Faster-than-light travel has finally allowed humanity to spread beyond its lonely corner of the Milky Way. In the depths of space these explorers found millions of star systems, strange planets, and exotic alien races. Centuries later, they form the Known Worlds, a vital region of trade and technology where empires grow and business thrives.
It is an unparalleled age. Cutting edge science has opened limitless frontiers of space and consciousness, and has even begun to hint at the mysteries of the universe itself. But to find them, one must travel beyond the familiar, to the last parsecs of reality.
Characters cross the cosmos under the auspices of JumpCorp, an intergalactic megacorp that contracts exploration, security, bounty hunting, transportation, and everything in between. Adventures take explorers from system to system and planet to planet, finding strange new civilizations, discovering terrifying creatures, and battling pirates, hostile aliens, rival corporations, and stranger things!
Your hero might be a cynical human, a gregarious yeti, a hot-tempered rakashan, or one of 11 total core races--or you can create your own using the Science Fiction Companion.
A graphic of all the reward levels listed at right can be found at the bottom of this page, but here's what people usually ask us about first--the level that includes "one of everything." That would be the Jump Chief, and it's everything at a discount over adding everything on to a base level separately.
NOTE: The Jump Captain and Jump Chief backer levels include a set of die-cut Savage Worlds Status Counters on thick cardboard (also available as an Add On). We accidentally left these out of the Pledge levels and can't edit the Reward text to reflect this change, so we're doing it here and on the graphic below. Sorry for the inconvenience!
If you'd like to jump into the setting at hyperspeed, check out our short fiction line, Wendigo Tales: Season Three features The Last Parsec, and the first two tales are already out (with four more coming soon).
We're taking a "starbox" approach to the overall setting this time. Races, technology, ships, creatures, and more are all covered in the required Science Fiction Companion, so instead of creating a core book first, we're going to do something a little different.
The Last Parsec blasts off with three setting books and several adventures featuring exciting planets, systems, and fantastic events at the edge of the Known Worlds. We'll produce a second wave of books and other material along with an expanded setting book tying more of the background and events together sometime in 2015.
In the meantime, you can get the essential setting information in The Last Parsec Primer, completely free and available now!
Here are the first three settings for The Last Parsec, written and illustrated by Pinnacle's best. We're only going to sell the books in sets during the Kickstarter--which also gets you the unlocked digital rewards. After the Kickstarter, each book will be available separately as usual.
Each book contains detailed background on a system, planet, or other location, any new Edges, Hindrances, Gear, Ships, or Setting Rules important to the area, a Plot Point Campaign, Savage Tales, and a Bestiary covering the strange xenos and shady characters one might meet in the distant reaches.
Each book is full-color, 96 pages, in our standard graphic novel format so everything lines up nice and neat on your shelf. All three settings are available in softback and Limited Edition hardback.
- Eris Beta-V: A JumpCorp-employed team of explorers investigates a magnificent ringed gas giant with its numerous moons. Ancient artifacts of enormous power can be found among the rings and asteroids. Every moon is a unique world to be explored. When the system’s valuable commerce is threatened by unscrupulous agencies, the team must root them out and put themselves at great risk on the icy fringes of interstellar space. Written by Matt Cutter (Deadlands Brand Manager).
- Scientorium: Hidden away by sheer distance and forever shrouded from the minds of the curious lies a mammoth artifact from the previous galactic age, the library of Scientorium. Its strange experience chambers offer passage to a million histories on a million worlds, secrets and technologies undreamed of. Now abandoned by all but its automated security systems and enigmatic caretakers, its workings are oddly twisted and jealous, meting out reward and punishment in equal measure. This is a classic science fiction saga, an epic journey across space and time in the vein of Niven or Heinlein! Written by Timothy Brian Brown (Dragon Kings, Dark Sun, Traveller).
- Leviathan: Hunt the most dangerous game in the Known Worlds! The jungle planet Leviathan teems with mammoth lacerauns, savage beasts of enormous size and cunning, potential trophies unmatched in any other star system. Intentionally undeveloped beyond a few tourist-oriented settlements, Leviathan nonetheless draws more than just adventure-seeking hunters though, including researchers and those who would see the world left completely untouched. Both are more than willing to turn the tables on any would-be hunters. Written by John Goff (Night Train, Deadlands Noir).
Just like the poster maps we did for Deadlands Noir, Weird Wars Rome, and East Texas University, we're creating two double-sided, dry-erase maps on heavy paper stock. This time out the maps feature four different ships (dropship, freighter, pirate vessel, and research ship) you can use for your JumpCorp team or the treacherous foes who cross their path.
Here's a peek at the map work in progress--we'll update this with more detailed pics as they near completion.
Game Master's Screen
The Last Parsec GM's screen is a tri-fold, landscape screen featuring gorgeous full-color artwork on one side and all the important charts and tables for the game on the other.
The GM's screen also includes The Last Parsec Primer in printed form and an original adventure (that sets up one of our future settings) by Ross Watson called The Enigma Equation.
Our friends at Bronze Age Miniatures have created nine exclusive miniatures representing some of the most popular archetypes from the Savage Worlds Science Fiction Companion and The Last Parsec.
The set contains the aurax, construct, deader, male and female human, insectoid, kalian, Serran, and yeti.
Best of all, if you pledge for the minis during the Kickstarter and the bonus figures listed under Stretch Goals are unlocked (the Floran, Saurian, and Rakashan), we'll include them in your set free!
Everyone who pledges for physical shipments can add additional items to their shipment at no additional shipping cost. (After the KS you can always order these from our store at standard shipping rates.)
Simply increase your pledge by the amount shown. When we send out the Final Survey, your credit will apply.
Here are the additional digital or physical unlocks we plan on releasing if we exceed our original funding goal:
Rogue Traders (Merchant Level)
Kickstarter's Reward boxes don't allow formatting, so we decided to put the list of items and terms here where it's easier to understand:
This Reward level is for "Brick and Mortar" stores only and can be purchased as many times as you like. It includes:
- 3 x Leviathan in Limited Edition Hardback ($75 retail value)
- 3 x Scientorium in Limited Edition Hardback ($75 retail value)
- 3 x Eris Beta-V in Limited Edition Hardback ($75 retail value)
- 3 x GM's Screen + Adventure ($60 retail value)
- 2 x Dropship and Freighter dry-erase, poster-size ship maps ($30 retail value)
- 2 x Pirate and Research Vessel dry-erase poster-size ship maps ($30 retail value)
- 2 x Double Action Deck ($60 retail value)
All this will be shipped freight free to the continental US *BEFORE* general release.
Please note that if we cannot verify your brick and mortar store, you will receive the Jump Captain package and a prorated refund instead.
The books and adventures are already in layout, the first wave of miniatures are done, and we're ready to go. We're using Kickstarter so that we can make some of the extras listed in the Stretch Goals above.
Our last Kickstarter for East Texas University is at the printer and the last of the digital rewards are coming out fast and furious by the 12 to Midnight Crew.
Here's a graphical summary of the Reward levels and all you get with each:
Risks and challenges
Pinnacle has been creating roleplaying games and books since 1994. We've now completed and delivered two Kickstarters and are ready to ship the third (ETU) when it gets back from the printer. Our risks are relatively low, but sometimes life gets in the way, so we believe the greatest risk is simply that the project takes longer than intended for some unforeseen reason.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)