About this project
A non-locking blade is now available see latest update.
After a year of designing and prototype revisions, we've perfected the ultimate key holder and knife / tool in one- the Mini Q key organizer is finally here! This was a very detailed engineering process, all the way down to the tiniest of measurements to keep it not only compact but to make it the strongest that it can be. The goal was to create a compact rugged product with a refined touch.
Let me tell you how well built it is…the different Mini Q bodies are made of:
• Aircraft grade Aluminum (strong light 50 grams or 1.7 oz.)
• High quality Brass (118 grams or 4.16 oz. recommended to use with 4 keys only)
• Grade 5 Titanium (78 grams or 2.7 oz. very strong and lightweight)
The finishes are smooth satin, brushed, and bead blasted that have turned out beautifully…
How Is it Built?
A one of a kind unique pivot post and lever has been designed to withstand long time use. The clip is made small with a deep pocket loop to ride comfortably in your pocket. The posts are made from hard stainless steel to ensure no wear and tear on the threads and post.
With just the right amount of radius added to the outer corners for comfort and feel, the lower notch is also the optimal size for placing your index finger for good grip while using the blades. The notches on the backside are shaped for popping out the keys with flick of your thumb.
The blades are 2.35 inches long and made from hardened 420HC stainless steel. It is design to be interchanged without removing the keys and vice versa. The lever is a standard folding knife mechanism with an upgraded pivot and the blades flip out easily and locks securely in place. The blades are sharp and ready for use. (A non-locking version will be made available if we hit our stretch goal).
Each Mini Q key organizer comes with one blade of your choice.
• Drop point blade
• Bottle opener knife blade
• Anteater utility blade ( 2 options - bottom sharp edge or bottom flat edge ) The Anteater Blade shown below has the bottom sharp edge. You can get this bottom section completely flat (no sharp edge) as an option.
In addition you can purchase more blades, just add $14.00 to your pledge for each additional blade. You will have the opportunity to note which blade or blades you want in the ending survey.
Each stainless steel blade has a satin finish.
The Mini Q key organizer can also be used entirely without the blades.
The Mini Q is designed with custom manufacturing without cutting any corners.
• Hardened stainless steel and grade 5 titanium.
• Aluminum models are machined out of aircraft grade aluminum which is lightweight, yet strong.
• The quality is first rate with every detail meticulously machined.
• Stainless steel machine posts and screws allow a lifetime of use.
• Allen heads used simply to look better and add more torque and won’t strip. Each screw head will have a rubber washer and nylon thread coating to prevent loosening.
• Stainless steel lever mechanism is designed to withstand normal wear and tear.
• Mini Q is made for daily use. Easy to change out any keys and blades can be changed as well.
• It will hold keys with a hole diameter greater than 4.3 mm and length up to 63 mm.
Example of a 3 key set up with no clip.
Example of a 8 key set up with clip.
• Extremely durable with a rust proof blade that is highly resistant to dulling and can hold an edge.
• Built to last - It has been tested, dropped, kicked and smashed - you can be 100% confident that your Mini Q can take a few punches.
• Small, compact and ultra-light.
• You won’t notice the Mini Q riding in your pocket, rack sack or bag.
• Rounded corners to ensure comfort and no wear on pockets.
• If you choose to use the clip - it's small with a deep pocket design to ride securely in your pocket without being distracting.
• Stops the jingle of keys; consolidates into one compact unit.
• Slim locking blade.
• Easy interchangeable keys or blades.
• Clip or no clip, or tether it from the smart loop.
• Replaces your keychain with a productive tool.
• Use it to open boxes or anything that requires more effort than your fingers. Cut, pry, pop and tighten…lots of uses.
• Ideally holds up to 4 keys and up to 8 with extension posts.
• No more lugging a heavy pocket knife or any other cumbersome tool.
• Flip out the tool or blade for instant access in time of need. They are handy and may get more use than some of your keys. You will soon discover that it’s now an essential part of your everyday carry.
What does it include?
Comes with loop to attach to bigger Keys.
Here are some examples of finishes:
Brass brushed finish -
White powder coated aluminum -
Titanium brushed finish -
Titanium bead blasted finish -
Add a little color contrast to your Mini Q!
This stretch goal has been reached!
All backers now have the option of customizing your Mini Q with complimentary colored Hardware - Hardware includes :
- Knife blade thumbstud
- Key loop
- All screws
- Pocket clip
*Please choose only one color for all 4 of the above.
A non-locking blade is now available see latest update.
For Australia, UK, and the rest of Europe – this stretch goal was created just for you and anyone else who wants a non-locking blade.
A few things you must know before you opt for the non-locking blade. I will not have the new prototype for the non-locking blade completed before this campaign ends for you to see.
If you choose the non-locking version in the ending survey, you need to be aware of the following:
• It will not be available for delivery until September.
• It will only be available in titanium (brushed or bead blasted).
• The body will look identical to the locking version of the Mini Q – it will have a strong slipjoint mechanism instead.
*For those that want the locking version - the delivery date will still be August 2015.
I set out to design the best key organizer and pocket tool knife while consolidating my everyday carry with a great looking product. Everyone carries keys and everyone needs a knife or tool at one point. If you’re like me - you carry a tool, a pocketknife, and keys - the Mini Q has not only made your life easier but is a good looking piece as your everyday carry.
Risks and challenges
The funds raised from Kickstarter will allow me to create the Mini Q on a larger scale and offer it to the public at an affordable price. But I need your help to do it!
Everything needed to kick off the manufacturing process is complete. The design and prototyping is done and all materials are in place. It’s just a matter of giving the factory the green light once the project is complete and funded.
I have worked with my machinist and manufacturer for some time now and have built a strong working relationship. My manufacturer is ready to go and delivery date is set. I am working with a factory that specializes solely with this type of product and materials, so I do not expect any hiccups, but just in case, I have padded the delivery date by one month. Most likely they will arrive on your door step sooner than you hope.
I am excited to get the Mini Q in your hand so you can feel and experience the quality for yourself and streamline your everyday carry.
Thank you for your support,
The Mini Q is Trademarked with Patent Pending. Quiet Carry is Trademarked.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (33 days)