This project's funding goal was not reached on February 26, 2012.
About this project
Check out our new-and-improved Kickstarter project here based on what the KS community has taught us the past few weeks: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/464119894/your-mobile-app-for-a-lower-impact-life-reuse-and.
We've learned that you all love the Zero Waste thinking from our eco-app company, but think our attempt to raise so many months of operating expenses is a bit bonkers. We hear you!
For those of you who have already backed us on this project, please consider rolling your commitment over to our more realistic Plan B that will still fund a fully functional prototype of our app; this is our first major step towards bringing our app to market.
We appreciate your support and help building this eco-app to benefit everyone!
What if all our stuff ended up in our watersheds and on our beaches? It already has, so we're creating a smart solution to this problem, and we need your help to bring it to North America and beyond.
Imagine a new application for your smart phone and browser that connects you and your stuff to a new life. Type in any item you're done with, and choose its next life. Our app will enable you to find neighbors who need your stuff, and businesses that want it (and may even pay you for it).
You'll find practical and entertaining ways to avoid buying things that aren't easily reused, and DIY upcycling options for your stuff that range from fast-and-easy to weekend projects involving power tools.
If all you want to do is toss your item into a recycling bin, you'll find accurate and up-to-date information about what goes where in your local recycling bins, and where to send things that aren't accepted in your neighborhood.
We believe that if there's something you need, chances are it's already hidden in your stuff, or your neighbor has it. Our easy-to-use mobile app will be the hub that renews our stuff and our connections to each other. App walkthrough here with screenshots.
We've been bootstrapping until now, but need Kickstarter community funds to populate this massive database of both new and existing ways to divert trash from landfills and our waterways. Our database of original and hard-to-find content includes broadcast quality video, stills, tutorials, and interactive educational material.
Our Kickstarter campaign will allow us to not only create the mobile app across multiple platforms, but spread it fast to your city! Given that the app heavily leverages crowdsourcing to populate and vet the myriad options for landfill diversion, a crowdsource approach to funding seems a natural fit.
HOW IT WORKS
We've been working hard on a massive database that will allow our app to connect you to solutions to renew your stuff. What you'll find will depend on what you want to do with your stuff:
- Want to pass your item on to someone else who's ready to upcycle it? We'll connect you with artisans, individuals, and businesses who work with what you have.
- Want to be a local hero or pay it forward further away? We'll connect you with people who need what you have.
- Want to give your item to a neighbor? We'll connect you with people in your area who want what you have.
- Want to get your DIY geek on and transform your item into something new and useful? We'll connect you with inspiration and how-to details.
- Want to share your DIY innovations and tips for a life less wasteful? We'll connect you with an audience that appreciates and needs your wisdom.
- Want to sell your item to someone who will pay for it? We'll connect you with ways to turn your item into cash or credit in your pocket.
- Want to receive your neighbors' used stuff for your projects or business? We'll connect you with our community to get the word out.
- Want to move towards "Zero Waste" living and reduce your use of this item in the future? We'll connect you with practical, environmentally-friendly, and entertaining alternatives.
- Want to simply toss your item into the nearest recycling bin? We'll tell you exactly where that is, and clear up the confusion about what goes where.
- Just want to throw your item away? We'll tell you where “away” is, and what path your stuff will take to get there.
Stop by our blog at www.teamcora.com to follow the progress of our mobile app. Join the conversation and discover new ideas to help you reduce, reuse, gift, repurpose or recycle your everyday stuff. Please help us bring this solution to North America and beyond!
I’m looking for materials for my home projects. Will you list me in your database so people can give me their used stuff?
We’d love to include you! Please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll get you into our database.
My small business recycles used items in our products. Can we be listed as a resource in your database?
Great! We’d love to add your business to our list of options for our collective stuff. Send a note to us at email@example.com and we’ll let you know what information we need.
We’d love to talk! Please send us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org - We’d love to discuss how we can do good things together.
You bet. It will be a true mobile app so any device with a browser will be able to use it beautifully.
Yes, our database will be searchable through our website.
Yes! Our first stop outside the US will be Canada. We hope to get a start on that by the end of this calendar year; after Canada, we're very open to suggestions from our user base.
Here's a link to my favorite local organization that needs donations of certain used items. Can you please add them to your database?
You got it! Just drop us a note to email@example.com and we'll make sure it's in there for your region. This is a great example of crowdsourced data coming from clued-in citizens like you...When our beta launches it will allow you to input this directly to our database!
Great question! Because we plan to give it away for free to encourage massive use.
One of our favorite questions! Please see our app walkthrough on our website: http://teamcora.com/about/app/
- (30 days)