About this project
They say ETU is a great place to earn a quality education without the big city distractions and dangers. This is the 21st century and no one wants to admit they’ve helplessly watched a classmate get sucked into the pages of a library book, come face-to-face with an angry ghost, or glimpsed a creature prowling the campus by the light of the full moon.
College is where you make your own choices and find out who you really are. You can keep your head down, hoping to avoid the twisted horrors you sometimes catch out of the corner of your eye, or you can face your fears, fight the darkness, and protect your campus. Everyone starts out as a wide-eyed freshman, but if you survive four years at ETU you’ll be a hero.
The ETU line debuts with two, 96-page, full-color books in our graphic novel format. We expect to deliver the PDFs in July. Assuming the Kickstarter is successful, the physical products should ship no later than November.
The core book, East Texas University, offers a well-rounded syllabus of character creation, new Edges & Hindrances, gear, Setting Rules, and tours of campus and nearby Pinebox, Texas. For advanced credit, read the section on rituals and talismans. Finally, the Adventure Generator and encyclopedia of miscreants is sure to light a creative spark in even the most humorless campus parking enforcement officer.
The second book, Degrees of Horror, includes a full-length Plot Point Campaign designed to take your class from Freshmen to graduation—if they survive! We can't say much about the plot, but suffice to say it's a Big Deal for Pinebox...and maybe beyond. Degrees of Horror also features a full course-load of Savage Tales that work equally well with the Plot Point Campaign or your own epic saga.
The Game Master's Screen
This tri-fold screen features a scene of chaos on campus on the player's side, and all the important charts and tables for the game on the GM's side. It also includes a full-length 32-page adventure by Ed Wetterman—we'll give you details and show you the cover in one of our first updates.
When students at East Texas University talk about surviving college, they mean it…literally!
We have four Add Ons for everyone who pledges at the Junior level Reward or higher (if you order an Add On and only pledged for PDFs we'll refund your Add On pledge since this doesn't cover the shipping).
These items will be available as Add Ons after the Kickstarter closes, but at a higher retail price. To get the lower prices reflected below, include them in your pledge (you can tell us exactly what the extra funds are for when we mail out the Final Survey).
Note that you must pledge at the Junior level or higher to order any of these items as Add Ons. International customers must add an additional $20 if you add one or more sets of Bennies, miniatures, or Go Ravens! dice. There is no extra cost for shipping the maps.
Add On Details
- Bennies (Pack of 20 high-quality ceramic poker chips): Please add +$15 to your pledge
- All TEN ETU 28mm Miniatures: Please add +$50 to your pledge
- GO RAVENS! Dice set: Please add + $10 to your pledge
- Two double-sided dry-erase poster maps (ETU classrooms, the library, off-campus housing, and Pinebox businesses): Please add $25 (Sorry, we aren't selling the two packs separately during the Kickstarter)
Unlockable Digital Rewards
We're going with the number of *backers* for this Kickstarter rather than funding levels, so *you* can help us get the word out and unlock more and more cool stuff for everyone.
Please note that all unlockable rewards are downloadable PDFs or other digital files.
Here's the schedule of rewards and the number of backers (in parentheses) which unlocks them. Note that our funding must be successful before any rewards are unlocked.
- Soundtrack (200 Backers): The ETU original soundtrack, "Trouble in Texas." UNLOCKED
- Archetypes (300 Backers): Ten full-color, full-page, ready-to-play archetypes, with Figure Flats. UNLOCKED
- Creature Feature — La Bruja (400 Backers ): Art, background, statistics, Figure Flats, and several adventure seeds featuring the terrifying Mexican witches known as la bruja! UNLOCKED
- Figure Flats I - Heroes of ETU (500 Backers): Two full pages of "printable miniatures" including students, faculty, and civilians. UNLOCKED
- A Body Was Found…: (600 Backers ): A 12-page ETU storytelling adventure using the Protocol system. (Find out more at the Postworld Games site) NEW! We're also adding the classic 12tM adventure, Last Rites, to this stretch goal! UNLOCKED
- University Press (700 Backers): Electronic templates to print your own customized handouts including a welcome letter, Dean's List, academic probation, ETU diploma, and blank ETU letterhead. UNLOCKED
- Figure Flats II - Horrors of East Texas (800 Backers): All the critters from the book, including chupacabras, ghosts, an assortment of wicked demons, and more.
- Return of the Chickens in the Mist—Murder Most Fowl! (900 Backers): Follow-up to the original hit adventure, Chickens in the Mist! (Available now at the Pinnacle store.)
- Online Adventure Generator (1,000 Backers): An ETU adventure generator for SWToolset.com, building on—and expanding—the results found in East Texas University.
- The 12 to Midnight Legacy Collection (1200 Backers): Digital copies of ALL the previous Pinebox adventures, including: Last Rites, Chickens in the Mist, Bloodlines, Ed's Midnight Tales, Jerry's Midnight Tales, Skinwalker, Brainwashed, The Beast Within, PLUS the short stories in Buried Tales of Pinebox, Texas.
Merchant Reward Level
Kickstarter's Reward boxes don't allow formatting, so we decided to put the list of items and terms here where it's easier to understand:
This Reward level is for "Brick and Mortar" stores only and can be purchased as many times as you like. It includes:
- 4 x Limited Edition Hardbacks (MSRP $24.99)
- 3 x Regular Editions (MSRP $19.99)
- 3 x GM Screen + Adventure (MSRP $19.99)
- 3 x of each of our two double-sided, dry-erase ETU Maps (MSRP $15 each; 6 packs total featuring the ETU classrooms, the library, off-campus housing, and Pinebox businesses).
All this will be shipped freight free to the continental US *BEFORE* general release.
Please note that if we cannot verify your brick and mortar store, you will receive the Master's Student package and a prorated refund instead.
Add Ons After the Kickstarter
We'll ask for Add Ons before we ship should you wish to add anything, but the prices may be higher, and may require additional shipping charges. We *highly* recommend pledging now if you think you'll want any of the Add Ons (you can always reduce your pledge if you change your mind up until the Kickstarter closes). Thanks!
More on Pinebox and ETU
Want to know more? Visit the original 12 to Midnight site here.
Risks and challenges
Pinnacle has been producing roleplaying games and supplements since 1994, and successfully completed two other Kickstarters—Deadlands Noir and Weird Wars Rome. Like any creative project, however, something could happen to the principals that could slow or halt production of the game for a while.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)