About this project
Watch Brandon and Kevin go head-to-head, OSU vs Michigan style, using the Compete Feature of the 94Fifty App.
Recent Media Buzz:
We've had a ton of great media lately and we wanted to share some of the more prominent pubs that have covered us. More than 200 and counting in the past week! Here are a few:
A Normal Ball That Gives You Advanced Training Whenever You Want It.
- Regulation size, weight, and spin indoor/outdoor Bluetooth enabled sensor basketball
- Downloadable app packed with ways to measure stuff that helps you to get better faster
- Wireless Qi charging pad
- Instant feedback - shot by shot or every dribble
- 50 different head-to-head competition choices
- Skill-based leveling workouts that get more difficult as you improve
- QuickTrain shot analyzer for shot speed, shot arc, and backspin
- QuickTrain ball-handling for power dribbling, speed dribbling, and off-hand dribbling
- Stores workout and competition history for up to 4 players for 3 months
- Indoor/Outdoor synthetic leather cover
- Wireless recharging and up to 8 hours of battery life
- Up to 90 ft. range from hand held
- Men's and women's/youth sizes (You will be able to select the ball size once the project is funded)
Four Apps Included with Ball
There are four distinct functional areas within the base app you get with the ball, and all of them have a well-thought purpose. The App contains:
- Workout - to improve skills and motivate practice
- QuickTraining - to focus on specific areas of skill
- Compete - for head to head competition for up to 4 players
- Challenge - to interact with other players around the world.
- Focus is on skill development for ball-handling and shooting.
- Timed, Pre-defined drills - Player performs at game speed while app measures specific skill metrics.
- Performance history - record personal bests for 3 months of each drill.
- Instant results and personal feedback.
- Uses leveling to motivate practice (4 levels from Playground to Pro).
- Free form - perform any drill you want and measure what you want.
- Instant results with no history - designed for quick muscle memory learning.
- Choose to measure shot speed, shot arc, backspin and dribble force for quick feedback on your priorities.
- Instant head-to-head competition, anywhere, anytime.
- Choose from over 40 drills to compete.
- Choose different ways to score your competition (most dribbles in 20 seconds, or most powerful dribble, or most accurate shooter with the fastest shot release).
- Instant scoreboards to see who wins.
- Running leaderboard for 4 players (to see who gets bragging rights) History kept for three months.
- Uses Twitter to allow players to compete in real time from anywhere in the world.
- Follow favorite players, watch for challenges, and compete against the world. (Trash talk optional)
Why Put Sensors in a Ball?
We asked the same thing 5 years ago when we were working to determine how best to measure important elements of skill. It turns out that the ball is simply a receiver of force, and those forces are applied by the player. It goes where the player tells it to go. By measuring all the forces put into or taken out of the ball, and the consistency at which the player can apply forces at game speed, we actually get an amazing picture of how well that player can perform under pressure. (And in some sports like basketball and soccer, there is always some kind of pressure)
The sensors inside are programmed to recognize and measure stuff we can't see with the human eye, but when we can measure that same stuff and display it for the player to see, we can quickly improve shooting and ball-handling skills, such as:
- Shooting accurately and quickly (Did you know that great shooters can shoot the ball after the catch in less than .75 seconds with great accuracy?)
- Shooting with ideal arc (Did you know an ideal shot has an entry angle between 42 and 48 degrees to the basket?)
- Shooting with proper release and backspin (Did you know that the ideal backspin generated on a shot is between 135 and 150 revolutions per minute?)
- Dribbling with force/confidence (Did you know that great ballhandlers dribble with forces greater than 6 g’s with either hand?)
- Dribbling with speed (Did you know that putting down 150 dribbles in less than 20 seconds puts you at the top limits of human hand speed?)
Players simply use the ball when they practice or to test for improvement, to compete with other players to see who has the best skills, or to focus on a specific weakness that is important. But more about the App in a second. A few final details about the ball: The range of the Bluetooth is up to 90 feet from the handheld, and the results are displayed instantly. You can see every dribble counted and get results after each shot. It’s fast - about 100 millisecond speed from action to visual display. And it measures any forces applied to the ball - spin, acceleration, you name it. A full 360 degree view of the ball - and the player that moves it. The ball is going to give you data and feedback about your game that is smart, precise, and freakishly accurate. Yeah, it's that good.
How it Works
To get started, you download an app to your phone or tablet and bounce the ball three or four times to connect it to the app - that's about it. We have taken great care to make this a very easy and reliable process.
It can be used by a single player working on their game. By rec players trying to get an edge. By parents helping their kids improve. By coaches and trainers developing skills. Or by elite players wanting to get to the next level. If there is a goal to be achieved, this is the answer.
