While this next batch of gameplay development is cooking up, I decided to switch gears and get some important content out there that needs early attention. First is an area that hasn't been touched yet:
I'm pretty keen on the idea of stylish/large designs- it's a nice compliment to the game's emphasis on customization, and will also help distinguish hunters from each other. With enough item variation and the ability to paint your own color scheme, this system should be pretty fun. The first batch of ideas:
Around his already busy schedule, Dustin has been able to knock out some awesome progress on the styracosaurus. It's going to take more than a fish to tame this guy:
Rodrigo's latest recruit:
One of the biggest challenges of this project is going to be the construction of the new island. Design, optimization, and gameplay all have to be kept in mind every step of the way, and will probably take until the end before it sees completion. Considering how much discussion about the island has been taking place in the forums, I figured the best thing to do is to get progress out there as early as possible, where feedback will ensure the best decisions are made as often as they can.
To start, I began by photoshopping a bunch of satellite images together to create my own island layout. The layout logic works something like this:
- The center of the island has an abundance of rich grass/vegetation and consequently where herbivores will gather. This dense gathering of meat will draw players and carnivores towards the center of the island regularly.
- A river makes a large cut through the island for quick water navigation, so that you're not always running on foot if you don't want.
- Opposite the rivers/forests is the island's impact crater, which killed off most vegetation at it's location, so food is scarce. The crater itself houses a dinosaur graveyard where rare, high-value species reside.
- Off the main island is a second, hard-to-reach island which contains certain rare materials. This island is small enough to be gaurded by a single tribe.
- Overall, player hotspots will be: the center fields, the lakes, carnivore nests, the graveyard, and Todds Island.
So those are the broad strokes. Check it out and let me know what ya think: