WE REACHED OUR VINYL GOAL ON KICKSTARTER!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!
Everything changed in a matter of minutes. Unbelievable. I've been getting a lot of messages with questions regarding vinyl, pledges, what happens now, etc. Below should answer the majority. If it doesn't, please feel free to be more specific in a private message, and I'll be more than happy to help. Thanks again! This is incredible. There's something in my eye.... -Todd
1) YES, you can always change your $20 CD pledge to a $20 VINYL pledge on Kickstarter. If you've pledged higher, you have the option of switching from CD to Vinyl, just send me a message regarding preference on Kickstarter.
2) YES, you can still contribute if you haven't already. The Kickstarter officially ends Wednesday, Sep. 11, 10:19am EDT. Pledges from this point on will go directly towards upgrading vinyl packaging and the weight of the vinyl to enhance fidelity. To be specific, we are now budgeted for a 125 gram record, with regular sleeve. If pledges continue to increase, we could upgrade from a regular jacket, to a gatefold jacket, allowing for more artwork and text. We could also increase the weight of the vinyl from 125 to 140 gram, then 180 gram. Heavier weight increases durability and improves sound.
3) YES, you can change your pledge from any one tier to another. This should be a very simple "touch o' the button" process, but if you have any questions, let me know.
4) YES, for those of you who have chosen this specific tier, you may bring ONE GUEST to the Private Mekong Listening Party. Please let me know in advance on Kickstarter if you are bringing a plus-one, as there will be a guest check-in at the door.
5) YES, the vinyl will include a digital download card, so that you will have a digital copy of the record as well.
6) NO, there are NO PENALTIES OR RISKS for upgrades or changes to current pledges.
I hope this helps answer your questions, please let me know if you have any others.
THANK YOU EVERYBODY!!!!!! THIS IS COMPLETELY AMAZING!!!!!!
We reached our goal in 5 days! Thank you so much, everyone!!! That's just incredible, and completely unexpected. We're updating the Kickstarter to include a stretch goal, so that the possibility of releasing a vinyl version of "Things" can become a reality.
If we reach our new goal of $7,500 or more, we will be able to manufacture a vinyl version of the record (digital download card included!).
If this updated goal is reached, anyone who has pledged $20 or more, will have the choice of switching from cd to vinyl(w download card). Anyone who has pledged $75 or more will receive BOTH the cd and the vinyl(w download card)versions. Due time constraints in vinyl manufacturing, we will be unable to offer a signed personnel copy. This version will, however, be signed by me.
*As you can see, we've added a new, $20 vinyl reward. Please note that you will only receive this if we make the goal of $7500 or more. If we do not make it, it will revert to the previous $20 reward.
If we do make the $7,500 or more mark, then ALL BACKERS will received a digital copy of an unreleased, mixed & mastered track from the "Things" sessions!
Thank you so much, for all of the support! This is an incredible experience, and I can't wait for you to hear "Things"!
$7,500 or more
If we reach our new goal of $7,500 or more you will have the option of the following:
$20 - A vinyl version of "Things" with digital download card included, signed by Todd.
*Anyone who has previously pledged $20 or more may exchange the cd for vinyl (w digital download card), if we reach the stretch goal.
$100 or more- You will receive all rewards listed in the tier, PLUS a copy of the vinyl (w digital download card) version of "Things".
$125 you will receive a print of your choice (1 of 6 to choose from), PLUS a signed copy of the cd by me, or if we reach our stretch goal, you will have the option of a signed vinyl copy.
$250 or more- You will receive all rewards listed in the tier, PLUS a copy of the vinyl (w digital download card) version of "Things".
$500 or more- You will receive all rewards listed in the tier, PLUS a copy of the vinyl (w digital download card) version of "Things".
$1000 or more- You will receive all rewards listed in the tier, PLUS a copy of the vinyl (w digital download card) version of "Things".
*If we reach our new goal of $7,500, ALL BACKERS will receive a digital, unreleased, mixed and mastered track from the "Things" session.
My name is Todd Herrington. I'm a Richmond, Va. based musician/artist working to complete and release my first solo record entitled, "Things". I have been part of many nationally and internationally released recordings before, but this will be the first with my name, and my name only on the final product. Therefore, I feel solely responsible for the contents of the album, and the album's future. I can assure you that I take this very seriously, and have put, and will continue to put, as much love and hard-work into this body of music, as I possibly can.
I've personally financed everything up until this point; recording sessions, mixing sessions, re-mixing sessions, late night take-out, couches to crash on, shoulders to cry on..etc. As I write this, I am not backed by a label of any kind, this is as independent as it gets. Any items you receive for your pledge will, in most cases, be put together by me, probably in my apartment, and sent to you from the local post office just a few blocks away.
Rewards & Incentives
I've tried to make the incentives as personal, and as meaningful as possible. For example, I am an artist as well as a musician, so two of the pledge tiers include personalized paintings, painted by me, specifically for you. If you're unfamiliar with my work, here's a sample-
You'll notice that I am offering cd's and not vinyl. I am a massive fan of vinyl, prefer the sound, and have a nice little collection, however I am on the road a lot and right now cd's are still a little easier to move and shake. "Things" will eventually be presented in a vinyl format, and when that happens you will be the first to know. In fact, I will keep all contributors well informed with updates and videos, every step of the way, throughout the remainder of the album's Kickstarter.
