About this project
What if all our stuff ended up in our watersheds and on our beaches? It already has, so we're creating a smart solution to this problem, and we need your help to bring it to North America and beyond.
Imagine a new application for your smart phone and browser that connects you and your stuff to a new life. Type in any item you're done with, and choose its next life. The new CORA app will enable you to find neighbors who need your stuff, and businesses that want it (and may even pay you for it).
You'll find practical and entertaining ways to avoid buying things that aren't easily reused, and DIY upcycling options for your stuff that range from fast-and-easy to weekend projects involving power tools.
If all you want to do is toss your item into a recycling bin, you'll find accurate and up-to-date information about what goes where in your local recycling bins, and where to send things that aren't accepted in your neighborhood.
We believe that if there's something you need, chances are it's already hidden in your stuff, or your neighbor has it. Our easy-to-use mobile app will be the hub that renews our stuff and our connections to each other. App walkthrough here with screenshots.
We've been bootstrapping until now, but need Kickstarter community funds to populate this massive database of both new and existing ways to divert trash from landfills and our waterways. Our database of original and hard-to-find content includes broadcast quality video, stills, tutorials, and interactive educational material.
Our Kickstarter campaign will allow us to not only create the mobile app across multiple platforms, but spread it fast to your city! Given that the app heavily leverages crowdsourcing to populate and vet the myriad options for landfill diversion, a crowdsource approach to funding seems a natural fit.
HOW IT WORKS
We've been working hard on a massive database that will allow our app to connect you to solutions to renew your stuff. What you'll find will depend on what you want to do with your stuff:
- Want to pass your item on to someone else who's ready to upcycle it? We'll connect you with artisans, individuals, and businesses who work with what you have.
- Want to be a local hero or pay it forward further away? We'll connect you with people who need what you have.
- Want to give your item to a neighbor? We'll connect you with people in your area who want what you have.
- Want to get your DIY geek on and transform your item into something new and useful? We'll connect you with inspiration and how-to details.
- Want to share your DIY innovations and tips for a life less wasteful? We'll connect you with an audience that appreciates and needs your wisdom.
- Want to sell your item to someone who will pay for it? We'll connect you with ways to turn your item into cash or credit in your pocket.
- Want to receive your neighbors' used stuff for your projects or business? We'll connect you with our community to get the word out.
- Want to move towards "Zero Waste" living and reduce your use of this item in the future? We'll connect you with practical, environmentally-friendly, and entertaining alternatives.
- Want to simply toss your item into the nearest recycling bin? We'll tell you exactly where that is, and clear up the confusion about what goes where.
- Just want to throw your item away? We'll tell you where “away” is, and what path your stuff will take to get there.
Stop by our blog at www.teamcora.com to follow the progress of our mobile app. Join the conversation and discover new ideas to help you reduce, reuse, gift, repurpose or recycle your everyday stuff. Please help us bring this solution to North America and beyond!
Great question! Because we plan to give it away for free to encourage massive use.
Yes! Our entire database will be searchable through our website.
You bet - It will be a true mobile app, so any device with a browser will be able to use it beautifully.
Yes! Our first stop outside the US will be Canada; we hope to get a start on that by the end of this calendar year. After that, we're very open to suggestions from our user base. And a lot of our content will be useful to people around the world right from day one - Our curated solutions to help users refuse, reduce, and repurpose their stuff are entertaining and fully functional wherever you live.
One of our favorite questions! Please see our app walkthrough on our website for a detailed answer: http://teamcora.com/about/app/
There's a great organization in my area that needs donations of certain items. Can you add them to your database?
You bet! Please send the details to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll make sure they're in there. This is a great example of crowdsourced data coming directly from caring citizens - When our beta launches, you'll be able to input this sort of information directly to our database.
I'm looking for certain used items for my own projects. Will you list me in your database so people can give me their stuff?an
We'd love to include you. Send us the details at email@example.com and we'll add you to our database.
My small business repurposes used items in our products. Can we be listed as a resource in your database so people can give us their stuff?
Definitely! We'd love to add your business to our database - Send your information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll make sure you're in there.
We'd love to discuss how we can do great things together! Please send us a note at email@example.com and we'll get right back to you.
Support this project
- (45 days)