Valk Unit Zero - 2D Action RPG
Story driven experience that is completely influenced by the players actions through butterfly effect mechanics.
Updates & Valkyrie Reveals :
Quick Summary :
- Pixelated 2D Action Adventure RPG
- Windows / Mac / Linux / Steam / DRM-Free Distribution
- Setting is a fusion of Cyberpunk Themes and Norse Mythology.
- Core Mechanic : New Game+ with Tons of Bad Ends.
- Every choice can drastically alter each playthrough.
You take on the role of a Valk Unit in a world where multiple series of events are causing the world's destruction.
You'll re-experience the game over and over, discovering how different choices lead to different results. Like turning back to the first page in a 'Choose your own Adventure' book or restarting the day like in the movie 'Groundhog's Day'. By learning more about the way the world works, and how all the events are interconnected, you'll eventually be able to find 'True End'. Events can vary from being unexpectedly hilarious to morbidly devastating. Our goal is having an absurd amount of these events in the game to truly bring the world to life.
Main story itself is relatively short, by knowing what to do and succeeding well in combat, you'd be able to complete it within a couple hours. The world itself is broken into nine parts, heavily influenced by the nine worlds found in Norse Mythology. Each area will be somewhat compact, but dense with content. The largest scope of this project will come from adding as much variety we possibly can, by making every tiny choice matter, even branching off into more choices. Ultimately the goal is to have everyone's playing experience vastly different from each other.
Valk Unit Zero is our vision of bringing out that enjoyment when you can explore the world of a game and always become surprised by even the little things you can find. That even that seemingly insignificant action you make in the game that seem like it should have consequences, will. You as a player making actions in the game, actually matter. That you feel as if you are also part of the world we built. Just when you finally think you exhausted all the dialogue of a certain npc, a new small action you made trigger a whole new string of dialogue and events. We want to bring a new meaning to "The Devs think of everything."
[Early Development Mock-up Designs, Expect Improvements!]
Everything began with Mother, the Creator of all the Creators. Creators create new life, technology, and seek to make Mother's world prosperous. And everything will come to an end by the Destroyers, those who only seek the destruction of the world. Countless wars were waged between them until a band of Twelve Valkyries wiped out the Destroyers during the Graveland War. Afterwards when it was thought that peace has finally been obtained, the world ended.
Then it began again. A Valk Unit booted up for the first time. The orders given, "Save the world."
A Valkyrie Replica built by X. Tasked with saving the world, has been given the abilities to retain their experience whenever a new recursion occurs.
One of the Ancient Creators created by Mother. Callously will do anything to save the world.
A mischievous being that strives to bring the utmost despair out of others, even if it's only for a fraction of a second before the world is destroyed.
Created by X as a device to record the current Valk Unit's recursion data. The save point. Has a very rash personality.
Another device also created by X, built to retrieve of the battle data of a damaged Valk Unit to transfer to a new Valk Unit body. The checkpoint. Has a timid personality.
The World has nine different areas and sectioned into three realms. The Upper Realm, Mother and the Creators reside here. The Middle Realm, mostly inhabited by creations and lesser destroyers. The Lower Realm, where the Destroyers were born. Every area is brimming with colorful characters, stories, dungeons, mysteries, and so much to discover!
- Upper Haven : Home to the Creators of the Creators, Mother. The ultimate defense structure in the sky. Battle-type Creators, called Wardens vigilantly patrol the skies. Only those who are deemed worthy are allowed entry.
- Photonscape : A Natural Preservation of the memories of the lost worlds. Photons are delicate light wave data that roam the land. A common area for Creators to practice their Runic Arts.
- City of Lights : A Glamorous City where creations have earned the right to live a lavished lifestyle. Forever celebrating the success of the Graveland War, blissfully unaware of the world's problems.
- Industrial District : Headquarters of CEO, producer of high quality services and goods. An endless production of Destroyers, called Workers tirelessly continue to build CEO. Rumors say that when CEO is finished, the world will be destroyed!
