Bliss-Box 4-play: Universal Video Game Controller Adapter
This is the world's best, most compatible, and most cost effective adapter system. It's the only way to play!
Bliss-Box is a company by gamers for gamers! We're dedicated to making sure you always have the absolute best gaming experience possible. Since 2007, we've strived for the preservation of gaming history by ensuring that the controllers and peripherals of antiquity will be usable for generations to come. We believe that what we play is just as important as how we play it.
A very successful year has passed and we are back! We're proud to announce it's time for Bliss-Box to raise the bar yet again. With over 400 units sold, our current goal is to release the ultimate expansion kit. This Kickstarter campaign will ensure that gamers around the world can play with virtually any peripheral ever made for years to come. Help us to keep gaming history alive and to preserve our culture!
What is the Bliss-Box 4-play?
The Bliss-Box 4-play is the world's best, most compatible, and most cost effective adapter system. It allows gamers to connect and play with virtually any controller ever made. A single 4-play unit allows up to four simultaneous players, each using any controller they'd like. It works with PC, Mac, Linux, Android, and essentially any USB capable device.
Best of all is that it's plug and play with no drivers, no assembly required, and no humanly perceptible latency.
How Does it Work?
Players connect to the 4-play hub via specially designed HDMI-to-Controller patch cables. There's a patch cable to match every console controller type in existence. Using this method means that all it takes to expand the 4-plays capabilities is to create a new patch cable. The cables are compact, straightforward, easy to keep organized, and much more cost effective than using a standalone adapter for each system.
Once a controller is connected and the 4-play is plugged in, the 4-play auto-detects the peripheral type and handles all of the signal conversion itself before outputting to your device via USB. Since the 4-play doesn't need to be unplugged when you change controllers, your Operating System, game, and emulator don't lose the USB ID or require reidentifying the controller. The 4-play will even pause your game when you unplug the controller so you can hotswap on the fly.
Where Can I Get One?
In addition to the rewards offered in this Kickstarter, the 4-play is available on our website along with the originally released patch cables.
Bliss-Box prides itself on offering the most impressive compatibility list in the world, supporting almost every peripheral ever made. Historically speaking, anything you could plug into a console or older computer system will work with the 4-play! We never rest on our laurels either; new uses are being explored and tested every single day to take full advantage of the device's capabilities.
Here's a list of supported connection types:
- Apple Bandai Pippin ATMARK*
- Atari Jaguar*
- DB9 (See Full DB9 List Below)
- DH15 (See Full DH15 List Below)
- GCE Vectrex*
- NEC PC Engine / NEC TurboGrafx-16 (Full-Sized)*
- NEC PC Engine / NEC TurboGrafx-16 (Mini)*
- NEC PC-FX*
- Nintendo 64
- Nintendo GameCube
- Nintendo Entertainment System
- Nintendo Virtual Boy*
- Nintendo Wii Remote Expansion Port (Nunchuk, Classic Controller)*
- Sega Dreamcast
- Sega Saturn
- Sony PlayStation
- Sony PlayStation 2
- Super Nintendo Entertainment System / Super Famicom
The following system/controller types work with DB9:
- Amstrad GX-4000
- Atari 2600
- Atari 7200
- Bally Astrocade
- Commodore 64
- Commodore Amiga CD32
- Interton Electronic VC-4000
- Mattel Intellivision
- Panasonic 3DO
- Retro computer system peripherals
- Sega Genesis
- Sega SG-1000
- Sega Master System
- Sinclair ZX-Spectrum
The following system/controller types work with DH15:
- Atari 5200
- SNK Neo Geo AES
Unlike with previously existing standalone adapters, the 4-play works with more than just a few specific controllers. You can game with practically any peripheral that's compatible with these connection types! We don't just make your controllers work, we make them work exactly like they do on the original systems right down to the use of add-on packs and accessories like Sega Dreamcast's VMU or Nintendo 64's Hey You, Pikachu! VRU. This is a previously unattainable capability that opens up a new world of possibilities for developers to maximize authenticity in the gaming experience!
The gameport cable will feature 4 analog to DC converters for the older joysticks and allow the digital joysticks to be added. The firmware for the gameport has been developed for 3 digital gamepads already. The current digital list can grow but at the moment is limited to; Sidewinder FFB pro (no FFB yet), Gravis exterminator, and the hammer head.
