This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream
HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream
A comprehensive book investigating one of the World's most unusual children's toys - the 1979 Kenner ALIEN action figure.
A comprehensive book investigating one of the World's most unusual children's toys - the 1979 Kenner ALIEN action figure. Read more
This project will only be funded if it reaches its goal by .
About this project
HIDEOUS PLASTIC – In stores everyone can hear you scream is an upcoming non-fiction book dedicated to the Classic 18 inch tall vintage ALIEN action figure manufactured by Kenner Products and released in 1979. The book examines many, many aspects and features of the vintage toy and is currently in an advanced stage of preparation.
This book will appeal to fans of the movie ALIEN along with toy collectors and enthusiasts alike.
WHAT EXACTLY IS INSIDE THIS BOOK?
At over 200 pages in length, the book is an extensive volume thoroughly investigating the figure. Here's a complete content breakdown of the book:
- Front cover, frontis & title pages, print history and contents: 12 pages.
- Preface and Introduction: 8 pages.
- Chapter 1: Full documentation of the notorious figure’s curious and unique history. 30 pages.
- Chapter 2: A closer look at the figure in extensive detail: 14 pages.
- Chapter 3: A complete spotter’s guide to identifying issues buyers need to be aware when purchasing one of these old action figures: 36 pages.
- Chapter 4: A comprehensive restoration and maintenance guide for owners of this vintage toy: 56 pages.
- Chapter 5: Other maintenance considerations: 10 pages.
- Chapter 6: Identification and exploration of the various post-Kenner derivative action figures from now defunct companies such as Tsukuda Hobby and Halcyon up to current manufacturers Gentle Giant and Super 7: 42 pages.
- Chapter 7: Concluding notes and summary of the figure: 4 pages.
- Product bibliography: All figures appearing in the book are identified including manufacturer, product numbers, year of release, etc.: 6 pages.
- KickStarter supporter's pages, acknowledgements, online resources, about the author: 8 pages.
- An additional number of pages are being allocated for the Owner's Gallery (see reward tier on side bar): Up to 15 pages.
These page counts are subject to change but as they stand, the book could potentially be over 250 pages in length. I anticipate page layout and editing will reduce that amount. Nonetheless, it's a safe bet the finished volume will be in excess of 200 pages. Easily.
HIDEOUS PLASTIC – In stores everyone can hear you scream investigates and explores the nefarious vintage action figure and its legacy from its initial release until today. Currently most of the content is in place.
While the attention of a Professional Editor and Layout Designer is needed to bring the book to a print ready state, its content is near complete. Below are 8 work in progress sample pages:
A portion of the book has already been released online. HIDEOUS PLASTIC – Preview Edition is a downloadable item. It is an excerpt from the book and is available for FREE. You can use it to evaluate the book's progress and help decide if supporting this Project is for you.
Inside this Preview Edition you will discover the influences and curious circumstances that led up the very first toy based on an R-rated movie being marketed at children. This 30 page excerpt includes the entire first Chapter of the manuscript in its current stage of development, in .pdf format.
Please keep in mind this excerpt is from an incomplete draft of the manuscript which is continuing to evolve. Various placeholders and other temporary content is present. Nonetheless, It represents approximately 15% of the book’s current total content. The book still requires a lot of attention and it won’t be available until late 2017 so think of this release sample as a FREE ‘early access demo’. Like such demos, its critical components are in place but the content is lacking in polish and presentation.
The main drive behind this crowd sourcing campaign is to get this book into Backer's hands so I'm keeping the Rewards simple and focused towards this Goal. All Backers supporting these Reward Tiers will have their name included on the KickStarter supporters page at the back of the book. Full documentation regarding the campaign Backer Items can be found on the HIDEOUS PLASTIC web site.
Note: Due to where I live, KickStarter won't permit me to express costs in anything but Australian Dollars. In which case, please keep in mind that the exchange rate currently favors the USD. USD is substantially LOWER than the AUD values expressed on this campaign. All conversions displayed on this campaign are approximate only.
Here's the campaign briefs:
- PLEDGE AU$12 (Approx. US$9.10) - Vote of Confidence: If you want to show your support but don't actually want a copy of the book, that's perfectly fine. This Level is for you. Mind you, your contribution will still leave a tangible mark as your name will be recorded in the KickStarter Backers page at the back of the book for all to see.
