KangaSound: music and sound-effect synthesis, track mixing
Major upgrade to Kangas Sound Editor, making it easier to create music compositions, and the supporting fun kangaroo-themed website.
This project is similar to, and based on, an earlier Kickstarter project that did not achieve its funding target. There have been some changes made in this Kickstarter project in order to (hopefully!) make it a more attractive proposition to backers.
The earlier project which this project is largely based on can be found at:
Some sample KangaSound music
See the Updates section of this Kickstarter project for some recent work constructed using the existing version of Kangas Sound Editor. If this project is backed, much more impressive efforts will be possible.
So what has changed?
The main project funding target has been increased from £18k to £21k in order to fund the work of a talented web/graphic designer (http://www.tangentdesignco.com/) on redesigning the KangaSound website:
New stretch goals relating to Kangas Sound Editor software have been added.
There have been some changes to the rewards of the original project, so the rewards listed here are the ones that apply.
What are the planned website redesign changes?
The goal of the redesign is to create a kangaroo-themed website that is modern, sophisticated and fun. There will be improvements in layout, colour use, and graphics.
A distinguishing feature of the existing KangaSound website is the homepage animation, triggered by the "Start roos" button. The homepage animation changes each day as the roos hop from planet to planet (and land on a few moons) in the Solar System, with how high they jump/hop/bounce and accelerate/decelerate affected by the gravity of the celestial body they are on. You can freeze a roo by "catching" it with the mouse, and then click on the links inside the roo, which represents a topic such as "History roo". This will be kept in the redesigned website, but animated images of real kangaroos (see http://istockpho.to/1DSpfsA for a possible model) will replace the static silhouetted images of a toy kangaroo. Also, the current black background of the roos will be changed to reflect the terrain of the planet, moon or other celestial body they are on that particular day (some surprises/revelations are planned for the various terrains - the £8 and £9 pledge rewards allow you to vote for and suggest "surprises" respectively).
What are the new stretch goals?
The new stretch goals are:
- Funding target + £1k: A tempo adjustment facility will be added to Kangas Sound Editor (KSE). This will be at the composition level.
- Funding target + £4k: A facility to import from MusicXML files (http://www.musicxml.com/) will be added to KSE. This means that conventional music notation can be used in a music notation editor, a MusicXML file exported from it, and imported into KSE where it would be converted using a user-editable mapping table into the frequency ratio system (i.e. Just Intonation - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Just_intonation) that KSE uses. I am planning on using the table at http://www.phy.mtu.edu/~suits/scales.html for the default frequency ratios of the mapping table.
- Funding target + £7k: A search and replace facility will be added to KSE. This would save KSE users a lot of time, especially when constructing substantial music compositions.
- Funding target + £10k: User interface components which sometimes take up too much space will be made individually collapsible/expandable. This applies to sequence boxes, chord groups, repetition groups and sound boxes; and will most likely be done using a small '+' or '-' symbol which is displayed inside the component, and which can be clicked on to expand or collapse it.
- Funding target + £13k: A facility to export to MusicXML files will be added to KSE. Not as immediately useful as the import facility, could be useful in certain situations nonetheless.
If you are interested enough to back this Kickstarter project, then thank you very much - I hope you get something back both from the reward that you have selected, and seeing exactly what a more advanced version of Kangas Sound Editor and a more sophisticated, modern and fun KangaSound website are like. Even if you don't look at Kangas Sound Editor yourself, you may enjoy listening to music tracks or sound effects that have been created by others using the more advanced version of the software and the supporting KangaSound website - both made possible by your backing of this project.
What you may be thinking now, and why I'd like you to think differently!
If you have got this far, I am assuming you are not totally disinterested in this project. Here are a couple of things you may be thinking:
- There are some things in this project that interest me, but I can't see how he can make that big funding target, so I won't pledge.
- The project is quite interesting, but I'll come back towards the end of the project to see whether others are backing it. If they are, then I'll jump on the bandwagon!
The reason I need you to think a little differently is that too many people thinking exactly the same way as you means that the project is doomed to failure. If you are at all interested in this project and what would be delivered, I need you to think more along these lines:
If I back it now and the project doesn't meet it's funding target, well at least I won't have to pay anything as only fully-funded Kickstarter projects can proceed. If I do back it now, this may encourage others to back the project, which could in turn lead to others to back the project and so on. In effect, I will have started a chain reaction that could lead to this interesting project getting funded, despite its ambitious funding target.
Risks and challenges
In addition to the risks and challenges of the original project, there are some challenges relating to the web redesign of www.kangasound.com, and also the new stretch goals. Both of these are not without challenges; for example, the homepage animation using images of real kangaroos on the redesigned website needs a high level of skill to look good; the stretch goals too need careful development work to do what they should and fit in well with the rest of the software.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)