Hi. We're Casey and Deke.
Deke spent the last several years traveling the world and working in Antarctica. To get there, he had to travel through New Zealand, where he discovered the ubiquitous and tasty meat pie.
For over a year now Deke has had the idea to bring these delicious treats to the USA. When Deke moved to Seattle, Casey convinced him to merge that idea with his plans for a bakery. Well, over a year later the bakery still has no suitable location. So, we took a step back and reevaluated our goal. We decided to follow in the footsteps of many other great entrepreneurs and open a food truck selling those New Zealand pies!
The pies are popular throughout the British Commonwealth. Steak and onion is common, and possibly familiar to some of you here. They are a great lunch on the go. Ours are about 5 inches across and meant to be hand held. We'll have many meaty fillings to choose from as well as veggie pies and curries. Of course we'll have fruit pies for dessert and an assortment of other baked sweets. Take a look at our menu for more details on what we plan to serve.
We've been developing this plan for the last six months. Neither of us was very familiar with the food truck industry. It is seemingly still a fledgling concept for Seattle, and the licensing process has been convoluted to say the least.
When we aren't learning the system, we've been focusing hard on our pie recipes. We've devoted considerable attention to the crust and think we have the tastiest, flakiest, and most tender crust that fat and flour can produce. Our fillings are as flavorful and succulent as can be had, yet won't leave you with a literal mess on your hands. We're excited to be able to start serving them.
On the other hand, getting the truck up and running has been a challenge. If you watch the video there is bit of exaggeration in the problems we encountered. Yes, we really did find wasps in the truck at one point. The truck is about 75% ready at this point, and we can't wait until we're out on the road.
We're starting this Kickstarter project to purchase the remaining equipment and permits we need. Our primary goal of $10,000 is for the necessities. This includes:
- Painting the truck. Appearances are everything, ya know.
- Special ordering propane pie warmers from England. Somehow England is the only country that makes these.
- Some kitchen equipment like a larger refrigerator, and the Giant Rolling Pin. All of our pies are hand made.
- And, of course the all important King county permits.
- Solar panels. These can easily meet all our electrical needs.
- A fancy large immersion circulator for the ideal cooking environment.
- Books and supplies to research new and exciting pie recipes.
- And more mechanical work for the truck. We didn't opt for the Steven King self healing truck. I think that was probably the best choice.
We have some great swag for our backers, as well as our undying gratitude. Here's an example of our fabulous T-shirts. The logo is a work in progress. That means it will look even better when you get the shirt!
If a particular reward doesn't appeal to you we'd be happy to discuss a substitute. Thanks for visiting! It is our sincere hope this project is successful so we can start bringing our pies to you without delay. Cheers!
- (30 days)