Harold Davis is the author of numerous bestselling photography books, the recipient of many photography awards, and a Moab Printmaking Master.
Harold's awards include:
- North American Nature Photographer Association (NANPA) Showcase awards in three consecutive years
- NANPA Judge's Choice award
- International Aperture Awards (two years)
- World Gala Storytelling Award
Here's what photographic publications have said about Harold Davis and his work:
- According to Popular Photography Magazine, “Harold Davis’ ethereal floral arrangements have a purity and translucence that borders on spiritual.”
- PhotoFidelity states that “Harold Davis’s Creative Photography series is a great way to start a photography library.”
- Rangefinder Magazine calls Harold "a man of astonishing eclectic skills and accomplishments."
This is amazing! Thank you, thank you! This Kickstarter was funded in less than 24 hours! Because of all the excitement around the Monochromatic Visions portfolio Kickstarter, I’ve added a dream “stretch goal”---please see below!
Monochromatic Visions is a highly collectible, limited edition portfolio of twelve prints by master photographer Harold Davis. The carefully curated prints in this collection have been printed by hand in the Harold Davis studio on Moab Slickrock. Each print is hand signed in acid-free ink and hand-inscribed with the image’s title.
The Monochromatic Visions prints are presented in a handsome portfolio box with informational inserts including a vellum overlay and image data. The portfolio box presentation includes a book plate, with editioning information and the hand signature of the artist.
We are happy to ship rewards outside the United States. Please see the FAQ for instructions on how to add shipping costs for outside the US.
The Monochromatic Visions portfolio presentation is strictly limited to twelve numbered copies, plus three artist proofs. Here are the twelve images in the portfolio:
The photographs in Monochromatic Visions were created using high-dynamic range (HDR) techniques that will be explained in Harold Davis's forthcoming book Monochromatic HDR Photography from Focal Press. This process involves sequential multiple digital RAW exposures, or a single RAW exposure processed multiple times. The blended exposures or processes are then rendered into a single color master file. The final color version of the image is then remastered to monochrome, using innovative layering and processing techniques invented by Harold Davis.
Stretch Goal: $10,000
Send Harold on a photographic pilgrimage to create a unique portfolio of old Japan!
If the Monochromatic Visions Kickstarter raises $10,000, Harold, his creativity, his camera, and his tripod will take a pilgrimage to the temples of Kyoto, Japan, and on foot to the world heritage Kumano kodo (old road of Japan).
The Kumano kodo is a network of trails leading south from Kyoto into the remote and mystical Kii Peninsula. This has been a route of pilgrimage for over 1,000 years, and includes a number of arduous trails, among them Nakahechi-do, Kohechi-do and Ohechi-do (these trails are known collectively as the Kumano kodo). Harold’s destinations will include the Grand Shrine of Hongu, and the Nachi Grand Shrine at the Pacific Ocean.
On his return from this photographic pilgrimage, Harold will create a portfolio of unique monochromatic images based on work photographed during his journey. This portfolio will be lovingly printed on traditional Japanese Kozo washi produced by a Japanese paper mill that has been in the same family for 700 years.
Harold says, “Thank you for supporting my work. I am so excited by the early funding of Monochromatic Visions. This stretch goal is a photographic journey that I’ve wanted to fulfill for many years. The opportunity of photographing rural Japan and some of Japan’s most sacred shrines would deepen my photographic life-journey and help me to reach further into my spiritual creativity. Thank you for supporting a living artist and for helping me to realize my artistic dreams!”
Harold Davis is a widely recognized master artist, and a leading contemporary photographer. His work is commissioned, collected and exhibited widely.
Harold Davis has been acknowledged as a Moab Master for his printmaking prowess. His work demonstrates that advances in the technology and craft of digital photography have created an entirely new medium that begins with photography and continues as digital art. This extraordinary imagery builds on the masterworks of the past while embracing revolutionary innovations in photography.
Botanical prints by Harold Davis are particularly sought after. As Popular Photography Magazine noted, "Harold Davis's ethereal floral arrangements have a purity and translucence that borders on the spiritual."
In this regard, it is worth pointing to Botanique, the limited edition artist book of Harold Davis botanical art that originated as a successful Kickstarter project. Here's what some collectors of Botanique have said about Botanique:
- “I didn’t open it until last night because I was really busy and wanted to take time to savor every page. It’s BEAUTIFUL! Thank you very much.”—S.M.
- “I had time today to sit down and slowly admire each and every page of your amazing book. It is absolutely gorgeous…a true collector’s item…and is a reflection of the beauty and light within you both. I’m honored to be one of the people who has the privilege to own this book and will treasure it always.”—B.A.
- ”Arrived home from France this evening to find my copy of Botanique waiting for me . . . the book and accompanying prints are indescribably beautiful.”—B.G.
- “All I can say is WOW. What a magnificent piece of work this is. It seems that each time I turn the pages I find something different and unique to look at in each of the flowers.What a masterpiece. My words cannot do it justice.I am proud to own this exquisite artwork.”—I.H.
We believe that Monochromatic Visions may well be as highly sought after as Botanique, with at least comparable increase in price following the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign.
Harold Davis is the author of more than 30 books, including Creating HDR Photos: The Complete Guide to High Dynamic Range Photography, Photographing Flowers: Exploring Macro Worlds with Harold Davis (Focal Press), The Photoshop Darkroom 2: Creative Digital Transformations (Focal Press), and The Photoshop Darkroom: Creative Digital Post-Processing (Focal Press).
Harold is the author of the Creative Photography series from Wiley Publishing.
“Harold Davis’s Creative Photography series is a great way to start a photography library”—Daniel Fealko, PhotoFidelity.
Visit the Harold Davis author page on Amazon.
Risks and challenges
We take tremendous care with each and every print that comes out of the Harold Davis studio. If we have to reprint an image twenty times before we are satisfied with it, we will. When it comes to our prints, we are a perfectionists. Digital printing isn't just a matter of clicking a button and watching a print spew out--it is a hand craft that requires a great deal of skill, care, and attention. So creating the Monochromatic Visions portfolios will be a true labor of love.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)