- Lower Haven : Creators have build a massive garrison for their creations to be stationed at during the wars. Ever since the end of the Graveland War, Virals, sentient battle data, have started to claim more territory.
- Prison District : A living labyrinth that used to be a massive Destroyer. Prisoners, are Destroyers who have been detained. Used for experiments during the war, many have died, and those who barely survived, turned this place into their home.
- Junk City : Not really a City. Just where everyone puts their trash. Some ancient sentient service data decided to manifest in the Junk. Handy beings, called Junkers. They're able to repair anything, and create anything, they also like to become weapons and shields.
- Graveland : The Final War between Creators and Ancient Destroyers took place here. Graves of the fallen heroes are scattered everywhere. Little living parts of the Ancients still roam the land, called Remnants. Extreme caution is advised.
- Corrupted Sector : Meant to be a large quarantine to prevent Virals from escaping. However a Valkyrie was sent here as punishment, ended up taking over the entire sector, tamed all the Virals, and after a few peace treaties, is now an amusement park.
While our game is primarily a story driven experience, we still want our want our combat to be fluid, fast-paced, and fun!
The World is filled with devious enemies, bosses, traps, dungeons, and many surprises you'll have to be prepared for. Valk Unit is designed for combat and has many ways to be able to survive the world. You'll have three main resources Health, Stamina, and Tech.
We decided to go with 8-directional movement, as it looked and felt so much smoother. You'll have three different speeds of movement, walking which takes no stamina, running which depletes stamina at a small rate, and dashing which also includes invincibility frames, depleting stamina/tech at a high rate.
Blocking will deplete the Tech resource whenever absorbing damage from an attack. During an attack if you release block at the right time, you'll be able to do a counter attack which will stun the enemy.
You'll be able to switch between 12 different weapons during combat. Each weapons have different characteristics offering a variety of different gameplay.
Other gameplay features planned will be a stat leveling system based on souls you collect from those that died. And a Runic Art system that allows you to use runes that you learn from various events, to do specialized skills.
These feature will all be tested and balanced in our Backer Exclusive Battle Demo so we can use your feedback as early as we can in the development, to ensure that it's playable, fun, and challenging.
The Valk Unit Team is made of two. Together we've been designing Valk Unit Zero for over half a year, making sure the development will go as smoothly as possible, designing the story, characters and world, as well as researching other games to make sure ours is as fun as possible!
Part of our 6 month development time has been also been used to hone our own skills, and learn as much as we can about the programs we will be using.
In addition, we have worked on many small projects (ranging from school projects to isolated mechanic testing) with our first “official” game out there being our Ludum Dare 34 Jam Entry: Valk Unit Lawyer!
The entire game was made in 72 hours, and ranked 168 out of 1637! It has a few characters from Valk Unit Zero, so have fun looking for them!
We have been investing our money and time to hone the skills and obtain the tools needed to able to bring this project to life. However, in order to bring out most potential of this project we decided to turn to crowdfunding to hire collaborators and obtain valuable feedback from our backers.
@oz2mura – Designer/Programmer: Love designing games, love/hate programming, wishes for enough patience to do art, pretends to know how to do music. Abstracting and figuring out how games tick has become a passion.
@Pumpkinnette - Artist: loves spooky cute stuff and pixel art. Dream is to make unique games with fun characters that people fall in love with.
Together we want to make games that are engaging, unique and to have the players say: Wow they thought of everything!
Come follow us on twitter!
Reasons we went with Kickstarter :
- Kickstarter is a great tool to be able to get feedback and communicate with our supporters, and we want to do this as early as we can in the development process
- The funds we obtain will help us establish a company, pay for outsourced work, marketing, and promotional swag for our backers.
- A successful Kickstarter campaign will help us validate this project, letting us confidentially develop Valk Unit Zero knowing we have your support!
Our plans with Kickstarter :
- We want to use kickstarter to post all our development updates, ideally with plans to update every Sunday with stuff like progress report, any setbacks, design notes, concepts. For Backers Only.
