Wow, We made it! The short will be happening. Stretch goals, anyone?
Five hundred years ago...
a group of seven god-like entities ruled the world, breaking down what came before and rebuilding it to their own desires. This First Rule of the Seven lasted for three hundred years, until eventually mankind took back the world. After the purge, the gods lay dead, as did their children, and their children's children, or so was thought. A few of the offspring survived, and passed the blood and power of the deities, diluted as it may be, to new generations of Manifests.
After an awful witch hunt, spanning generations, peace had settled. But for the wishes of one man, Eindain, it may have stayed. Sadly we will never know.
So begins Our Tale.
The Shards of Divinity started when a group of six improv trained actors, working at a Renaissance Faire, played a tabletop RPG during their spare time. Over the past year and a half, it has built to the point of having a life of its own.
It grew past the game, to a story, to a short, then an abandoned webseries, and now finally a feature film. We have the talent, we have the designs. We need proof of concept. We are making a 5 minute short in order to shop our feature to the producers who have shown interest.
So we are turning to Kickstarter for help.
There is a lot of both established and up and coming talent at work on this project. Here listed are some of those people, and links to their other work.
- Stehpanie Ward- Moira Arthiden. An excellent actress and Cosplayer. Her site is here: www.facebook.com/StephanieReneWard
- Joseph Petrolowicz- Brennan Yates. Actor and part of the duo known as Honour for Hyre. www.facebook.com/HonourForHyre
- Justin Kirck- William Ackerly. That's me. www.jakirck.com
- Holly Hansen- Aelis Woodburn. Intelligent, talented, wonderful human being.
- Silas Holtz- Gain Stonefield. A professional jouster and actor. We are lucky to have him
- Michael Gilbert-Isock Lyer
- Megan Elizabeth Gaber- Eleanor Yates. Wonderfully talented. www.megangaber.com
- Costumes- Katie Olwell. Her work speaks for itself. janomieo.wix.com/katie-olwell
- All photography credit John Michael Decker, copyright 2013
- Props- Motive Power Jewelry. www.facebook.com/MotivePowerJewelry
- We have also partnered with The Kult of Athena-www.kultofathena.com/
What We Have Already Done-
Over the last 16 months, we have designed each of our characters in exacting detail. Stitchers, armorers, blacksmiths and leather workers have all been tapped to produce costuming and props that felt lived in. Arrows have been fletched, spears made. Shields built. We have grown from a doodle on an errant sheet of paper to custom built gowns and doublets. Countless hours have been spent at museums and online viewing original armors. Shirts of chainmail are painstakingly being made by hand, link by link. Basements have been turned into tanneries, much to the dismay of our significant others.
A feature length script has been written. A short trailer script has been written. The cast for the trailer is set. Our actors have been trained in everything from pipe playing to archery. Locations have been found. We have even pursued an extremely talented composer, Linda Peralte, to produce some period-appropriate music for us.
So with all of that in mind, what will we use the money for? Glad you asked.
First and foremost, we can never have enough props and costumes. As much work as we have put in, for every single thing we have made, there are a half dozen items we haven't. I want the movie to be as visually stunning as it is well written. Secondly, location rentals and set building. It is terribly hard to maintain the fantasy air with car horns blaring in the background and powerlines overhead. Lastly, actor and production crew. So often shorts don't compensate their actors. I think that is nonsense. "Exposure" is not adequate remuneration. We will never use unpaid interns to do our work, ever. And that goes for actors as well as tech.
How does this work?
Very simply, Kickstarter is an all or nothing gamble. You, our fans, pledge a certain amount of money towards our goal. If we do not reach our goal, no one will be charged a penny. If we do, at the end of the campaign, the money pledged will be transferred into our account, and we will begin the process of making our short. I am so positive of my project, that I am willing to take that all or nothing chance. Thank you in advance for assisting us with our dream.
We are not asking for blind devotion. We are more than happy to reward your assistance to our project. You can see what we have to offer along the side bar, but please allow me to pick up the high points.
- Posters- High quality 11x17 posters of your favorite character, or a 24x36 official Shards of Divinity movie poster.
- T-shirts- Show your allegiance with your very own t-shirt, identical as those given to the cast and crew. Heck, wear one and raid our craft services if you want.
- Lessons- Your choice of an historical fencing (German longsword or Scottish broadsword) or Archery lesson. If you live in the greater NYC area, this is an amazing opportunity to learn a new skill.
- DVDs and Digital downloads- Anyone who donates $5 or more will get a key to download our short, free of charge. Simple as that. At the $30 level, you will also receive the DVD, which will contain our blooper reel. It will most likely be extensive.
- Executive Producer Credit- Just as it says. Be listed as an executive producer both in our credits and on our IMDb site.
This is a handful of what we have available. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
Never let it be said that I am not ambitious. While $5,500 is the bare minimum we need to make this short a reality, more is always better.
- $ 7,500- We will extend the short to 10 minutes, and include an intense battle scene between our heroes and the men of Eindain.
- $ 9,000+- For each $1500 we raise past $7500, we will add a short 3 to 4 minute character-centric story detailing the path so far of each of our main characters. In order, it would be William, Aelis, Gain, Brennan, Isock, and Moira. These would be available on our DVD, and online, published on our youtube channel.
- Everything over that (over $16,500) would be put towards funding our feature.
We have our Facebook fan site, which as of the writing of this had 667 likes- https://www.facebook.com/TheShardsOfDivinity
We also have our brand new website-www.theshardsofdivinity.com It has more pictures, more info, and more ways of helping us. Take a look around!
And, once again, allow me to say to everyone who has made it this far,
Remember the gods, fear their children.
Risks and challenges
Firstly, organizing a shoot is a nightmare in scheduling. Tentative shoot dates are set for the middle of March, 2014, but all of our actors are very busy people. There is a leeway of about a month in time for shooting which may cause a delay, however that is the absolute worst case scenario.
A second issue may be that of copyright. We are using things (Music, script, images, designs) created for us exclusively, and double checking those which are not. We will not fall into the trap of copyright infringement.
Lastly, the filming itself. We have a wonderful Director of Photography lined up, an excellent editor, and our producer (that would be me) is a whiz at getting shoots organized, conventionally or otherwise. We WILL get this done.
If you have any reservations, please contact us before donating. Thank you!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)