- PLEDGE AU$20 (Approx. US$15) - Digital Ebook Edition: A limited number of Ebook editions for anyone who prefers an electronic version. Formats are limited to Kobo and iBook users only. Kindle will not be supported. (LIMITED to 200 Backers.)
- PLEDGE AU$15 (Approx. US$12) - Vote for the Cover!: For those Backers that just want to influence the outward appearance of the book to the world then this tier is ideal. Have some fun and vote on 1 of 3 concepts that are currently being considered for the cover. Only 1 can win! So choose wisely. No physical rewards other than directly influencing the book's final outward appearance; but you also have your name added to the KickStarter Backer's page in the back of the book. Additional information can be found on the HIDEOUS PLASTIC web site.
- PLEDGE AU$40 (Approx. US$31) - Course Correction: This is the adjusted Backer support tier if you want a physical copy of the book. When published, it gets delivered to your doorstep. Anywhere in the World. No additional costs. You also may optionally vote on the cover and your name is added to the KickStarter Backer's page inside the book. This Reward is limited to 800 units.
- PLEDGE AU$65 (Approx. US$50) - Full Print Edition: This is the unlimited availability Backer support tier if you want a physical copy of the book. When published, it gets delivered to your doorstep. Anywhere in the World. No additional costs. You also may optionally vote on the cover and your name is added to the KickStarter Backer's page inside the book.
- PLEDGE AU$110 (Approx. US$84) - Collector Fan: 3 copies at a discount price is a good deal! Some people like to own more than one copy of a book. ...or you and a pair of friends may want a copy each and can choose to pool your resources to take advantage of this Pledge to have copies delivered at a cheaper rate. ...or you may want one as a 'hands on' reading copy and keep pristine editions on a shelf. ...or you may want to keep one and give the others away as a gifts. ...or sell them on Ebay. You'll have your own reasons for wanting multiple copies delivered to your door. You also get to optionally vote (once only) on the cover and your name is added to the KickStarter Backer's page.
- PLEDGE AU$100 (Approx. US$76) - Gallery Patron: Get your photo in the book! The book will feature an image gallery of up to 15 pages. Each page will display 2 images in landscape orientation, one above the other. The gallery will be comprised of owners of 1979 Kenner ALIEN action figures posing with their vintage action figure. (regardless of its completeness or condition). If you own one of these old toys and would like to appear in the book with it, this pledge is for you! Conditions apply. All the information you need can be found on the HIDEOUS PLASTIC web site. (LIMITED to 30 Backers.) You also get to optionally vote on the cover and your name is added to the KickStarter Backer's page.
- PLEDGE AU$600 (Approx US$462) - Xenothusiast: If you want a copy of the book and would also like an original 1979 Kenner ALIEN action figure to go with it, then you're in luck! I have 25 fully restored vintage figures to hand out to such Backers. Each one of these vintage figures being offered as part of this tier have been cleaned expertly reconditioned, repaired and made feature complete once again. I have performed all the work on these impressive items and they are ready for display. I'll also include a certificate of restoration outlining the work that has been carried out on each of these figures. (LIMITED to 25 Backers) Don't forget! At this price, this pledge includes postage for a moderately large 200+ page book and a delicate 18" tall action figure to be safely posted anywhere in the World. Insurance and tracking for your peace of mind is included. You also get to optionally vote on the cover and your name is added to the KickStarter Backer's page. Please see on the HIDEOUS PLASTIC web site for more information.
Postage worldwide is provided as part of pledges made. Tracking and insurance is also included. No additional postage charges will apply.
Our Goal is based on the belief that we (My Publisher and I) are engaging in a KickStarter campaign to ensure this book is published. As the need for a 'course correction' has dictated changes to the original campaign goal, all Stretch Goals have been removed.
The sole Primary Goal now is achieve the raising of adequate funds to publish and distribute the full color paperback edition of the book. No hardcover edition will be available.
We just have one goal now, ensure this book is published.
- Primary Goal: Basic Edition - AU$25,000 (Approx. US$19,235) - Paperback. Color throughout. 128 gsm white. Finished size: 176 x 254mm (Portrait) – 240pp.
Working with a proposed budget of AU$25,000 (Approx. US$19,235) for the Primary Goal, there are 3 main areas where funding will be allocated. While these are simplified estimates of actual costs, the percentages are calculated from quotes already acquired to achieve the Goal:
- 8% - AU$2000 (Approx. US$1535) - Service Fees: This figure is a mandatory value. It covers KickStarter's fees and other administrative costs.
