You've seen it in countless science fiction movies. We're bringing that fiction to reality.
The SmartMirror allows you to elegantly display useful information that you are able to customize to suit your needs.
Useful information at a glance
Get the latest information regarding today's weather, your commute, your appointments, etc. Customize-able widgets allows you to be in control of what information is displayed.
Current modules in development
- Upcoming appointments
- News feed
- Twitter mentions/favs feed
- Sports scores
- Cat facts!
- IFTTT recipes
All modules will be open-source so the community can modify them as well as create and share their own.
Your living room or foyer
Build you own widgets to pull in data from other smart devices in your home. Display information about your solar panels, security, heating system, etc. Get details about your commute before you leave in the morning
Display the SmartMirror in your office as a futuristic feature to display interesting business metrics.
Brushing your teeth or styling your hair are chores that may become a little more interesting and fun with a new mirror that, besides reflecting, can also display emails, news threads, tweets, public transport times and all kinds of online data.
How will the money raised be used?
The design is finished and we’re ready to move on to the next stage to mass produce the SmartMirror. The frames will be cut and milled by a professional carpenter, which we will then assemble along with the electronics.
We need a large enough initial order to take advantage of the economies of scale. This initial order needs to be in the hundereds in order to bring the per unit price down enough to make this product affordable.
A software portal needs to be built so that people can easily update the position of the modules on the mirror.
- Observation mirror glass
- Edge-to-edge 21.5" LCD (1920x1080 resolution)
- Solid frame built out of Canadian maple
- Dimensions 20½" x 12½" x 2½" (52cm x 32cm x 6cm)
- Raspberry Pi B+ computer with Wireless (B/G/N) and Wired Ethernet
- Gesture sensor
In your hands by Christmas
Our timeline is very aggressive and we will have your SmartMirror ready for the Christmas season. We have refined the build process so we can make many SmartMirrors in a short amount of time once we have received the required materials.
Always on, yet power efficient
The LCD is set to turn off after 10 minutes. Simply wave your hand in front of the sensor to have the screen turn back on. This timeout is customizable based on your needs and can also be disabled if required.
No camera needed for operation.
The SmartMirror uses a simple gesture recognition component to facilitate interaction with what is being displayed. There is no need to be worried about a hidden camera behind the glass. We're keeping the cost down by going with more low-tech to make an awesome product.
A camera version may come down the line but our first offering is simple. A few people have asked about a mirror that automatically posts "bathroom selfies" to Instagram. We've heard you and it is something we are willing to investigate for future products.
Hack it, it's open!
The SmartMirror is driven by a Raspberry Pi mini-computer running Linux. That means you can change the code running on the mirror. Instead of using the gesture sensor you could use wearable technology like the Myo armband from Thalmic Labs to interact with the mirror. Or replace the standard interface with something out of Snow White and add voice recognition and a speaker!
Bonus power-free feature.
In the case of a power outage at your home, office, or business, the SmartMirror will still behave as a regular mirror. ;)
- May 2015 - Kickstarter starts
- June 2015 - Kickstarter ends
- July - November 2015 - Fine-tuning of design, order components, finalize software, build units
- December 2015 - Delivery
- 150K - Paint/stain options. We’ll select a range of different paint and stain options so your mirror arrives ready to match its surroundings.
- 200K - Solid Canadian maple isn’t your thing? We’ll add an option for oak, ash, walnut, and cherry as well.
- 250K - You don’t like the rustic and earthy feel of wood? Looking for modern chic instead? We’ll add an option for a frame that is milled out of aluminum flatbar.
- 300K - Selfie edition - We'll offer an option to include a camera into the upper frame so you can take time-delayed mirror selfies without your phone/phablet/tablet! I mean, if you're into that sort of thing. We can automatically post to your Facebook/Instagram once you use a special gesture to take a photo.
Risks and challenges
Hardware: The only challenge will be to get the required materials for assembling the mirror. The parts involved in the construction are common so this should not be a major hurdle.
Software: The software stack is under active development and will be open-source so anyone will be able to change or add new features as they see fit.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)