Disciples Of The Storm (DOTS) is a unique, fast paced Real Time Strategy (RTS) game set in the fantasy world of Sonus where an ancient feud between the deities, known as Tempests, have torn the world apart leaving little more than raging storms below and skies filled with floating remnant of islands where the people of Sonus now live. The four factions of rain, wind, sun and thunder must battle to survive in this harsh climate gathering resources and gain favor from the Tempests.
“Honor belongs to the dead, for the Tempests’ chosen is the last High Priest standing.” - High Priest Immitis.
Build your temples and workshops to unlock units to wage war on your enemies and capture and offer up enemy high priests to gain favor with the deities.
With a unique bridging mechanic system that allows players to deploy networks of bridges to link islands along with a multitude of unique faction unit types combining elements of Tower Defense meets active Tower Offense.
- Tempest of Wind: Units fast swift & versatile
- Thunder Tempest: Strong hardy and ranged attacks
- Rain Tempest: Diverse and special ability
- Sun: Cheap versatile and deadly in number
The world of Sonus is one of shattered landscapes and floating sky islands.
Larger sky islands are home to the priests and tribes. These islands often have short undulating grass or palm like trees swaying in the wind.
Smaller sky islands, which form most of the world, often have little to no trees or vegetation but do have hardy vines that hang from their rocky edges.
Long forgotten islands are often home to ruins believed to be left over from the time of the Great Sundering. On these remote and rare islands players may find vaults of treasures for those that can capture and hold them.
Last year’s Kickstarter initially had little coverage but over the past year we pushed out content updates regularly to our Facebook group and our Steam Greenlight page. With these updates the word spread and we started to see an upswing in votes the past months which pushed us to the top 100% granting DOTS the Greenlight badge of approval. Once the game is ready we will be able to release it on the steam platform.
Getting Greenlit was a major boost for the project team and showed there was interest and support for Disciples of the Storm.
Over the past year Storm Isle Productions has been focused on creating and drafting new concepts as well as getting models done for the rain factions in both concept and finished unit models that have been brought into our current build of DOTS.
Our team at Storm Isle Productions is backed by original NetStorm co-creator and founder of Kongregate, Jim Greer. Kongregate is a browser based game hosting site. Along with Jim's backing we also have working with us
Beverly Garland who in the past has worked on Wingcommander, Ultima, Crusader no remorse, Ultima VIII: Pagan, NetStorm: Islands at war
Morgan Ogburn who worked on Ultima IX, Tron Evolution, and Resident Evil 5, NetStorm: Islands at war
Our art production team is further backed by a highly talented and motivated art team at
Polywick Studios that have been working with us on production of the new artwork and unit models. http://polywickstudio.com/pages/AboutUs/
This collective of gaming industry leaders and bold development team envision Disciples of the Storm as not only a rebirth of the classic game-play style of NetStorm but as a strategy game that will continue to expand over time in both physical and dynamic complexity as the team will seek to actively expand and continue development well beyond release with add-ons. A wide range of new building units, weaponry, bridge styles and spells, along with flexibility in play from individual to group, to full-scale guild tournament warfare, promises to make Disciples of the Storm unlike any game currently on the market.
Be part of gaming history by helping launch the re-conceptualized and spiritual successor of the greatest video game.
Released in 1997, NetStorm: Islands at War was a bridge-building, island-capturing, static-unit warfare RTS. NetStorm broke new ground with its unique combination of Tetris-style puzzle and chess-like game features. PC Gamer gave it a score of 91. C-Net called it “The #1 game of all time that no one ever bought.”
Launch time and promotion issues relegated NetStorm to the fringe of the evolving online gaming frontier where a strong community of enthusiasts has kept it alive for more than 15 years!
Now a talented team of game developers and former NetStorm enthusiasts, working in partnership with the original developers are seeking to create Disciples of the Storm, a 3D, full-scale RTS reboot and rebirth of the originals game-play style to life.
- New IP, New World: As a top-to-bottom concept reboot, Disciples of the Storm uses a new IP for long-term stability and to avoid confusion with the the old game NetStorm. Disciples of the Storm takes place in an entirely new world with redesigned units, spells and effects.
- The factions of the Tempest: DOTS features 4 factions with the factions of Wind, Rain, Thunder and Sun. With each side having close to 12 unit types each, along with faction neutral buildings that can be constructed.
- Fast Paced Game Play: Fast pace game play focus on capturing and holding islands and control of paths through islands are vital to victory.
- Bridging system: DOTS features a custom bridging and placement system which allows placement of different bridge types allowing for construction of bridge networks to support both resource collection and expanding the battle front.
- Tower Offense: DOTS use of different static defense and attack units with the ability to be built linked off side of bridge end s allow for construction of both on islands and out over the void of the sky. DOTS attack and defense units although static and do not move each have their own ability and power which gives a tower defense meets tower offense mode.
- Random Map Generation: DOTS feature on the fly map generation for both island generation in island shapes and with placement of islands and resources allowing for each multiplayer game to be unique.
- Multi-platform support: DOTS supports running on Windows, Linux and Mac.
Planned features beyond first multiplayer release.
- Single Player Skirmish AI – Play against user selected number of AI in a single player skirmish AI with adjustable difficulty.
- Single Player Campaign: single player campaign and mission with save and load ability.
Our Kickstarter campaign begins with a conservative, main game goal of $50,000 to establish a solid, playable foundation for the entire project. Our Kickstarter benchmark of $50,000 will create a functioning online multi-player Disciples of the Storm RTS game with wide tech tree, nearly a dozen spells and faction units, and will include GUI and tutorials.
We are asking for 50k for finalizing development of an initially fully playable release of Disciples Of The Storm RTS. Storm Isle Productions also has additional confirmed backing lined up of 50k from a game industry insider who will match our funds raised on kickstarter once successful that will at that point raise our development funding to $100,000 which will ensure that production can continue beyond first release with features and content.
Our build vision aims to first establish a technically solid DOTS limited Multi-player experience. Subsequent stretch goals, in phases, will allow the full-scale vision of what we believe Disciples of the Storm can be — a totally engrossing, communal, tactics-and-strategy warfare game.
Full-scale creation on this level represents a significant amount of work and time, including new art, new models, animations, and spells. We have an extremely talented team who, with the main goal funding, can dive into producing polished content.
Your support will help us bring Disciples of the Storm from the realm of concept to reality and playability.
Risks and challenges
Although our first attempt last year for raising funds through Kickstarter did not succeed we did not let this stop us or slow us down! We felt that it was important that we produce more content under our new concept designs to better showcase and highlight the direction the game was going in art before we attempted any further crowdfunding.
Storm Isle Productions buckled down over the past year and focused on using what limited funding we had on hand, from our own pockets, to produce new content under our own IP.
In focusing on the creating new unit designs this IP the team created two new priest models to show what a few of the priests will look like in-game along with the wind temple for the wind faction. We also overhauled some the element of the game such as world lighting until we could port to the Unity5 gaming engine, then focused heavily on producing a number of units for the rain faction to highlight how the new faction will look.
Currently the main thing that is holding development back is the funding to continue production at a steady pace and to bring on the coders and art team full time,. We have been working with our art team and spending our own income for production of unit models and art assets but with full funding we will be able to focus on dedicating our full time to polishing the art and the coding needed to release a stable, playable build to the public.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)