M TCG (Canceled)
M TCG (Canceled)
A Dice Rolling TCG Combat Game With 5 Classes to Choose From.
A Dice Rolling TCG Combat Game With 5 Classes to Choose From. Read more
You're required to go to battle...
The world is falling apart, you're not quite sure why but feuding settlements have started waging war against one another. It's become a dog eat dog world as every sentient being fights for survival.
You are one of those beings.
Amongst your troops are the mighty Barbarians, wise Clerics, brave Paladins, elusive Rogues and powerful Wizards... Who will you face battle with?
M is a TCG that wants to break the habits that common TCGs seem to adapt. It is a game that wants to allow players to freely create a deck to accommodate their play style without being hindered by "cookie-cutter" builds, staple cards or trumps.When designing this game I felt that to enable any player to have a level footing with an opponent, regardless of deck structure, there would have to be an element of luck, naturally.
So I threw some "luck" into the game.
A key feature of this TCG is that while other TCGs may require a player to roll a die at some point, it is a key component in this game. The game utilises six, ten and twelve sided dies (D6, D10 and D12 respectively) to calculate its essential values such as damage as healing.
"But doesn't that then mean that deck building to accommodate strategies is useless?"
Not at all! While a key feature of this game may be dice rolling, the rest of your arsenal will be tailored to augment these values. Allow me to show you an example...
Here we have the Rogue ability card, "Disarm".
"Both you and your opponent roll a D10. If you result is higher than your opponent’s, target Hero cannot use an attack this turn."
So here we have a card that allows the controller to stop their opponent from attacking. Your first impression may be that this is just going to be a case of luck...
But hold on a second, here we have the Rogue ability card, "Change of Fate."
"If you and your opponent rolled a die this turn, you may swap face values with your opponent."
So that's how we are expecting this game to play. Luck is a factor but strategic thinking will come in to play to ensure that your rolls are what you're after or to be able to utilise any value to your advantage. Think of it as Dungeons and Dragons, where your hero can actually make their own mind up...
Finally, here's a mock-up of a Cleric Hero card!
...and a lovely Wizard Ability card!
Each player has 3 heroes.
Any combination of classes can be used.
No duplicate heroes can be included.
Each player has a deck of (minimum 40) cards. Only 4 copies of each card can exist.
A deck is comprised of Ability, Curse and Blessing cards.
Only abilities that are useable by a hero in the player’s party can be included.
Dice are used in this game to determine values. This game uses 6, 10 and 12 sided dice (D6, D10 & D12).
Each player’s heroes are all set face up on the field.
On the first turn each player draws 6 cards.
Players determine who takes their turn first.
Turns and Priority
Each turn is split into phases.
- -Draw phase – player draws a card from their deck. If they are unable to, they lose the game.
- Once the player draws a card, if they do not wish to use any card effects or no automatic effects occur, priority is passed to the opponent before moving to the next phase.
- During this time, if a player has any face down heroes, (that are not dead), they choose one to flip over. This hero is now in-play.
- -Standby phase – during this phase, the player may play cards from their hand, activate hero effects or in play abilities.
- The opposing player only has priority once an action has been carried out i.e. Action > Response > Resolution
- -Combat Phase – during this phase, the player may propose combat using one or more of his heroes. Only one hero can be a proposed attacker at a time (unless stated otherwise).
- Hero proposed as attacker > Response > Attack carried out > Response > Damage calculation > Response
- A player may return to their standby phase at any time during the combat phase as long as there is no attacker currently being proposed. Combat and Standby phases may be entered as many times as desired during a turn.
- Once a hero has attacked (Using their printed Spell or Attack) they cannot attack again this turn, with the exception of rogues who can attack as long as they have stamina remaining.
- There is no limit to the amount of Abilities, Curses or Blessings that can be played in a turn as long as the player can afford to use them or unless stated otherwise by the effect of a card.
- -End Phase – Any other card effects that would take place at the end phase take place now. Priority is passed and the turn ends.
- If a player has a dead hero under their control, they may reveal a number of ability cards in their hand to their opponent equal to the number of dead heroes they control, place them on the bottom of their deck and draw that many cards. Only abilities that correspond to a class of Hero that is dead may be chosen this way.
Card Types - Heroes
Heroes are used to attack and can attack once per turn.
Heroes have several classes: Barbarian, Wizard, Paladin, Cleric and Rogue.
At the start of the game, all heroes will be face down on the field. As each player takes their turn, they choose a hero to flip face up during each of their standby phases until all of their heroes are face up. These heroes are then classes as in play. Face down heroes cannot be damaged, attacked or targeted by any card effects.
There are currently 5 different classes in the M TCG. Each class offers different play styles and supporting roles and use unique resources.
