We are so floored by the support we've received so far!! But we still need ALL the help we can get. Every single dollar we get before our 6PM deadline on May 7th is a dollar that will end up on the screen! Every single dollar betters the film's quality and helps it to reach its full potential! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
On a college campus in the early 2000s, a group of fed-up girls form a secret society with the goal of breaking as many boys’ hearts as possible.
The setting is a college campus, the time: the lip-glossy early 2000s. Four badass girls form a secret group called the Ice Queen Society. Their goal? To weaken the patriarchy by breaking as many boys’ hearts as possible. Lead by JANINE, a femme fatale who does not let herself get hurt, the Ice Queen Society makes plans for each girl to target, seduce, and destroy a sexist boy on campus. When the boys catch on, drama ensues. Who will win in this feisty battle of the sexes?
A 30-minute comedy, The Ice Queen Society imagines a world in which women have their way with men instead of the other way around. The film takes the stereotype of girl as “tease” and runs a marathon with it. What if she wasn’t just leading you on, but was part of an underground network of seductresses whose mission was to do just that? Think of this film as having the effect of Wonder Woman on girls, and of Get Out on boys.
We love our Feminist Agenda™ and we hope you will too. We want to make this film for a few reasons:
- To make a commentary on gender roles that’s both entertaining and informative, accessible and challenging.
- To showcase the work of talented Stanford students in a medium that we can send out into the world (through submission to festivals, etc).
- To add our voices to the up-and-coming generation of female filmmakers and another story to the growing canon of women-focused films.
In order to make this project happen, we need your support. Indie film is having a moment -- more so than ever before, it is easy to submit low-budget films to festivals and have them reach a wide audience and make a significant impact. But in order for The Ice Queen Society to realize this potential, we must be able to match the quality of independent films being made currently. We are proposing a total production budget of $3,500 in order to ensure that we have the resources to toss our hat in the ring.
- Equipment: camera add-ons, lights, sound
- Costuming: costumes for 8 characters, hair and makeup
- Set Design: props, space rental
- Production: gas money, snacks/beverages for the cast/crew
- Post-Production: software, festival submission fees
So why did we request only $2,750 on Kickstarter? The way this platform works is all or nothing (gulp), so we started with the lowest possible budget we’d need to make the film at all. That being said, if you see that we’ve reached our budget of $2,750, please keep giving! This project will run most smoothly if we reach the actual goal of $3,500.
Meet the Makers
None of this would be possible without our incredible cast and wonderful production crew. Everyone involved in The Ice Queen Society is currently an undergrad at Stanford University. Passionate about film and storytelling, they’re eager to show their work to a broader audience.
THE ICE QUEENS
- JANINE … The Fearless Leader (played by Ali Rosenthal)
- STEPHANIE … The Right Hand Woman (played by Danielle Stagger)
- MANDY … Sweet and Smart (played by Dani Lyle)
- BIANCA … Fierce and Seductive (played by Evie Johnson)
- T.C. … The Fearless Leader (played by Sam Roach)
- LEONARDO … The Nerd (played by Anton de Leon)
- EMMETT … The Tortured Artist (played by Gabe Wieder)
- SCOTTY … The Sleazy One (played by Trace Guzmán)
OUR CREATIVE TEAM
- Writer/Director: Ali Rosenthal
- Assistant Director: Lora Supandi
- Producer: Hayley Hodson
- Director of Photography: Lora Supandi
- Assistant Director of Photography: Truman Hanks
- Production Design: Katie Langelier
- Costume Design: Tess Stewart
- Hair + Makeup: Tess Stewart, Katie Langelier
- Editor: Obed de la Cruz
- Original Score by Ben Werdegar
And of course, we can’t do any of this without you, our lovely backers. Thank you so much for considering our project, and check out our rewards tiers for how we can give back to you!
Risks and challenges
We're planning on shooting The Ice Queen Society on weekends only, beginning April 28th and ending May 27th. Our biggest challenge is scheduling, but we have a timeline in place to ensure that our actors and production team are available and as efficient as possible. After May 20th, we will begin the Post-Production phase and work towards completing the film by September 2018, at which point we will begin the process of submitting it to festivals! If any setbacks arise, we will personally notify our supporters and communicate how we are dealing with the setback. We have spent countless hours in pre-production to create a plan that ensures filming runs smoothly and on schedule!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)