About Nordic Shawls
My name is Karen and I am an indie knitting designer who lives in Copenhagen, Denmark.
A year ago I published my very first knitting book in Danish - a book with shawl patterns inspired by the wild Nordic nature and the stories of the creatures that live there, called Sjaler Nordfra (litteral translation: Shawls from the North).
The Danish version of the book has been a success, and in the course of the last year I have had quite a few requests from non Danish knitters, for the book to become available in English.
I would love to make that happen, so let me present:
Nordic Shawls will be an English version of the existing Danish book and will contain:
- 18 shawl designs - shown here below, as well as on Rauna's website.
- Thorough and clearly written knitting patterns, as well as charts for some of the designs.
- Beautiful photos by photographer Monica Bach, shot just north of Oslo in Norway.
- Hand-drawn watercolor illustrations of each design created by Signe Strømgaard.
- A techniques chapter that guides you through all of the less common techniques.
- A hardcover finish to the book.
What’s the Plan?
The original Danish book was created in collaboration with Signe Strømgaard and published by her little indie knitting company Rauna. This campaign is also a collaboration between me and Signe, and if we reach our goal, Rauna will also be publishing Nordic Shawls.
The goal for this Kickstarter campaign is the minimum number of books we need to print for it to make just a little financial sense. To make it fun and interesting we have created different levels of support with the kinds of extras that we ourselves enjoy when backing projects.
All of the patterns from Sjaler Nordfra have already been translated into English by me, Karen, and tech edited by Signe. The layout of the English version of the book is 90% complete at the moment of writing this. When this campaign is finished, the book will be completely print ready, so there will be very little waiting time before you receive your book and can cast on for the first beautiful shawl.
Rauna will handle the shipping for all the orders - as it has for the Danish book. The shipping cost depends on where you are.
- Shipping to Denmark - DKK 50.
- Shipping to Sweden - DKK 55.
- Shipping to Europe - DKK 75.
- Shipping to the rest of the world - DKK 95.
The shipping cost will be added to your total after you have chosen your reward level.
Backers have the possibility to not only get the hardcover English version of the book, but also to select rewards. Here is a list of the available rewards:
- GOSSAMER - Nordic Shawls ebook - DKK 150.
- LACEWEIGHT - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook - DKK 225.
- LIGHT FINGERING - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed bookplate - DKK 260.
- SPORT - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + exclusive shawl pattern - DKK 270.
- DK - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed bookplate + exclusive shawl pattern - DKK 300.
- WORSTED - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + kit (yarn & project bag) for the Dottir shawl - DKK 325.
- ARAN - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + kit (yarn & project bag) for the Eiri shawl - DKK 375.
- BULKY (Dottir) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + kit (yarn + project bag) for the Dottir shawl + signed bookplate + exclusive shawl pattern - DKK 385.
- BULKY (Eiri) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + kit (yarn + project bag) for the Eiri shawl + signed bookplate + exclusive shawl pattern - DKK 410.
- SUPER BULKY (Dottir) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed book plate + exclusive shawl pattern + original watercolour sketch (Dottir) from the book - DKK 500.
- SUPER BULKY (Elle) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed book plate + exclusive shawl pattern + original Elle watercolour sketch from the book - DKK 500.
- SUPER BULKY (Norne) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed book plate + exclusive shawl pattern + original Norne watercolour sketch from the book - DKK 500.
- SUPER BULKY (Kópakonan) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed book plate + exclusive shawl pattern + original Kópakonan watercolour sketch from the book - DKK 500.
SUPER BULKY (Mara) - Hardcover Nordic Shawls + ebook + signed book plate + exclusive shawl pattern + original Mara watercolour sketch from the book - DKK 500.
Keep in mind that shipping is added to these prices.'
The Bookplate is a sticker-style bookplate that backers can stick in the book wherever they please. The bookplate features a printed illustration in the same style as the watercolour shetches in the book, created by Signe and signed by me, Karen.
The exclusive pattern is called Beivve and was designed for this collection, but cut from the book due to page constraints. The pattern will be sent as a printed pattern in the same layout as the book.
The yarn for Dottir is one skein of the lovely naturally dyed New Zealand lambswool from G-uld, which is also the original yarn for the shawl.
The yarn for Eiri is seven colours of the vibrant New Zealand lambswool from Filcolana in the same shades as the design in the book.
Both yarn kits come with a project bag especially designed and printed for this Kickstarter campaign by Signe.
The watercolour sketches are the original sketches for the wonderful illustrations in the book. All are hand drawn and painted by Signe and come mounted on cardboard.
As we have reached our goal of DKK 65,000, we are happy to tell you about the stretch goals.
The stretch goals are postcards with the beautiful illustrations drawn by Signe Strømgaard – the same illustrations as in the book. Each postcard will feature a separate design and the name of that design.
We will – unfortunately – only be able to send postcards to those of you who have pledged to receive a physical book.
We have set 3 stretch goals at the following levels:
- At DKK 75,000 every backer who has chosen a level with a physical book will receive a set of 4 postcards.
- At DKK 85,000 every backer who has chosen a level with a physical book will receive a further 4 postcards, i.e. 8 postcards.
- At DKK 100.000 every backer who has chosen a level with a physical book will receive a full set of 18 postcards – one for each shawl design in the book.
We really hope to be able to give you a set of beautiful postcards along with your book.
Risks and challenges
It is not easy to evaluate if creating an English version of Sjaler Nordfra (Nordic shawls) is a viable idea, so this is why me and my friend and publisher, Signe, had the idea of creating a Kickstarter campaign.
We have already published the Danish book with succes, and will use this Kickstarter campaign as a way for you out there to essentially pre-order the book and for us to get a clearer picture of the level of interest.
This campaign has deliberately been planned to minimize the risks and challenges we might face.
We have already translated and edited the book in English, which means the English version is print-ready as soon as the funding is secure.
We are getting the book printed at the same local printing company, who printed the Danish version. This means we can be assured of the same high quality of the finished product. Furthermore the company needed a couple of weeks to print the Danish version of the book and expects the same for this project.
Thus we will be able to begin packing and shipping the books and rewards very soon after the end of the campaign.
We have also collaborated with the yarn companies, whose yarn we'll use in the reward tiers - so we don't expect any delays in getting the kits together.
The main dark horse is the shipping as we cannot say how long the mail delivery will take.
However, we are confident that we'll see this Kickstarter through in a professional manner, and Signe and I promise to keep pledgers abreast of any problems or delays (if any such arise) and can be contacted directly through this Kickstarter's comments and messaging.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)