About this project
Crushed is the story of a young woman who returns home to her family vineyard after her father dies in an accident on the winery. But when his death is ruled a murder and her mother becomes the prime suspect she must uncover the truth.
Who We Are...
We are three passionate filmmakers who joined together to form Brim Pictures. Megan Riakos (writer/director) studied directing and screenwriting at AFTRS & UCLA respectively and has worked for over ten years in the film industry. Sarah Bishop (lead actor/producer) studied acting at ATYP in Sydney and with Anthony Meindl in Los Angeles and is currently creating comedy with Skit Box for the ABC. And Robbie Miles who also studied at AFTRS, is a Development Executive for Full Clip Productions in Los Angeles. We decided to pool together our skills and resources to produce our first feature film.
As well as Sarah, we have an incredible ensemble cast including Les Hill (Underbelly), Roxane Wilson (Stingers), Helmut Bakaitis (The Matrix Trilogy), Aaron Glenane (Drift), Jamie Irvine (Anzac Girls), Millie Spencer-Brown (Dance Academy), Remy Brand (Home & Away), Patrick Connolly (Rake), Benjamin Mathews (Love My Way), Rupert Reid (NCIS) and Chantelle Jamieson (Crownies).
And our talented crew includes our Cinematographer Michael Steel (House Husbands), Editor Anil Griffin (Deadbeat Dads), Production Designer Cate Rann (50-50) and multi-award winning Composer Aaron Kenny (Moth) who is currently on a scholarship undertaking his Masters at NYU.
Where We're At...
We shot Crushed in 19 days over the summer in Mudgee. We’ve got an incredible product in the can but now we need your support to help us complete the film.
Your support will help finance key aspects of post production including editing, colour-correction, music and sound design it will also assist in submitting the film to recognised film festivals as well as to market and distribute the film to audiences in Australia and internationally.
What's unique about our Kickstarter campaign and this film...
- We’ve already shot the film. Which means the riskiest part is over! So your support will be going towards finessing and finishing an already high-quality product.
- We have self-funded the majority of this project. We’re not asking you to put money into something that we haven’t already personally and financially backed ourselves.
- Female Characters & Creatives! We pass the Bechdel Test! This film was written by a female writer/director and three of the main roles in this film are played by women. By supporting Crushed, you’ll be helping to support a strong and unique new female voice in cinema.
- You can be part of the launch of our very first vineyard screening! Our intention with Crushed has always been for people to see our film in a unique setting - on a vineyard under the stars so that you can feel a part of the action on the screen. When we release our film in 2015 we will have a series of screenings in wine regions across the country. Through this fundraising campaign we're offering a select few advanced tickets to our very first Cast & Crew Premiere screening on a vineyard in Mudgee!
What are the Crushed Vineyard Screenings?...
We’re excited about this Kickstarter campaign because it will allow us to connect with our audience (that's you!) and tell you more about our unique distribution plan including event-style screenings on a vineyard. Wineries regularly play host to music concerts and have become a staple summer event in Australia, as are open-air cinemas. The ideal place that we want YOU to see Crushed is in the open-air on a vineyard so you can feel as though you’re part of the action. By contributing to this campaign, you will help us complete the film so that we can get it out to screenings at vineyards across Australia at wine regions like Mudgee, Barossa Valley, Hunter Valley, Margaret River, Geelong and the Yarra Valley. We’d also love to see this process go overseas especially to places like Napa Valley, USA!
What Rewards are up for grabs?…
- Digital Downloads of the film. So you can sign up to see the film first from the comfort of your own home!
- Official Crushed merchandise - including Crushed wine openers, wine picnic packs and 'Mudgeewood' t-shirts and tote bags.
- Tickets to the official Cast & Crew Premiere Screening on a vineyard under the stars in Mudgee! Including tix to the after party with drinks and nibblies and a chance to mingle with the cast & crew.
******************* SCREENING DATES NOW RELEASED *******************
Sat 22 November 2014 - MUDGEE CAST & CREW PREMIERE
Fri 28 November 2014 - SYDNEY PRIVATE KICKSTARTER SCREENING
Read what the media are saying about Crushed...
Want to help, but can't donate?...
There are several ways you could still support Crushed:
- Share our campaign on Facebook, Twitter, via email, or any other network you have access to! And use #crushedfilm
- Know someone who loves wine and might be interested in this film? Send them a link to the campaign!
- Like us here on Facebook!
- Follow us here on Twitter!
Thank you for your support!!!
Want more info?... See a letter from our director below!
After watching the film They Shoot Horses Don't They in my year 10 media studies class, I knew that I wanted to make films. It left me feeling incredibly sad, I had this sense of regret for the main character, a sense of longing for a world where people weren't forced into terrible circumstances. But it also made me think.
Cinema has an amazing ability to allow you to tap into what makes us human.
To fear, to love, to despise and to empathise with someone you never thought you would.
Crushed is the culmination of the 17 years of work it has taken me from being an impressionable teenager watching that great Sydney Pollack film, to a first time feature film director. But the Crushed story itself began just over a year ago when I decided that I didn't want to wait for permission any longer to make that step. I thought 17 years of preparation was enough and that if my goal was to be a feature film director then the best way to get there was to just go out and do it. No excuses. So after many drafts of the script, slowly building the cast and crew and investing money into the project that I had squirrelled away, Crushed was born.
I am proud so far of what we have achieved, but there is still a long way to go towards moulding and nurturing the film, so it can be the best it can be. Your support will help us to do that. And I hope that this film is the first of many to come.
Megan Riakos - Writer/Director/Producer of Crushed
Risks and challenges
Making a low-budget independent film in Australia is tough business. We’ve already braved heat waves, dust storms, raging cattle and heavy rain to get this film shot. The biggest challenge we face now is to get this film through post-production and out to audiences both locally and abroad.
In addition to our Kickstarter campaign - we plan to partner with an experienced Executive Producer, sales agent and Australian distributor to help us navigate the marketing and distribution process.
But in order for us to pitch the film to potential partners, we really need your help now in this critical phase.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (26 days)