The Music Industry Is In Your Hands
Hi friends. Time to get real with y'all for a minute and tell you that the whole music business is in your hands. That's right! Labels are dying. Record stores are dead -- streaming is in. But wait, there's more! : ]
Streaming services like Spotify pay between nothing to half a penny per stream.
Why? Music royalties rates were written in the 1950's before streaming music was invented. So it's a new frontier, and currently songwriters like myself face a challenging road ahead. That's why a direct connection to an audience is the one saving grace for an independent musician like me.
Even a million streams a year equals around $13 per day.
What is Kickstarter and Why It Still Matters
Old music business:
Artists would spend a bunch of money (or borrow from a label), make a record, and hope to sell enough to make the money back and stay afloat till the next project. My first studio record, Congress Hotel cost upwards of $50,000 to make, distribute, and promote.
New music business:
The artist launches a pre-sale for the record before it is made. If there isn't enough demand for the project (i.e. the artist doesn't reach their funding goal), all the people who backed the project get their money back and the record doesn't get made.
If the campaign is successful though, the artist can make the record without having to worry about the initial costs or if they'll sell enough to make it back.
This is HUGE for 3 reasons.
1. Y'all are the new record label. Which is good because I'm making music for you, not for the music industry.
2. Kickstarter offers something the traditional music business doesn't. EXPERIENCE AND COMMUNITY. I've done 2 Kickstarters in the past, and saw how much more FUN it is to launch a record this way. Having you along for the process of making it, sharing the updates, getting your feedback on the song choices, artwork, etc., is a way better experience than it would be just making it on my own and putting it on iTunes / Spotify.
3. Lastly, I know not everyone wants to pay as little as possible for music. I know that there are many out there that truly believe in artists, that care about and want to see independent artists continue making art. If you're reading this, you're likely one of these people already (thank you!). So this is where Kickstarter makes such a difference.
Pre-purchasing a record or any of the extra rewards through a campaign like this provides the absolute biggest bang for the buck in terms of what the artist gets to keep. So your contribution here has a bigger impact than nearly any other way of buying or streaming music.
You're not just getting something you enjoy, you're protecting the survival of those who make it! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!
Costs of Making A Record
The expense of making a record includes
Session Musician Fees
T-shirt Design / Production
Vinyl Mastering / Production
The upfront costs alone are close to $10,000 -- and that's with doing some of it myself and pulling favors from friends.
Ok enough of the doom and gloom. Let's talk about the music, the new record!
This is the first project of original songs I've done in 5 years and I'm SO EXCITED to share it with you. By some miracle I've been given an opportunity to record in a historic studio, home to some of the most famous and recognizable songs in the history of popular music. But all of this is on the down low, done late at night, in secret. I'm dying to tell you more, but I can't yet. I can't even tell you why I can't tell you. But I'm hopeful that some day I'll have the green light to share with y'all the full story.
But regardless of where I'm recording, I've finally gotten the chance to record some music the old-school way. Live, with everyone playing together in the same room. One full take at a time, no mistakes. The only thing left to re-record (or overdub as we would say) will be my vocals. (Something that wasn't uncommon back in the day either).
Here's a little sneak peak, with the original scratch vocals.
If the following stretch goals are met, backers get the following bonuses!
WE DID IT! WE GET TO MAKE A RECORD. Also every backer at the $25 level and above gets an "Ernie Halter ❤️s Me" Sticker"
Online listening party / chat with all backers! Pre-pre-release!
VIP INVITE-ONLY NASHVILLE CD RELEASE PARTY for all backers at the $25 level and above. If you were at the 90s R&B Kickstarter party, you already know how much fun this will be! Dates TBD but most likely Spring / Summer 2019.
All backers at $15 level and above will get the ORIGINAL HOME STUDIO DEMOS to the songs that made the record.
All backers at $15 level and above will get a special AUDIO INTERVIEW explaining the story behind the recording, and the songs on it.
WILL WRITE A SONG WITH ALL THE BACKERS VIA AN HOUR LONG WEBCAST. Can't promise it will be the next Bohemian Rhapsody but let's see what we can do!
WILL LIKELY HYPERVENTILATE AND DIE OF JOY THE END.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
1) Find a fun reward and pledge to the campaign today! Momentum is everything and I would love to kick this off with a BANG. If the fine folks at Kickstarter take notice they just may add it to the list of featured projects!
2) Tell people, spread the word, on social media, email, text messaging, carrier pigeons, smoke signals, telepathy, whatever you've got. Promotion is key!
Thank you for sticking with me (some of you for over a decade now)! Thank you for lifting me up, encouraging me, and being the best fans and friends an artist like me could ask for. Let's do this! I'm totally not freaking out inside at all! 😬🤘🏻🤘🏼🤘🏽🤘🏾🤘🏿
Risks and challenges
The record is half done! So you won't have to wait as long to get it! And I've made records before, lots of them. So you're in capable hands. : ]
The only unknown is the pressing time for vinyl. I've heard vinyl can take several months from start to finish. Hopefully not that long but I've never actually done it before! Again, I will keep everyone up to date and informed in the most open and honest way possible.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)