The 94Fifty sensor basketball feels and weighs the same as any basketball. But embedded inside, the ball has an array of 6 sensors, a Bluetooth radio, and battery positioned in a holder engineered to minimize vibrations on the sensors and maximize ball performance. The entire ball is engineered to counterbalance the extra weight so you can’t feel it when you play. Oh yeah - it's also very rugged. We provide a 1 year warranty on the components as long as you don’t use it in the pool or fire it out of a cannon against a wall. Otherwise, its built for normal use. We use Qi wireless charging, so it comes with a small re-charging pad. Simply put the ball on the pad to add power. The battery can last up to 8 hours of normal use before you need to charge it again.
Our Passion: Why We Do What We Do
Until now, only elite athletes had access to the best training technologies or personal trainers. If you had tens of thousands of dollars, you could have that that advantage too. For the rest of us, InfoMotion products are designed to bring that same level of sophisticated training tools to any athlete at an affordable price. The reason for starting this project is simple: what gets measured, gets improved - and we have a passion for improvement. But for some sports there are no low-cost sensor and tracking technologies to objectively measure muscle memory skills that enhance basketball performance. In basketball, it is not enough to simply know how fast you run or how high you jump. You must develop skill. These skills have been impossible to measure and quantify, but now athletes at any level can get real time feedback in a personal, engaging way as if they had the world’s best coaches working with them on a daily basis. There is nothing more fulfilling than to see players with simple goals experience success, but many players simply don’t have access to the people or coaching to know how.
Next Steps - Your Support
The 94Fifty sensor technology, wireless recharging capability, Bluetooth communication, and a robust, downloadable basketball app have now been perfected. If we reach our Kickstarter goal of $100,000 it will help us finalize some Bluetooth certifications, finalize the iOS version of the app, and enter production. If we start to reach some stretch goals, we can accelerate our progress on developing the same technology for soccer and eventually other sports. Pretty cool stuff. But it's hard work and requires support. We'd love to have you on board.
We work with some great companies that have been extremely helpful to us that we'd like to recognize.
Texas Instruments - for making some of our key components in a way we could find solutions to our engineering challenges by pushing the limits of their Bluetooth, DSP processor, and Qi charging. Way ahead of the curve for the market.
Invensense - for making great motion sensing technology in such a small, compact form factor and for working with us to unlock the full capabilities of their products.
Risks and challenges
This Kickstarter project was created to fund the final stages of testing, app certification, and production details of our first consumer focused products Our first product offers amazing tracking and instant sports science to basketball coaches and teams, but it is cost prohibitive for the individual player that requires the purchase of a dedicated laptop with specialized software. We have now reduced the computing power required by the laptop onto a small, 10 gram Bluetooth enabled chipset embedded in the ball that processes data and allows it to communicate instantly through a downloadable app on a smartphone device. The primary risk is production lead time and certifications. The parts acquisition for larger production runs requires long lead times - and that's just to get the parts. Then we need to get the completed sensor units into the ball. But the sooner we can start, the sooner we can get 94Fifty into your hands.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Yes - we have 28.5" and 29.5" basketballs. Both game spec and weight. We do not have 27.5" - yet.
Absolutely. We have built four different appas within the base app you get with the ball. We build the Workout function so that players at any level and any age can start to engage with success - the drills and metrics get harder only as the player improves. Young players also like the Compete function which provides drills and scoring choices for younger and more developed players. We have found that skill is age and size independent, so the app adapts to the player as it senses improvement is occuring.
What is the 60 day free trial of the online subscription and do I have to pay going forward if I get a ball?
We have an amazing online community that can store data, allows players to see the global leaderboard for skills, compete with each other, get personalized video workouts, and much more. Coaches get a full view of the entire team. This is an optional premium service that is not required with the new Bluetooth ball, so we give everyone a free 60 day trial on it. If you don't like it, there is not need to pay any more. The app is fully functional on its own and delivers amazing value.
We recognize that its an investment, so we provide a 1 year warranty on the electronics in the ball (as long as you don't leave it floating in your pool or drop it off the grand canyon etc). It is an indoor/outdoor ball, so it can be used anywhere. To make the skin of the ball last as long as possible, indoor use is optimal. But - we are using a very rugged composite skin to make it last wherever its used.
The short answer is that its accuracy and ability to diagnose issues will literally freak you out. The algorithms we have embedded onto the chip in the ball look for combinations of patters - pretty complex stuff. When it sees them, there is logic built into the app that determines what the issue is and the app will provide feedback about the issue. For example, we know that when a shooter has too much backspin and low shooting arc, the shooter most likely shoots from the shoulder. The feedback from the app will be to use more legs on the shot, develop more wrist strength, and raise the shot release for a softer shot. There is a lot built into the technology designed to help players get better - faster.
Upon reaching the project goal and the successful conclusion of the project on April 8, you will receive an email that allows you to confirm your order and shipping details.
Support this project
- (34 days)