WELCOME TO THE MAD SCIENCE INSTITUTE KICKSTARTER!
My name is Sechin Tower, and I'm the author of MAD SCIENCE INSTITUTE, THE NON-ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE, and THREE WEEKS BEFORE DOOMSDAY. Some of you may know me well and have been waiting patiently for this new novel. Thank you for your kind words and your encouragement over the last year! I couldn't have finished it without you. For those of you who are new to this series, I hope I've provided all the information you need to get caught up.
GHOST STORM is now fully written and in the final stages of editing. My goal for this Kickstarter is to cover the printing costs of the book and the production costs of an audiobook for my first novel, MAD SCIENCE INSTITUTE. Any extra funds will go toward producing the other items on this page.
GHOST STORM: the all-new, epic conclusion to the series!
Still devastated by the death of his fiancé, Dean Lazarchek stumbles upon an ancient technology with the incredible power to recreate a living mind. To resurrect the woman he loves, he must confront bullet-proof thugs, dogfight in hyper-advanced gunships, and battle an old college rival who now commands the fury of nature itself. Even if he succeeds, he has no way to know if he will bring back his lost love... or an alien entity that wears her face as a disguise.
MAD SCIENCE INSTITUTE audio book: discover the adventure or live it again!
The hit first novel of the series introduces Sophia “Soap” Lazarcheck, a girl genius whose robots have a bad habit of exploding. After joining a secret university institute, Soap is drawn into a conspiracy more than a century in the making. Meanwhile, her cousin Dean wages a two-fisted war of vengeance against a villainous genius and his unwashed minions. The cousins must pit themselves against murderous thugs, experimental weaponry, mutant reptiles, and a nefarious doomsday device set to bring civilization to a sudden and very messy end.
Why I need your support
By backing this project, you are making possible two new products: GHOST STORM, the third and final novel in this series, as well as an unabridged audiobook version of the original novel, MAD SCIENCE INSTITUTE. Printing a paperback is relatively cheap these days, but there are still production costs such as editing, cover design, and layout. The audiobook will be even more expensive to produce—while there are many ways to create a recording for little or no money, I think listeners deserve more. I intend to use high quality sound equipment, hire talented voice artists, and carefully edit a crisp, clean final product. All this adds up to a sizeable expense. Unless this Kickstarter hits several stretch goals, I expect to supplement the costs of the audiobook production out of my own pocket. In the unlikely event that this campaign is a runaway success, I may be able to record the next novel or two in the series and offer them as add-ons here.
Short stories included so far (more will come with stretch goals!):
- "ANGELA'S BIG BREAK." Angela isn't adjusting well to prison, and she's going to make sure everyone else pays the price.
- "AROUND THE CAMPUS IN 80 SECONDS." Soap, Speed, and Lloyd Prescott test their technologies at breakneck speeds.
- Read an excerpt featuring the punk rock audiophile (currently named "Collin Rosenblat") and the abrasive psychology student (currently named Janet Cho)
- Read an excerpt featuring "Speed"
- Read an excerpt featuring the classics professor (furrently named Heidi Bjelland)
Ebooks (including stretch-goal short-stories): Download your choice of format for any major type of e-reader. (Format options: .epub, .azw3, .mobi, .pdf)
Paperbacks: All paperbacks will be signed and personalized by the author. Books include: MAD SCIENCE INSTITUTE (300 pages), THE NON-ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE (310 pages), GHOST STORM (estimated: 310 pages), THREE WEEKS BEFORE DOOMSDAY limited edition short story anthology (55 pages).
Audiobook: Digital download on mp3. Upgrade to CDs for $15 more.
Silkscreen T-Shirts: High quality logo on cotton/polyester blend will stand up to many washes. Sizes: S, M, L, XL, 2X, 4X
Animated Light-Up Shirts:
- Tesla Coil image designed by yours truly (Mad Science Institute logo may be added as a stretch-goal)Your choice: animated or sound-reactive
- Unique design: not available anywhere else!
- Runs on AA batteries (just be sure to remove the batteries before washing!)
- Sizes: XXS, XS, S, M, L, XL; 2X + $2.00; 3X + $3.00; 4X + $4.00; 5X + $5.00. (sizes run a little small)
Hazard Symbol Lapel Pins
- Choose color: blue, red, orange, purple, dark green, yellow, black. (More color options may be added as stretch-goals.)
- Choose design: TRIANGULAR: poison (skull & crossbones), flammable, high voltage, chemical, falling hazard, radioactive. ROUND: radioactive, high voltage.
Whenever we hit stretch-goals for total backer numbers, all backers will get to vote for one additional short story eBook. (All backers will receive all short stories regardless of when they backed the campaign.)
Short stories included so far:
"ANGELA'S BIG BREAK." Angela isn't adjusting well to prison, and she's going to make sure everyone else pays the price.
"AROUND THE CAMPUS IN 80 SECONDS." Soap, Speed, and Lloyd Prescott test their technologies at breakneck speeds.
The first 60 backers get to vote for one of these options:
- "SMASH AND GRAB." Brick is cold, tired, and grumpy. All he has to do is kidnap some old people and smash up their house before he can go home.
- "THE SMILE QUOTIENT." The punk rock audio engineer teams up with the classics professor to try to sabotage Rat Girl's psychology experiment.
- "THE MEMORY PIT." Choop finds a predecessor and learns the startling history of his own species.
- Locked until 80 backers reached! "THE FOUNDERS." In 1907, Mark Twain and Nikola Tesla hatch a scheme to found the Mechanical Science Institute.
- Locked until 100 backers reached! "SIGNED IN BLOOD." A young Professor Helmholtz meets a progenitor for the first time and strikes a bargain to change the world.
- Locked until 120 backers reached! "SHOOTER IN THE BELL TOWER." An assassin gets more than he bargained for when he comes to Langdon University and encounters Nikki.
Risks and challenges
The audio book. That’s the big risk for this project because I’ve never made one before. However, I’m not going into this blind: I’ve contacted numerous recording studios, narrators, and writers who have done this before and with their help I have developed a clear sense of the process, its costs, and its procedures. Even though I have formulated a detailed plan, there may be unexpected complications—there often are, especially when charting new territory—but I have some very knowledgeable advisors to help make sure the final product meets the highest standards or quality and is delivered to backers on time.
Regarding the novel, I am on much more familiar ground as I have produced several other books. For my last Kickstarter, I delivered all orders on or ahead of schedule, and I intend to do the same here. GHOST STORM is now fully written and in the final stages of editing, so even a major disruption would be unlikely to prevent delivery.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)