About this project
Millions of children lack books in their homes or cannot access books elsewhere. Their school libraries have been shut down, they live too far away from public libraries and their families cannot afford to buy books, which average $10 a piece. For many families, taking care of basic needs will always win over buying books.
Little Free Library® helps solve this problem, and we can do more with your help and pledge today. 96% of Little Free Library's expenses are covered through the sales of our products. We are a social enterprise non-profit. Hence, nearly every cent raised from this campaign will help us:
- Install hundreds more Little Free Libraries that 'kick start" brighter futures for thousands of children through the power of literacy,
- Water book deserts - rural or urban areas where books are difficult to access or afford,
- Help teachers provide books to their students that they can take home to enjoy and build their reading skills during summer and year-round,
- Provide police departments with Libraries of Understanding that will help them engage with youths and encourage them to read.
- Positively impact at least 100 communities through the power of reading.
How is the possible? Because Little Free Library®, is the organization that started and sustains a growing global literacy movement.
- Have trajectory and reach, growing from one library to 27,000 in just 5 years and there are now Little Free Libraries in every U.S. state, every Canadian province and in 80 other countries,
- Have circulated 40 million free books through our libraries, making us a successful part of the sharing economy,
- Have a strong network of book-loving and community-building stewards who last year alone put 2.7 million volunteer hours into building a culture of reading in their neighborhoods,
- Have powerful literacy partners like Library of Congress' Center of the Book, American Library Association, First Book, International Literacy Association, Books for Africa, and Room to Read, to name a few.
Show your compassion through action by helping us “kick start” this initiative today.
For many, they rarely have a reason to talk with those closest to them. Little Free Library is a catalyst for neighborhood conversation as stories are swapped, literature shared and deeper connections made. Little Free Library brings literacy right to the curbside, building cultures of readers.
Each Little Free Library acts as a “mini town square” and book distribution center, where children and adults can meet, connect and pick up a good book. An individual or group of stewards regularly care for each Library and ensures that it is in good repair, friendly and regularly stocked with high-quality books.
Hailed by the New York Times as a “global sensation,” Little Free Libraries are becoming a widely accepted way to not only share books and encourage the love of reading, but strengthen community ties and connect face-to-face in an increasingly digital world.
Little Free Library's Libraries of Understanding help police departments and civic groups build relationships with whom they protect and serve, and provide youths hope of brighter futures through the wonder of books.
We want to double and deepen our impact and build 50,000 Little Free Libraries by 2017. With a little help from friends like you, we can reach this goal.
Can I select more than one reward?
Absolutely! Select one of the rewards first, and then add up the total amount of all the rewards you'd like and enter that as the total amount you're going to pledge.
After that is completed come back to this page and click the "Contact Me" button under the "Back this Project" button on the top right side of the page and let us know which combination of rewards you'd like. After we receive your message we'll send you a confirmation and you're all set!
What happens if you don't reach your goal?
Kickstarter is an all-or-nothing venture so if we are unable to reach our goal amount of $50,000 we'll receive none of the pledges, and none of our backer's credit cards will be charged. Yes, this makes us a little nervous, but we really need this amount to make a difference so please band with us and help to bring more books to communities in need!
What happens if you exceed your goal? Do you have stretch goals?
After we do an embarrassing happy dance, we have great things in store for our stretch goals.
- With every $500 extra raised, we can positively impact another community with a Little Free Library and a book-loving steward to ensure its success.This is a conservative assessment. We can usually do even more,
- With an extra $10,000 we can mobile optimize our website with a modern responsive design.
- With an extra $20,000 we can upgrade our technology to better respond to needs of our community and those hoping to bring Little Free Libraries to their neighborhoods,
- With an extra $50,000 we can better build our infrastructure to meet global demands on our organization that are growing every day.
"When my husband and I planted a Little Free Library -- a community book exchange -- in front of our Minneapolis bungalow, the response from the neighborhood was immediate, and immediately positive."
5 Reasons To Love Little Free Libraries - Huffington Post
"It is, to me, an almost perfect expression of literary democracy: Take a book, return a book, reading not as commodity exchange but exchange of identity, of ideas."
Literary democracy in action: 'The Little Free Library Book' - Los Angeles Times
"The gentleman that's in charge of the Center for the Book said that Little Free Library is the hottest literacy movement in the world," Bol said. "I thought, 'OK, I'll take that.'"Spread the words: Little Free Libraries find global following - MPR News
"If books are your heart and soul, you want to share that with your friends and neighbors. It becomes something that excites people."
Little Free Libraries aim to grow beyond neighborhood curiosity - Chicago Tribune
Have questions? Please visit our FAQ here: littlefreelibrary.org/faqs.
Risks and challenges
There are potential potential delays in finding stewards to oversee libraries that we are able to fund.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (29 days)