Are you a designer who wants to learn more about the AR/VR space? Are you a motivated design student in NYC? Then come join us!
From 2D to 3D Design: AR/VR Workshop for Designers is a full-day workshop that will be held at the School of Visual Arts Interaction Design Studio in New York City on Saturday, September 29th, 2018. We've invited prominent members of the New York AR/VR community to speak. Some of our speakers so far include*:
*Please note that the workshop itinerary of speakers has not been finalized, and may be subject to change.
The workshop is for design students and professional designers interested in learning about VR and AR, testing out new technologies, and transitioning from 2D design to 3D design.
We will cap the workshop at 50 in-person attendees. For people who cannot attend the workshop in person, we will offer a locked digital version for $10.
Why Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality?
VR/AR has become the next frontier beyond the screen. With more and more focus on 3D, designers have started to realize that this is a completely new medium which has different constraints than a traditional 2D screen. The design guidelines around how to make user-friendly AR experiences are still new and evolving. The goal of our workshop is to orient new designers into the world of VR/AR and get a chance to hear from industry experts in the field.
Why We Need Your Help
We are graduate students trying to make VR/AR more accessible to the design community and to design students. We already have a space secured, but we need your help to fund the effort! Your pledge will help us pay for:
- Compensating prominent members of the VR/AR community in NYC to speak
- Providing tickets for a limited amount of promising and motivated students who apply for a chance to attend our workshop for free
- Buying and Renting AR Hardware
- Website to house digital content and marketing collateral
- Printing of workshop materials
- Renting AV equipment to record the session
What You Get
If you're in New York:
- Get a chance to attend our workshop.
- Get a chance to sponsor a friend, family member, or student to attend our workshop.
- Get a copy of our workshop materials.
- Get a video copy of our workshop.
- Meet awesome designers in the VR/AR space!
If you're not in New York:
- Get a chance to sponsor a friend, family member, student to attend our workshop.
- Get a video copy of our workshop.
- Strengthen the growing community of AR Designers.
SVA's Interaction Design Program is located in the heart of Manhattan, steps away from the Flatiron Building.
We're based in New York, and so our primary goal is to run this workshop in NYC.
If we raise $6,000 ~ We'll be able to run an additional 10-person hands-on building session with ARKit!
If we raise $10,000 ~ We'll take our workshop to San Francisco so backers on the West Coast can attend as well.
Who We Are
Hi! We're Crystal and Abhinav, two interaction design graduate students at the School of Visual Arts who are exploring design for new and emerging technologies. An industrial designer and applied mathematician by training, we are now breaking into the VR/AR space and passionate about bringing the design community along with us!
Risks and challenges
This is the first time we are running a workshop as students, although we have attended many in the past. We are still in the process of securing speakers and panelists and the list is subject to change during the length of our funding period. The more we can give them, the more likely it is we can secure awesome people!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (15 days)