- Updates: Updating the 4-play is quick and easy via USB. New features and controller support updates are added to the site regularly. Each 4-play controller port has its own firmware chip so multiple firmware versions can be used if so desired.
- Force Feedback: Controller rumble works for supported devices on Nintendo 64, Nintendo GameCube, Sony PlayStation, Sony PlayStation 2, and Sega Dreamcast. This includes non-standard peripherals, such as force feedback steering wheels!
- Developer API: Enthusiasts and emulator developers alike can take advantage of our API to create custom programming. Moving forward, this will enable devs to program for Sega Dreamcasts VMU, Nintendo 64's VRU, and even for devices like memory cards.
- Auto Pause Detection (Hot Swapping): It's easy to switch between controllers mid-game! The 4-play will pause your game when a controller becomes unplugged and automatically detect a new controller so you can get back into the action when you're ready.
- Global Button Mapping: The 4-play's internal button mapping is setup such that buttons on different controllers match each others' layouts as closely as possible. This makes hot swapping easier and more intuitive. You can remap the inputs any way you'd like in your game or emulator but you probably won't even have to.
- UDLR Mode (D-Pad Only Mode): With the press of a few buttons on your controller you can switch to D-Pad only mode, which allows the player to use the D-Pad to play a game which would normally require an analog stick. This enables you to hot swap to non-analog controllers while playing an analog game. This mode is also controller-port specific, so Player 1 on the 4-play can use it while other players are free to choose not to.
- Button Rotation: This rotates the right-hand inputs a 90 degrees counter-clockwise. This is great if you prefer the PSX setup and it goes hand in hand with global mapping. If you don't like the way the mapping works when going from NES to SNES, for example, this mode will make your day.
- Single-Mode Operation: The 4-play can be switched to single player mode, which allows for some advanced features such as the ability to use the 4-play on an Xbox with special firmware. It also lets you use the 4-play with a Titan One (and its clone Cronus Max) adapter and enables you to up-link to Bliss-Box add-ons.
One of our primary goal is to keep costs as low as possible and we normally cut the profit margin by 60% to achieve this. For this Kickstarter, we're willing to accept zero profit. The Bliss-Box 4-play is an important device that should be accessible by everyone. The survival of the 4-play product line is important to the preservation of our history; nothing else captures the essence and feel of gaming through the ages. We wish to encourage maximum participation. It's not about the money, it's about awareness. We know we have an incredible product and we want to see it in the hands of gamers everywhere.
The original Bliss-Box 4-play kit features eight types of patch cables for various systems. Now we'll be offering ten additional types of patch cables and you can get your hands on a new kit featuring eighteen cables from the expansion set!
- 1x Apple Bandai Pippin ATMARK
- 2x Atari Jaguar
- 1x GCE Vectrex
- 1x Nintendo Virtual Boy
- 1x NEC PC Engine / NEC TurboGrafx-16 (Full-Sized)
- 2x NEC PC Engine / NEC TurboGrafx-16 (Mini)
- 2x NEC PC-FX
- 4x Nintendo Wii Expansion Port
- 2x PC Gameport
- 2x DH15 (See Full DH15 List Below)
Sold separately, this would be about $90 as each cable would be valued at $5 a piece. By selling the product as part of this specific kit we're able slash costs dramatically. Post-Kickstarter, we'll be offering it to the public for $85. If you buy it now through this funding campaign, we're offering the expansion kit at the special Kickstarter Supporter Deal of $75! You can't get this kind of bang for your buck with any other adapter on the market.
The 4-play is a tried-and-true product but Bliss-Box has support forums in place in addition to detailed documentation and one-on-one firmware support.
About the Rewards
All rewards grant access to Kickstarter backer updates. The rewards have been divided into two categories, Cables and Kits, with more rewards being unlocked by Stretch Goals.
Cable Rewards: These rewards will let you choose the specific cables in which you're interested from the new expansion without having to purchase an all new 4-play kit.
Kit Rewards: Initially, 100 new and improved 4-play kits will be available and they are at a reduced price. More kits will become available through stretch goals. If you can't wait to get your hands on one, they're also available at our store, though the expansion set is currently a Kickstarter exclusive.
For reward cable selections, pick from any of the these New Cable Types. You specify your selection during the end of the KS under Surveys. Use the labels in bold to identify your cable selections.