Info & History
The album is a mix of vocal and instrumental compositions. 10 tracks in all, leaning heavily towards vocals. I wanted it to feel like a mix tape you might make for yourself, or the ipod on shuffle while you were driving over a long distance; it's diverse, but cohesive. The recording took place during windows of free time over the past few years, using three separate RVA studios: Minimum Wage, Millwright Sound, and Montrose Studios. I was fortunate enough to be able to work with good friends and wayward songs that, at the time, had no home...the songs, not the friends. Here's a video for "What We Had", a track off of "Things". It's primarily an instrumental, with some "la la la's" at the end....
Mixing & the Flickinger
The album was mixed to two inch tape, at Montrose Studios, on a Flickinger console by Adrian Olsen and myself. A Flickinger console is a very rare mixing desk; only 20 made and only 5 working in the world today. It was used by the likes of Curtis Mayfield, Sly & The Family Stone, Johnny Cash, Parlament/ Funkadelic, Ike Turner, Motown Records, & Muscle Shoals Sound Studio, just to name a few. It has a very specific and unique sound, and really adds to the atmosphere of the recording. Click on the link underneath the image, for a little more info.
In order to finish the album and release it, I'm going to need some outside assistance. There are a just few things left to take care of, and they are some of the most important, and unfortunately most expensive, aspects of a finished recording; *mastering, manufacturing, artwork, and promotion. It is my hope to use the highest caliber and quality for all four. With your contribution, we can make that happen.
(*What is mastering, you say?) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_mastering
This Kickstarter is budgeted according to the rates that I have been given, by people that I am extremely interested in working with, some of whom are personal heroes of mine. All exceptional in their field; it is an honor just to have them consider this project.
Personnel & Recording
The personnel on "Things", who were kind enough to donate their time when they had it, are close friends who I've had the privilege of sharing many great moments with both on and off the stage. They also happen to be some of the finest musicians and people, that I have ever met. They include:
- Daniel Clarke- Keys, Drums, Bass, Vocals. (Ryan Adams, KD Lang, Modern Groove Syndicate)
- Trey Pollard- Guitar. (Mathew E. White, Modern Groove Syndicate)
- Brian Jones- Drums. (Solo, Agents of Good Roots, Various)
- Charles Arthur- Lap Steel, Guitar, Mandolin, Vocals. (Solo, Various)
- Reggie Pace- Trombone, Percussion. (Bon Iver, No BS Brass Band)
- JC Kuhl- Sax. (John D'Earth, Modern Groove Syndicate)
- Marcus Tenney- Vocals, Sax, Trumpet. (No BS Brass Band)
- Mark Ingraham- Trumpet. (Bio Ritmo, DJ Williams Projekt, Beast Wellington)
- Bryan Hooten- Trombone. (No BS Brass Band)
- Jonathan Meadows- Vocals. (The Congress)
- Lydia Ooghe- Vocals. (Solo Artist)
- Frank Jackson- Guitar. (Modern Groove Syndicate, The Big Payback: A Tribute to James Brown)
- Brian Mahne- Organ, Piano. (The Rootdowns)
- Dusty Simmons- Drums. (DJ Williams Projekt, The Rootdowns, The Big Payback: A Tribute to James Brown)
- Scott Milstead- Percussion. (Carbon Leaf)
- Katrice Johnson- Vocals. (Solo, Various)
- Glorietta Jones- Vocals. (Fifth Street Church)
- Careatha Lewis- Vocals. (Fifth Street Church)
- Palmer Wilkins- Engineer. Millwright Sound.
- Lance Koehler- Engineer. Minimum Wage Studios
- Adrian Olsen- Mixing. Montrose Studios
Man...I really hope I didn't leave anyone out.
This should give you a feel for what the recording sessions were like. It's a clip of Katrice, Glorietta, and Careatha working on background arrangements for a song called, "Reason". Jonathan Meadows sings lead on the record. The video will also take you to a playlist that has even more clips of the making of "Things". Hit the "pause" button when you're through...
I played bass, electric guitar, acoustic guitar, percussion and sang on the album. I also produced it, mixed it with Adrian, and completely obsessed over it night and day (and will continue to do so...but what fun).
Here's one of me laying down a late-night guitar solo on a track called, "Cool on the Side", at Millwright Sound. You can hear some of the finished song playing throughout the promo video, at the top of the page.
So, there you have it! Take a look at the tiers on the side, and see if something interests you. A contribution at any level, makes you just as much a part of this as me. Without you, it would just be files on somebody's computer.
I believe whole-heartedly in this project, and I am very proud of the work my friends and I have done here. It would be an absolute dream to commercially release "Things". I look forward to working with you. Thank you so much!
Risks and challenges
There are a few potential obstacles. Production delays, shipping mishaps, gremlins, you lose your way at the Mekong listening party, certain things beyond my control, but I've taken everything into consideration when adding the dates to each reward. There may be some unforeseen issues with shipping the paintings outside of the U.S., for example. Should this happen (I'm thinking specifically of Asia when I mention this. I'm in a band that is actually "big in Japan". I swear I'm not joking), I promise any and all issues will be addressed immediately. Other than that, I am confident everything will arrive on time and in the condition you had hoped. Thanks again!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)