“…Focuses on large, single damage packets while providing defence for the rest of your party members by having a massive health pool. Barbarians often trade off health for damage and vice versa, so, where there is larger damage, there is less protection.”
- Resource: Rage
- -Starts at 0
- -Consumed to empower attacks
- -Maximum of 50
- -1 point of rage is generated per point of damage received
- HP: Med - High
- Damage: Med - High
- Healing: N/A
“Clerics are seen as the divine healers. They provide heavy healing, protection and utility and can use runes as additional costs to empower abilities.”
- Resource: Mana / Runes
- -Dual resource
- -Starts at 50 mana / 3 runes
- -Maximum 50 mana / 3 runes
- -Both consumed and generated in various ways
- -1 rune is regenerated at the beginning of the controller’s turn
- HP: Low – Med
- Damage: Low
- Healing: High
“Paladins can act as a bastion of defence whilst providing your party with protective healing and augmenting buffs and abilities.”
- Resource: Holy Power
- -Starts at 0
- -Maximum of 5
- -Generated by attacks / abilities
- -Consumed to empower abilities
- HP: Med – High
- Damage: Med
- Healing: Med
"Dirty tricks and underhanded tactics are a rogue's game. With multiple attacks per turn and wild damage modifiers, rogues are efficient at quickly dispatching and opponent. Be warned, however, as they are also quite fragile..."
- Resource: Stamina
- -Starts at 10
- -Maximum of 10
- -Can attack as long as energy costs can be afforded
- -Energy regenerates fully at the beginning of the controller’s turn
- HP: Low
- Damage: High
- Healing: N/A
“Wizards focus on using abilities to their best advantage while providing some of the biggest damage from your party.”
- Resource: Mana
- -Starts at 50
- -Consumed to attack / empower spells and abilities
- -Restored in various ways
- HP: Low – Med
- Damage: Med – High
- Healing: N/A
Combat - Attacks and Spells
Dice are used to determine Spell and Attack values. This game uses D6, D10 and D12.
Attacks are split into two types: Attacks and Spells.
Each hero can have Attacks and Spells. They are denoted by their tag word.
When a hero uses an Attack or Spell, they become an Attacker.A target that is the subject of an Attack or Spell is the Defender.
Some heroes may have a Martyr banner on the bottom of the card, beneath their main text box. This is an effect that is triggered immediately when that hero is dealt fatal damage.
Card Types - Abilities
Abilities are class specific cards that can only be used if a character of the specified class is in your party and is still alive.
Abilities can have different key words.
- Instant – This means the ability can be played during either player’s turn when there is an open window in the current chain.
- Continuous – After activation, this ability stays in play until it is destroyed either by itself or another card.
Card Types - Blessings and Curses
Blessings are similar to abilities but have no class restrictions. They are intended to allow universal beneficial effects, regardless of the types of Heroes in a deck. They can have the key words Instant and Continuous.
Curses are similar to abilities but have no class restrictions. They are intended to allow universal detrimental effects directed towards your opponent and offer offensive utilities. They can have the key words Instant and Continuous.
Once a Blessing or Curse has been resolved, it is placed in the graveyard, unless stated otherwise.
The main objective is to create a brand new TCG that has an interesting dynamic.
The first set has already been partly drafted and the ideas keep flowing. I am looking to have the first set contain 100 different cards which will be released as a complete set during launch.
Once M has an established following, future sets will be announced and released. Class decks will be in the pipelines and who knows, maybe we'll see some new classes....?
JUNE - JULY2013
By this time we hope to have the full set printed to be tested. Not only will those working on M be testing but backers will also have a chance to be selected to receive an alpha set to play test!
Please note that during Alpha testing, some cards may not feature artwork or may have placeholder images.
JULY - SEPTEMBER 2013
Any feedback received from the testing period will be applied and balance will be implemented.
We are also hoping to have the majority of our artwork completed and applied to cards that are without.
Wider testing will commence.
OCTOBER - NOVEMBER 2013
By this time we aim to have the first set completed with artwork and ready to be finalised. During this period, cards will be checked that the quality is up to standard once printed.
During this month we aim to have the complete first set released publicly and available to buy
Promotional items will also be on the list of things to be completed by this time!
Funding will be used to pay the artists who will be designing beautiful artwork for the cards.
It will also be used to print cards en masse to use during promotional events to aid showcasing. We hope to release a beta version as soon as possible and hope to gather as much feedback from players as possible!
If you have any more queries or questions, then please don't hesitate to ask!
Risks and challenges
Of course, with any TCG, success only comes with an established following and the biggest question is, "Will it be popular?"
I'm pretty confident that I have created quite an alluring style of TCG gameplay that will help to captivate and challenge players.
- (60 days)