family cat.
"Ripley Patton knows how to deliver a coming-of-age story packed with realistic, rounded characters."
- Edwina Harvey, Editor of Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine, Freelance editor, and author of the YA science fiction novel, The Whale's Tale.
"Ghost Hand is a fresh take on contemporary urban paranormal storytelling with an intriguing supernatural angle, smart YA dialogue, and a story that mixes action, adventure and the personal, Buffy-style." -- Helen Lowe, Gemmell Award-winning author
WHAT IF YOU DON'T READ YA?
I bet you know someone who does. Everyone should have a teenager in their life (or someone who reads like one). Just let me know that your reward is a gift and where to send it. I will even include a card with your personal message on it.
IS GHOST HAND PART OF A SERIES?
Ghost Hand is a complete stand-alone novel, but I already have plans for a second and third book in the Ghost Hand series.
WHAT WILL THE MONEY BE USED FOR?
1. A Professional Edit - Ghost Hand is done and polished, but every novel manuscript needs an objective, professional edit to really make it shine. The average cost for this is about $1,000.
2. ISBNs - An ISBN is an international standard book number that all books must have. To get two ISBNs (one for the e-book and one for the print book) will cost $250.
3. Typesetting and File Conversion - A novel manuscript has to be typeset (or formatted) as a book before it goes to print. The document also has to be converted to various e-book file formats for each different e-reader. This can cost anywhere from $50-$200.
4. Printing Costs - Of course, printing books is not free. Printing a first run of Ghost Hand will cost about $700.
5. Rewards Costs, Fees, and Taxes - Sending Kickstarter Rewards costs money. Plus there are the fees that both Kickstarter and Amazon charge to process your donation. And then there is death- I mean taxes.
WHAT WILL YOU SPEND THE MONEY ON IF YOU GO OVER YOUR GOAL?
First, I will print more copies of Ghost Hand. Second, it will help me travel to the setting of Ghost Hand book two, exotic Indianapolis, Indiana, which also happens to be where three of my brothers live, so clean out the guest room guys, I'm coming for a visit. If there's still something left after that, I'll use it to publish and promote the second book. And I might buy ice cream.
WANT MORE OF GHOST HAND JUST TO BE SURE?
You can read the first two chapters of Ghost Hand on my website HERE. Want even more than that? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org to be added to my Ghost Hand e-mail list and get chapters 3 and 4 mailed directly to your inbox.
But don't forget to return here and BACK Ghost Hand or you might not get to read the rest.
And remember, if you can't back Ghost Hand, I understand. Even if you don't pledge, I would very much appreciate you spreading the word through Facebook, Twitter, your blog, website, Google plus, or even just in an e-mail to a friend.
Thank you for your support,
- (30 days)