We decided to add a large reward for those who would like to learn more about the company! It's an all-expense-paid tour of our manufacturing facilities, including:
- A visit the factory, Etonnet LLC Shanghai office, SMT line, injection molding tools, and mechanical company
- Giant Electrical parts mall in Shanghai
- Maglev train ride to and from airport
- Travel to and from your local airport to the airport of departure.
- Hotel costs while in China
(Terms and Condition pending)
New Cable Types
(Use the bolded names when choosing reward cables)
ATMARK- (Apple Bandai Pippin ATMARK )
Jaguar - (Atari Jaguar )
Vectrex -( GCE Vectrex )
V-Boy - (Nintendo Virtual Boy )
TG16 large - (NEC PC Engine / NEC TurboGrafx-16 (Full-Sized))
TG16 mini - (NEC PC Engine / NEC TurboGrafx-16 (Mini))
PC-FX - (NEC PCE)
Game port - (PC Game port)
Wii - (Nintendo Wii Expansion Port )
NeoGeo - (SNK Neo Geo AES / Atari 5200)
Single Action play - Adapter.
Add a, ship Single Action play with my pledge. We have decided to add the Single Action player adapter to the tail end of this KS. Whether you want a smaller and more compact version of the 4-play or maybe you just one that one rare adapter, this option is for you. the Single Action play will be a very simple design of the 4-play in single player mode. This adapter will have everything the 4-play has to offer minus the 4 player ability. The single play will be the adapter ONLY. You cannot buy the single play in a kit option at this time, though you can bundle it with any of the current pledges option. That means you will not have the current basic kit cables unless you already own them. We understand this is a drawback but without adding to the current goal it’s not possible with the cost margin. If the KS does hit the Goal IV you will be able to pledge against the older cables and can add change or upgrade your pledges then. To add the Single Play to your pledge just add 39.00 to your pledge. When the KS is over there will be an option to redeem your single play adapter. Shipping is already factored in the price globally.
Design wise, more then likely, it will be rectangle and black. There are no prototypes at this time but it is based on the same 4-play design so it will have the same interface.
All shipping costs will be calculated using a flat rate. Two expansion kits will fit in one parcel bag. Anything less will also go out in the very same bag. Anything more may require multiple shipments.
Stretch Goal I ($65,000.00):
Once we hit $65k, 100 more 4-play basic Kits will become available.
Stretch Goal II ($75,000.00):
Once we shoot through $75k, 100 more 4-play basic Kits will be made available.
Additionally, we aim to finally reveal our top-secret invention(patent pending #516780170)! It's a blast from the past we've all missed dearly that's guaranteed to blow you away! This baby's locked and loaded to reinvigorate a classic genre. Not only that but it's of a scope and caliber that we expect even modern gaming devs to have it in their sights, ready to pull the trigger. Get ready to go ballistic over a volley of new rewards, including early access opportunities!
Stretch Goal III ($85,000.00):
Once we hit $85k, 100 more 4-play basic Kits will be made available.
Stretch Goal IV ($150,000.00):
If we reach this monumental goal, we will open up the rewards to allow you to choose a mix of new and previously-available patch cables!
Remember, you can always upgrade your rewards!!
Tell your friends about this Kickstarter! Tell your enemies! Tell the whole world! Even without donating you can make a difference. Share this Kickstarter and it's associated videos on social media to help us get the word out. Only with your support can we be sure to authentically preserve gaming history for future generations.
HyperSpin Cinematic Themes: James Baker https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxNgRrtLSth94xOHNUHqUfw
Background Music: OC ReMix #2091: Final Fantasy V 'The Path to Glory' [Main Theme of FINAL FANTASY V] by Sixto Sounds ReMixer: Sixto Sounds http://ocremix.org/remix/OCR02091/ FREE at http://ocremix.org • SHIRTS & HOODIES! http://ocremix.org/store/ • DONATE! http://bit.ly/ocrPayPal Facebook! http://facebook.com/ocremix • Twitter! http://twitter.com/ocremix
Risks and challenges
The Bliss-Box 4-play is a proven, commercially available product with a remarkably positive reputation and unprecedented support. Our factory is primed and ready to start production on the new expansion cables, which have been tested and confirmed to be fully functional. We carry out shipments on a regular basis; once funded you can anticipate minimal delay in receiving your rewards.
The factory requires a minimum order of 1,000 for each cable. That would mean selling at least 500 kits but there will be some over head. We're looking forward to welcoming some new Bliss-Box enthusiasts to get us to that mark. All cable sales help, of course.
- (60 days)