- 12% - AU$3000 (Approx. US$2302) - Design Costs: The actual design costs of the book itself, all necessary. Included in this category are Editing, Layout Design, Cover Design and other smaller sundry items such as ISBN registration.
- 80% - AU$20000 (Approx. US$15250) Production Costs: All printing, binding and distribution costs are included here. Possibly hundreds of copies of this book will be posted worldwide. Appropriate numbers of secure padded envelopes and packing materials will need to be purchased for this purpose so those costs along with worldwide distribution have been factored into the campaign budget. These are all unavoidable costs and take up a substantial amount of the budget. Insurance and tracking are also included. Costly, but completely necessary.
This timeline provides a basic outline of the workflow on the book since work commenced in late June, 2015. By the end of that year, I was in possession of a manuscript of substantial size. It was large enough to present to an Intellectual Property consultant who worked closely with me during the following 12 months. Together we worked to keep the Project legal and respectful of copyright laws and issues.
Work on the book progressed throughout all of 2016. Once I had approval from my Consultant to continue and make announcements, the website was launched in December of that year. The Preview Edition was released soon thereafter just before the New Year. Early 2017 saw a shift in focus of my energies and attention to maintain the web site and promote the book culminating in this KickStarter campaign, launched in March, 2017.
Which brings us to where we are currently.
If successfully funded, work will continue on the book throughout much of the remainder of the year until it is published, released and distributed to KickStarter supporters in October, 2017.
The entire process has been a substantial amount of focused effort on my part and I have managed to easily maintain the schedule as planned.
While this book may be considered a stand alone Project, it is intended to be the first volume in a proposed HIDEOUS PLASTIC trilogy. Regardless of the necessary course correction, Volumes 2&3 are still under consideration. Each book is a separate and considerably ambitious Project in their own right and may become individual KickStarter Projects at a later date.
Thank you for your time and please support this unique Project. There have been many books written about the movie ALIEN but this is the first - and only - book dedicated to examining any of its tie-in merchandise. At over 200 pages, it's a major and original piece of work about a largely undocumented topic. One that needs to be published.
I live in Australia and have been an ALIEN fan since the movie was
originally released in 1979. I have always owned at least one Kenner
Products ALIEN action figure since Christmas of that year. Currently,
in excess of 3 dozen of these large scale figures are in my possession.
I have been involved in the Greater ALIENS vs PREDATOR online Community since 1999. During this time, I have written many articles and reviews for online sites such as Planet AvP (now defunct), Global AvP and AvP Galaxy.
I am also well known for modding and creating custom content for the computer game, ALIENS vs PREDATOR 2. The Single Player Predator campaign, Under the Hunter’s Moon, inspired by the 20th Century Fox ALIEN vs PREDATOR cinema release from 2004 has often been hailed as being ‘better than the movie’.
Along with some unreleased titles, I have also worked on several computer games you may be familiar with. In the capacity of Level Designer I have worked on Primal Carnage, Primal Carnage: Extinction and The Isle.
HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream is my first book. It is due out in October 2017, 38 years after the original action figure was first released.
Risks and challenges
Most of the challenges are behind me now.
While this is an independent Project not associated with 20th Century Fox or its affiliates, the legal side of working on a Project such as this has been addressed. I've been working under the guidance of a Trademark Attorney with several decades of experience in copyright law to help bring this Project to life. Such copyright issues have been dealt with and it's all good to proceed.
As for the book itself, the content is all in place. The Editor, Publisher and other service providers are keen to get their teeth into this.
Notwithstanding anything extraordinary, the only real concern now is making it happen financially. By raising adequate funds, this Project has a clear plan and will successfully proceed to its launch deadline of October 2017.
Thank you for your support on this unique and truly remarkable Project.
-Phil 'Windebieste' Wlodarczyk
HIDEOUS PLASTIC, 2016 © All images and text by Phil 'Windebieste' Wlodarczyk unless otherwise noted. 'HIDEOUS PLASTIC - In stores everyone can hear you scream' is currently not authorised, associated, licenced or endorsed by Twentieth Century Fox, Gentle Giant, Super 7 or their affiliates. ALIEN is a registered trademark of Twentieth Century Fox. Content is subject to change or revision without notice.
Support this project
- All gone!