Hi! My name is Fiona Jallings, I’m a linguist, and I run the website Realelvish.net, which provides free, unique names for your characters and phrasebooks for your gaming in Tolkien’s languages. I’ve also been teaching Elvish lessons, specifically Neo-Sindarin, since 2007. I want to make a free beginner’s class that has all the latest theories and can be used as a free quick reference tool. In fact, I already have a lot of the work done. I have the lessons all written, they’re just waiting on the last stage of editing and the addition of online quizzes. You can view the free class here: Gelio Edhellen! 100 and you can read the complete text here, without its frills: Rough Draft. But, I need your help to get the last leg of this project complete.
The stretch goals are for the free-content projects that I do the rest of the year. I did a poll: Choose the Projects I Work on for the Next Year and the free Neo-Sindarin lessons won easily, but there were several runner’s up. I calculated how much time each project would take if I didn’t have a part-time job competing for my attention. Here are the rest of the projects I’d like to complete in the coming year, with your help.
- Free Neo-Quenya course added to the Realelvish Academy. The course text is by my friend Tamas Ferencz, and I will be writing the quizzes and making the webpages. (3 months, must reach $4800)
- Updates to the Quenya Phrasebook to make it easier to browse and account for recent developments in Neo-Quenya grammar. (1 month, must reach $6000)
- Updates to the Sindarin phrasebook to account for recent developments in Neo-Sindarin grammar. (0.5 months, must reach $6600)
- Add a Dwarvish Phrasebook. The translations were done by the Dwarrow Scholar, and we’d planned to release it before The Hobbit, but we didn’t get around to it. I have the raw data, but it needs to be reformatted to be compatible with my phrasebook databases. (2 months, must reach $9000)
- Add a list of common English first names translated into Sindarin and Quenya. (1.5 months, must reach $10,800)
- Make the name databases able to be browsed by the name elements like the old name lists were. This will be done with a friend, AngelFlesh, who knows PHP and mySQL. (1 month, must reach $12,000)
- Finish adding the names from The Silmarillion to the Book Names database. I’m about half way through writing the entries for this database, just need to be able to focus on it. (2 months, must reach $14,400)
And that’s the next 12 months planned out!
Again, I’m only asking for funding to work on free content on my website. This is content that is very useful to our community, but it takes a lot of time and labor to make it available to the world. I want it to stay free, so you donating here helps Tolkien-nerds everywhere.
Risks and challenges
The problem is time. Either I get a part time job and this project takes another 6 months to complete, or I feed myself with your helpful donations and this project gets done in a month. Thus, I’m asking for what isn’t really a living wage for a month, but enough to supplement my wife’s earnings so we can loosen our belts.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)