About this project
Who is A Global Friendship?
We are a non-profit that empowers women around the world living on under $10 a day, helping them to break the cycle of poverty. We work to improve the standard of living in developing communities. We create sustainable businesses for artisans around the world by providing them with small business training and market access.
Since A Global Friendship first launched, we have come a long way. We are proud to say that the small businesses we created in Thailand and Indonesia now employ 18 and 10 individuals, respectively.
Now, we are bringing our work home to create jobs right here in the USA! Our latest development on the Pine Ridge Reservation needs your help. We're offering our Kickstarter supporters first access to the limited edition Sage Braid: A Global Friendship Bracelet.
What is The Sage Braid: A Global Friendship Bracelet?
- A premium bracelet with a rich history: The Sage Braid is a unique piece of jewelry that is the perfect staple accessory for everyday wear. The design reflects the rich culture of the Lakota Sioux Tribe.
- A statement: With every purchase of a Sage Braid, you are making a difference. You can wear it with pride knowing you changed someone's life for the better.
- Made in the USA: The Sage Braid is created on the Pine Ridge Reservation in South Dakota. Our goal is to create 3 sustainable businesses with up to 10 employees in each.
- Handcrafted: Made of premium leather and fresh sage, The Sage Braid has been designed to last by the artisans of PRR. Handmade by artisans in the tribe themselves, each individually crafted item attests to their remarkable skill set.
- Customizable: Make it your own! Pick the leather and bead of your choice. You can even add the Kickstarter exclusive "Spirit" charm to your bracelet.
- Smells incredible: Put one in any drawer and the contents will smell amazing. You can imagine how great it is going to smell on your wrist. Wear it in place of perfume!
- Unisex: The Sage Braid is perfect for anyone because you can customize it to your liking.
- The perfect gift: Give the gift of good energy.
NEW! The Pine Ridge Ring
FOR HOLIDAY DELIVERY
The Pine Ridge Ring is hand beaded and hand sewn. It is made of genuine leather.
This design is made exclusively for Kickstarter, and will only be available until the project has ended.
For a pledge of $15, the Pine Ridge Ring is the perfect gift for the Holiday season!
Why the Pine Ridge Reservation?
The Pine Ridge Reservation is a Native American reservation located in South Dakota inhabited by the Sioux tribe. While the reservation is rich in culture, they are struggling to break the cycle of poverty. The people of PRR are living in third-world conditions and are suffering from an 80% unemployment rate.
Sage symbolizes long life and wisdom. According to the Sioux tribe, it is believed to ward off bad energy and harness power. Sage grows in abundance on the reservation, which makes us proud to say that we're bringing a sustainable and eco-friendly product to the market. And it smells incredible! When the sage falls off your unique bracelet, you can join in on a Sioux tribe tradition by burning the sage. This is believed to bring positive energy and purify your surroundings. The best part is you will still be left with a handcrafted leather charm bracelet.
Each bracelet is handcrafted by a woman of the Sioux tribe in South Dakota. The final product is a creation of talented and beautiful artisan skill. Sage is picked from the Reservation, which then must be dried out and woven around a hand cut leather piece. All of this culminates into the final product: a unique and spiritual Sage Braid.
Choose from 3 types of leather and 8 different beads (2 metal and 6 crystal) to create your own masterpiece.
Add the Kickstarter exclusive "Spirit" charm to signify the Sioux tribe's tradition of using sage to strengthen the power of their spirit.
Our rewards are set for Spring 2014 based on the season's sage growth schedule. This means all purchasers of The Sage Braid will receive a product made from the fresh harvest.
If you are planning on giving The Sage Braid as a gift for Holiday 2013, we would be happy to send your recipient a card explaining their gift and how it affects the women of the Pine Ridge Reservation.
How you can help:
We are seeking to raise $12,500 to finalizing the prototype, so that the women of the Pine Ridge Reservation can make this product their full-time focus. With your support, we can make this happen. We can save the Pine Ridge Reservation from poverty and give hope to a community that has none.
Thank you for taking the time to check out our project. Let's change the world one bracelet at a time!
Risks and challenges
Sage blooms in the Spring hence our delivery dates. We have set our reward levels and delivery dates by making a conservative estimate. We do not foresee any issues.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)