About this project
Galaxy Incorporated is an epic space fantasy roleplaying game set in a far-future utopia, and the human race has expanded throughout the galaxy. Mega-Corporations run the galaxy with the help of worldwide Artificial Intelligence systems. These AI systems oversee the needs for every corporate citizen. Local AI systems carefully monitor corporate citizens and link to a world AI to help the bureaucrats balance all resources for everyone. Famine and disease are things of the past. Everything a citizen could ever need or want is provided for.
Player characters are part of a spaceship crew looking for a way to survive in a galaxy run by these interplanetary Mega-Corporations..
During the Great War, nanites were released that changed humanity. The Nanites ravaged the human-settled worlds for over 250 years, infecting people and technology alike. Within a few short months, the nanites wiped out 85% of the human race. Entire planets were lost or destroyed; others were made unlivable.
People learned to adapt and overcome. Nanotech became the basis of all technology; super-science and magic are an everyday part of life. Super AI computers run the worlds from behind the scenes and are slowly taking over.
Corporations quickly filled the gaps left by failed governments. Soon the corporations were the only salvation for the human race.
Corporate Law was put into place after the fallout of this Great War. Corporations were given control over the governmental bodies. From there, the corporations were able to help the people grow and return to the great spacefaring race that it was before the war. The Mega-Corporations have maintained the peace for over 2000 years.
Galaxy Incorporated uses a unique gaming system. A simple challenge resolution system means a faster game play system. You can resolve combat and other skill checks in very little time with a simple opposed die roll.
Power-ups and power-downs
The rules system incorporates varying degrees of success or failure, allowing for more than simple pass-fail results.
- The dice system standardizes on d8s with a power-up and power-down mechanic.
- A power-up is any advantage that a character may have in the course of completing a task, and is represented by upgrading a d8 to a d10.
- A power-down is any disadvantage and downgrades a d8 to a d6.
- Power-ups and power-downs cancel each other out, so an advantage due to knowledge may offset a disadvantage due to positioning, leaving the d8 unmodified.
In Galaxy Incorporated we have 3 Core Attributes and 6 Derived Abilities.
The 3 Core attributes are Body, Mind, and Spirit, and their score controls how many dice you are allowed to "keep" after rolling a skill challenge.
Each Core Attribute is broken down into 2 Derived Abilities. These Abilities are used to determine the amount of influence that characters can extend to any given task. This is done by setting the number of dice that are used in a skill challenge.
Body: The physical power and control of the character.
- Brawn: Physical Strength and Mass
- Coordination: Physical hand eye coordination
Mind: The ability to recall data and use facts
- Reasoning: The ability to learn or puzzle through a riddle.
- Intellect: The mind's ability to react to situations.
Spirit: The will and psychic power of your character
- Will: This is the mental strength and wisdom. Common Sense.
- Power: Magical aptitude.
A character's Reaction Pool is the sum of their Coordination, Intellect, and Will, dived by 2 . This is the measure of how fast a character can react, including dodging or deflecting an incoming attack.
Reaction pool is spent on 2 things, Initiative and defense.
- Initiative – Points are spent to go faster in the round.
- Defense – Points are spent to buy down damage in combat.
A Skill challenge is any obstacle that a character needs to overcome, whether it is combat, opening a locked door, hacking a computer, or even social encounters.
All Skill Challenges are resolved in the same way. Add the Derived Ability that the skill uses as well as the skill ranks being used. This will be your Dice Pool.
- Derived Ability dice + Skill dice = Dice Pool.
Here’s the thing: The principal writing of Galaxy Incorporated is mostly complete and will be available to backers for review feedback once the Kickstarter has successfully funded. That means we have done a lot of the heavy lifting already. We are still writing and creating content to provide a rich history and game setting. We have been writing and play-testing for over a year, running games at local (and a few not-so-local) game stores. We still need to write some of the background about the corporations and the galaxy itself, but the game mechanics are mostly complete and already in a very playable state.