- Our main way to converse with backers through kickstarter's messaging system to get impressions, feedback, and bug reports.
Most of our kickstarter development money is going to pay for the music. Fluidvolt has kindly made music for our trailer, but in order for Valk Unit Zero to have a fully realized soundtrack we need Kickstarter funding!
Here you can listen to some of Fluidvolt's previous work.
The reason our development budget is at a low 15,000 USD, is that it'll mainly be used for outsourcing sound/music. Majority of the rest of the development will done in-house at our own expense. And we will only see a profit until after the game is released, which we feel is fair.
All funds that exceed past the budget will be focused on promotional and marketing costs which includes adding bonus swag to physical reward tiers.
The 10$ Reward Tier and above entitles you to a DRM-Free Copy of Valk Unit Zero for PC (Windows/Mac/Linux). This will also include a Steam Key (Please look out for our Steam Greenlight.)
We are also planning to release Valk Unit Zero with Sony on PS4/Vita (Pending Approval) and upon a successful release we will send out a download key to all those in the 20$ Reward Tier and above.
We're expecting to have at least 30 tracks and wanted a psychological, surreal, dream-like composition, so we knew we had to grab Fluidvolt for the job! They also did the music for our kickstarter trailer. Here's their Soundcloud and Bandcamp, kickback and enjoy.
You'll be able to participate in the front lines of crushing the bugs running rampant in the world of Valk Unit Zero. Those who are able to find a unreported bug will be able to include a 140 character PG-13 rated message along with their credit name. Also be eligible to participate in gathering battle data in our Backer Exclusive Demo to help ensure that our combat mechanics are well balanced and fun.
Made with our designs at Ink It Labs. A 2" Candy Gloss Black Acrylic Charms with 1/8 in. (3.175mm) Thickness. We will include a Key Chain and a Phone Strap, so that you can decide how you'll keep the mini Valk Unit at your side.
We will archive our entire development process from start to finish. Even taking pictures of our work space, storyboards, character designs, weapons designs, promotional art work, design notes, and evens designs that don't make it into the game. All in a downloadable PDF.
A 2-Disc Jewel Case containing the Game and OST. A Full Color 24 Page Art Booklet (4.75" x 4.75") with filled concept art, sketches and little secrets just for you.
We will design a 11" x 14" white matte metal print that we'll have made at Canvas Press. Ink bonded to the metal, making them extremely resistant to fading, even if displayed outdoors. Their inks are rated to last 75 years, so you'll be able to enjoy our limited(10) metal prints for a very long time.
Based on your ideas we will design a friendly NPC's looks and personality. Work closely with us so that we can make sure that the character will fit into the lore of the Valk Unit Zero universe and be able to play a role in the subplot stories.
Based on your ideas we will design a enemy NPC. You'll be able to design the looks, personality, AI, and attack moves. Work closely with us so that we can make sure that the character fits into the Valk Unit Zero's universe. They will be unique and be able to play a role in the story.
Based on your ideas, we will design a Hidden Boss' appearance, personality, attacks, AI, and it's own secret area. Work closely with us so that we can make sure that it'll fit into the Valk Unit Zero lore. They will have their own unique subplot to be able to access their secret area.
- Follow us on twitter! Retweet everything!
- Like our Facebook!
- Share our Youtube Trailer!
- Here's images to help promote!
- Link us to friends, family, and online communities!
- Pledge at least 1$ and leave a comment!
Risks and challenges
Risks and challenges
Running out of funds : Most of the work will be done in-house at our own expense. Majority of the budget will be used to pay for all other expenses that we meticulously planned for to make the project a reality.
Delayed Release : We have given ourselves more time than needed to complete the project. However, if there is any potential set backs we will immediately report in an update.
End Note : We are prepared for the worst, and we will strive for the best. It is your money that is being used to kick start our project, so we feel it's fair to be as transparent as we can be about everything we do. We will update and inform on any unforeseen challenges we may face and how we plan on dealing with it.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)