Ground Up will be a vibrant cafe located within the Springfield Innovation Center serving handmade, inventive, yet accessible food & beverages. Our food menu will be lively and fun, combining fresh local foods, old-world techniques and modern inspirations. Our beverage menu will focus on high-quality, barista-prepared coffee in the morning and a small selection of craft beer, wine and house-made cocktails after work.
Our inviting café will serve as a place for entrepreneurs, residents, students, and business professionals to meet, exchange ideas and inspire one another. Come by for breakfast, a lunch meeting, or an after-work cocktail and snack. We also plan to provide creative catering services for special events, office functions and parties. We can't wait until you can stop on over and enjoy something delicious, and perhaps unexpected at Ground Up Cafe.
We aren't content being "just a cafe." Once established and profitable, we will begin rolling out components of phase 2 slowly and strategically. Here's our vision:
- An affordable commissary kitchen for local start-up food businesses to rent space
- A barista and bartender training program focused on Springfield residents with barriers to employment
- A test kitchen for established chefs and budding restaurant entrepreneurs alike to test new concepts and showcase their talents
- A full dinner menu & catering service
Be inventive: We believe in being original, creating new flavor combinations, and taking chances. We aren’t afraid to chart a new course and encourage others to do the same.
Make It Fresh: Our menu is made locally and made fresh by people who take incredible pride in their work. We source ingredients locally whenever possible and build partnership with local farms.
Strengthen Our Community: We want to help fuel Springfield's comeback and inspire more people to get involved. Built for the Springfield community; we encourage collaboration and idea exchange between people of all backgrounds.
OUR DREAM TEAM
John Peter Wentworth, formerly co- head chef at The Dirty Truth in Northampton, head chef and general manager at King Street Eats, co-owner of Fast Friends at Gateway City Arts,and chef / beverage manager of Gateway City Arts will be Chef Manager.
Jared Henshaw, who was previously the GM for Rao’s Coffee in Amherst and Northampton will be running the coffee program and overseeing our staff training and management.
- We are located in the heart of the downtown business district, next to Valley Venture Mentors, The Women's Fund, New England Public Radio & The Community Foundation
- Our 2,500 sq space has original wood floors, brand new systems, new bathrooms & existing kitchen equipment
- We negotiated a below-market 5 year lease with our landlord, DevelopSpringfield
- We have partnered with highest quality coffee roaster in the Northeast to supply beans and will have well-trained baristas on staff
- The funds raised will go towards making our cafe space as inviting and comfortable as possible
A QUICK THANK YOU
Thank you so much to all the wonderful folks who contributed to our cafe planning and kickstarter launch, including Shayvonne Plummer, Pancho Tomaselli, Pat Beaudry, Matoaca Fletcher, Laura Masulis & Derek Nobel of Steffian Bradley Architects. A huge shoutout to Bob of Oak & Anvil Productions for filming our Kickstarter video and helping us tell this story. And thank you to all our friends, family & neighbors for helping to spread the word!
Risks and challenges
While we have ambitious goals to bring new energy and offerings to the Springfield food scene, we have agreed to focus first on perfecting our core operations to ensure we can provide delicious food and beverages in a comfortable and inviting space. Our founding team offers a solid mix of business and financial expertise, people management skills, culinary prowess, and practical operations management.
We expect each day to bring new challenges, like inspections, hiring an awesome staff, and trying to keep the build-out timeline on track. It's impossible to predict everything that will go wrong, but we fully expect things will. We invite challenges, and plan to tackle them head-on as a team, and we appreciate your faith in us as we work out the kinks. We couldn't do it without you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (45 days)