We are still working on the artwork, some of which you can see throughout this Kickstarter. But we need more. Proper art is critical to setting the “look and feel” of any game setting. We have added some very talented artists including:
- Bradley K. McDevitt (profile). We have already commissioned 15 pieces of new art from Bradley and are looking to get at least 15 more art pieces.
- Eloy Lasanta (profile). Eloy is designing the page layout for Galaxy Incorporated.
We're lucky enough to have some top-tier talented artists willing to work with us, and we want to compensate them fairly for their outstanding work.
- $2200 Galaxy Incorporated Known Space Map. Simon Crowley will do a map for us. You saw the links to his work. They are awesome!
- $2500 – Expanded Planet Selections – We will add 5000 word on planets and system creation. This will go hand and hand with additional system maps from Simon Crowley. I have talked to Simon about doing System Maps for the Book also. I would really like to see some system map to add to the book.
- $2,700 – Full Color Cover Art by Eric Lofgren
- $3,000 – Released Under the OGL: When this goal is reached we will commit to releasing Galaxy Incorporated RPG Core Rules under the Open Game License (OGL). This means that the game rules will be available for others to use in their own game creations!
- $4000 – 5 new System Maps and Resources for the systems. Featuring NPCs, Planets and Trade routes, Pirates and other things that go bump in the deep space. More Maps and System Art from Simon Crowley.
We are also working very hard to add art from local new artists to the game. We feel it is an independent game designer’s responsibility to help fresh artists just starting out in their artistic career gain exposure and experience in building their portfolio.
As things currently stand, we cannot afford to purchase enough artwork to bring this up to the quality that we think is necessary for an epic space fantasy setting of this caliber. The initial funding goal includes the costs for additional artwork, graphic design, editing, proofing, and assorted other miscellaneous fees.
But we don’t live in the utopian socialist world of Galaxy Incorporated, and all this costs real-world, modern-day money. That's one of the main reasons we need your help.
Breakdown of Expenses: We are looking at around 200 copies. Here is the line item breakdown of cost per Book. This itemized list is as good as I can possibly make it. Here is the exact breakdown of cost used to higher the artist, editor and layout artist. Also, as volume goes up, the per-unit cost goes down.
The total cost per book is $14.05
We want to produce the Core rulebook as a standalone game, which includes all the rules for character creation and gameplay, information about the game world, new star systems and Mega-Corps. The published rulebook will define the most significant corporations and their key NPC bureaucrats. Plots and adventure ideas are intermixed with the main story-driven game. With additional funding, we hope to have additional supplements and additional adventures.
- Galaxy Data Runner PDF - You get a copy of the Galaxy Incorporated PDF when it becomes available. Once funded, you will receive immediate access to the in progress draft of the Galaxy Incorporated. Then about every 3 month or so, you will get access to an updated PDF copy of the ruleset and adventure. And in exchange for helping us meet our goals, we'll add your name to the Galaxy Incorporated as a Backer.
- Corporate Citizen Play Tester + Book & PDF Bundle Early Backer Limited 25 - You get access to the Early Play Test Rules! You get a copy of Galaxy Incorporated in print. We will be releasing play test rules to every backer. But as a Corporate Citizen, You get to see those rules earlier and more often. You get to give us feedback on the rules and world creation. And we'll add your name to the Galaxy Incorporated credits page as a play tester.
- Corporate VP - Galaxy Incorporated Print + PDF Bundle - You get a copy of the Galaxy Incorporated PDF when it becomes available. You will also get a copy of the book in print. And we'll add your name to the Galaxy Incorporated credits page.
- Corporate CEO Galaxy Incorporated Signed Copy - A Signed Copy of the book in print. You will also get a copy Galaxy Incorporated PDF when it becomes available. There will be a very limited Run of Printed and Signed books. Your book will be Printed by print-on-demand through DrivethruRPG and delivered to the Authors. We will sign the book and ship it right out to you. And in exchange for helping us meet our goal, we'll also add your name to the Galaxy Incorporated credits page.
