About this project
ROTLAND PRESS presents BLACK EYE 2.
BLACK EYE 2 is the long-awaited follow-up to the Ignatz-nominated anthology that collects original narrative comics, art, fiction, poetry and essays by a group of international artists and writers, all focused on the expression of humor and despair.
Of BLACK EYE 1, the artist + filmmaker David Lynch has said: "It has a good feel."
With new comics and art by:
Max Clotfelter (USA) / Richard Cowdry (UK) / Hugleikur Dagson (Iceland) / Michael DeForge (Canada) / J.T. Dockery (USA) / Brecht Evens (Belgium) / Quentin Faucompre (France) / Sam Gross (USA) / Danny Hellman (USA) / Ian Huebert (USA) / David Hughes (UK) / David Lynch (USA) / Benjamin Marra (USA) / Paul Nudd (USA) / Onsmith (USA) / David Paleo (Argentina) / Helge Reumann (Switzerland) / Hans Rickheit (USA) / Martin Rowson (UK) / Stephen William Schudlich (USA) / David Shrigley (UK) / Ed Subitzky (USA) / Brecht Vandenbroucke (Belgium)
With texts by:
Paul Krassner, groundbreaking editor and founder of The Realist (1958-2001), provides a previously unpublished essay / Bob Levin offers up an excerpt from his unpublished satirical novel The Schiz / Jesse Nathan, poetry editor of the McSweeney’s Poetry Series, contributes new poetry and prose pieces / the late Michael O'Donoghue, a major creative force behind the early years of The National Lampoon and the first head-writer for Saturday Night Live (on which he appeared as "Mr. Mike) is present with a long out-of-print essay that once appeared in Spin magazine.
Supplement- MEMORY OF POSADA:
Also included within BLACK EYE 2 as a 24-page supplemental book-within-the-book: MEMORY OF POSADA, in which 18 illustrators/graphic artists/cartoonists respond to the work of Mexican artist J.G. Posada. The contributors are:
Stéphane Blanquet (France) / Marie-Pierre Brunel (France) / Lilli Carré (USA) / Frédéric Coché (Belgium) / Sue Coe (USA) / Andrea Dezsö / D.B. Dowd (USA) / Henrick Drescher (China) / Bill Fick (USA) / Sanya Glisic (USA) / Donald Kilpatrick III (USA) / Peter Kuper (USA) / Jeff Ladouceur (USA) / Mats!? (USA) / Marc Brunier Mestas (France) / David Sandlin (USA) / Mahendra Singh (Canada) / Wouter Vanhaelemeesch (Belgium)
BLACK EYE 2 is edited by Ryan Standfest and published by ROTLAND PRESS, Detroit, Michigan, USA.
BLACK EYE 2 will be 112 page soft-cover, offset printed with color covers, and black and white interior pages on a matte stock, measuring 9 x 5.75 inches, with a print run limited to 1000 copies.
- Copies of the ultra-limited edition catalog to the exhibition MOROSE DELECTATION. The exhibition served as a companion to the anthology BLACK EYE 1: Graphic Transmissions to Cause Ocular Hypertension, presenting works on paper by ten of the contributors to that book: Max Clotfelter, Andy Gabrysiak, Ian Huebert, Kaz, James Moore, Tom Neely, Paul Nudd, Onsmith, David Paleo and Stephen William Schudlich. Continuing with the aim of BLACK EYE 1,the catalog collected comix and art from the MOROSE DELECTATION exhibition along with additional images that expressed Black Humor. Generously illustrated with previously unpublished images NOT found in BLACK EYE 1 this book contains an introduction, new texts written by all of the participating artists— addressing the relationship of their work to Black Humor— and a complete and up-to-date bio-bibliography. PRINT RUN IS LIMITED TO ONLY 100 NUMBERED COPIES, signed and numbered by the editor in silver ink and hand-stamped with a special "Rotland Press Limited Edition" logo. Softcover, 60 pages, full color, 8 x 10 inches. Edited and designed by Ryan Standfest. Published by Rotland Press, 2011.
- At the $50.00 pledge level, backers can choose from two different reward options. For one, Brooklyn-based artist Danny Hellman has made available a limited edition silkscreen print. $50.00 backers can choose to receive a 11x14 inch print titled Cemetary Nude, which originally appeared within the pages of BLACK EYE 1. A tone poem for Thanatos and Eros, this image is now in glorious black and blue printed on thick archival stock in a signed and numbered edition of 200. Here is a link to an image of the print: http://dannyhellman.tumblr.com/image/32376368873
- A "bundle" of ROTLAND PRESS artist cards. To promote BLACK EYE 2, there will be a limited printing of postcards showcasing images not found in the book by the "BLACK EYE BUNCH" also known as "those who have contributed to BLACK EYE."
- The first three issues of the forthcoming ROTLAND PRESS series ROTLAND DREADFULS. Each is 16 pages, offset printed and staplebound, measuring 8.25 x 5.25 inches. These are slated for June 2013 publication, alongside BLACK EYE 2, with issues by Stephen William Schudlich, Andy Gabrysiak, Ian Huebert and Paul Nudd. Each issue is signed by the author/artist and numbered in an edition of 200.
- ROTLAND HOLIDAY CARDS: You may be one of the lucky contributors to have a ROTLAND HOLIDAY CARD sent to you or a loved one, directly through the US Mail! That's right, you will be able to choose three holidays out of the year, and have a personalized "Rotland-style"card mailed to you or a recipient of your choice, by the designated holidays. Each card is specific to that holiday and will tackle it in an appropriately black or absurdist tone. Please note: these are for holidays only, not birthdays. Each card is printed on heavy stock in a limited run of 25 copies.
To purchase past ROTLAND PRESS publications or to find out more BLACK EYE 1, please visit http://ryanstandfest.com/s-t-o-r-e
BLACK EYE 2 is scheduled for June 2013 publication.
Your kind contributions will assist with printing costs, and will help to maintain a high level of quality. The use of Kickstarter is seen as a means to pre-sell this book, the sale of which will immediately pay all of the contributors for their efforts. Thank you for your interest and thank you for your support.
For further information on ROTLAND PRESS, as well as updates on the production of BLACK EYE 2 please visit ROTLAND PRESS on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RotlandPress?ref=ts&fref=ts
Risks and challenges
All of the work has been collected by the contributing artists and the book has been assembled for the printer. Funding of this project is a form of pre-selling that will ensure its printing and distribution. Although the turnaround time for printing is fast, shipping many copies of a book out to contributors will take some time. So please have patience with the process of delivery. Updates will be posted both on Kickstarter and on Facebook.
Thank you for your interest.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Support this project
- (30 days)