- Name a Corporate Officer - You get to name a Corporate officer. This will give you a chance to create your own power in the Galaxy Incorporated. The Non-Player Characters will be created based in your ideas and feedback. You will get to give direct feedback and support to the design team. We reserve final naming rights, but will work with you to ensure satisfaction.
- Name a Corporation and 2 Officers - You get to name a Corporation and 2 corporate officers. This will give you a chance to create your own power in the Galaxy, factions they control, and 2 Non-Player Characters will be created based in your ideas and feedback. You will get to give direct feedback and support to the design team. We reserve final naming rights, but will work with you to ensure satisfaction.. This will give you a great deal of influence in the Galaxy Incorporate worlds.
Our basic backer levels do not include physical copies of the print book we're producing. If you're just looking for the PDF versions of the books, then this section need not concern you. However, if you do want a printed copy, this part is VERY IMPORTANT.
Once the Kickstarter concludes, we will finish up the last few bits of development, including final artwork, integration of playtest feedback, and anything else that crops up. After the PDF of the book is sent out to backers, we will commission print-on-demand proofs through DriveThruRPG. The creative team will review the proofs, and once they meet our satisfaction, we will grant access to backers. (We plan to show images of the different printing and binding options as well.) At that time, backers who pledged for a physical copy of the book can visit DriveThruRPG.com to purchase the print copy of the book at varying levels of binding and printing quality. The printing cost will be roughly another $6 to $20 depending upon the quality level the backer desires. (MSRP for these books will be $15 - $35, depending upon binding and print quality.) An additional shipping cost is also incurred at this point; shipping costs are typically ~$5 for US backers, and range from ~$5 to ~$12 for international backers, depending upon the availability of local printing facilities. (There are print facilities in the US, the UK, and other countries.)
Neither the printing cost nor the shipping cost is included in the amount pledged as part of this Kickstarter campaign, and you are responsible for paying DriveThruRPG directly. When the book is done, all backers who pledged for a physical copy of the book will get a coupon for the print-on-demand copy at-cost (i.e., you are only paying material and distribution costs, and we do not receive additional profits from your purchase), then you pay DriveThruRPG the cost of the book + shipping and they will print (via Lightning Source) and ship to you directly. This allows us to dedicate 100% of backer money to the project, and we don't have to charge additional money upfront and increase the goal to cover the costs of printing and shipping. This project’s #1 goal is to finish the book.
Hi I'm Dan, I am very proud to be one of the Games designers and creator behind Galaxy Incorporated. I have spent over a year writing and updating the core rules and the games mechanics.I have played a lot of games over the years. But I always found that I keep re-writing parts of the games systems to fit what I need. That was when a friend said I should write my own game. So I did.
Hi, I'm Peter. I've been a game master for over a decade, creating original adventures in a wide range of RPGs for players to enjoy. Last year I wrote an adventure called Boiling Point for the Base Raiders RPG that was successfully Kickstarted. It was published in both print and PDF this year.
Between Peter and I we have have over 40 years of combined gaming experience and 2 Published Gaming products.
Risks and challenges
Our challenge lies in the ability to raise the funds needed to cover the initial costs of the project; specifically, the artists, editors, and layout designers.
Once funded, our risk is low as we have most of the rules written. This Kickstarter is to fund the cost of making the game accessible to everyone. By hitting the lowest level of funding, we can secure an editor and black and white artwork. At higher goals, we can commission higher quality art from guest artists (TBD).
With the principal writing and editing on the Galaxy Incorporated mostly complete, a large amount of the risk has been eliminated. However, bonus goals added to this project as a result of stretch goals might delay delivery. We believe in full transparency and will do our best to communicate every progression and delay in development. We take our commitment to fulfill our stated goals on time and within our budget very seriously.
Support this project
- (30 days)