We decided that we would not do a video, this is due to the cost and time it takes and the fact most people don't watch them. But if you really want one we will do one. But if you are not fussed here's a summary: You play a member of an Elite Special Forces Unit sent to sort out Drug Cartels, Crime Lord, Terrorist Cells and Warlords. Travelling from jungles to deserts, arctic regions to urban sprawls.
- Rules for K9 companions that improve as you do.
- Rules for Squad Actions (coordinated takedowns etc).
- Real world settings.
- Modern and future tech weapons and gear.
- Assault from boats, planes or vehicles.
Ghost Ops is a Tabletop RPG based in the world of Military Special Operations. You will be part of a Black Ops team made up of international Elite Special Forces Operatives sent out to the worst trouble hotspots in the world. The game will cover Eastern European crime organisations, South American Drug Cartels. International Terrorist cells and African warlords to name just a few. In one mission you could be assaulting a Tanker in the Indian ocean the next be in the Jungles of the Congo taking down Guerilla forces.
The game is designed to not only deal with oneshot missions where you and your squad get airdropped in the heart of the action but also campaigns in which you may need to take down a corrupt government or infiltrate a Terror group. We will even include rules for skirmish missions where you can dig out those miniatures and battle against a friend.
If you love computer games like Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon and Call of Duty then this is the Tabletop Game you have been waiting for to immerse you in the world of Special Operations. Join the official Facebook group here and our official G+ Group here
The Game itself will come in two flavours Original and Savage Worlds.
Both will have a detailed background system where you choose the Special Forces unit you trained and worked with before becoming a member of Ghost Ops. Both will include rules for vehicles and also K9 companions, yes you will be able to have a secondary character of a trained Spec Ops dog, who will level up and learn like you do.
The Original - The Original ruleset is the one we started building a year ago and have been playtesting for 6 months, it is based around the Fate Dice used in the Fate System, but it is not Fate. We use a system of busts and boosts to determine the difficulty of tasks as well as difficulties based on range and other circumstances.
The Original also has a wound system that adds modifiers to rolls and a unique system of breaks that allow you to re-roll dice but each time you use one the GM gains a break for themselves.
The original is a fast, cool system that utilises the Fate Dice perfectly allowing you to really get the sense of tension and drama in every mission.
Savage Worlds - The Savage Worlds version will include unique Edges and Hindrances and also new Squad Edges that the whole team benefits from as they grow and work together. Players will choose which international Special Forces unit they came from and gain unique benefits from those. They will then choose their Archetypes, from Assault, to Recon and Specialist and so forth.
The Savage Worlds book will also have rules for taking your characters into Showdown the Savage Worlds Skirmish rules, vehicle rules and also K9 companions.
We have not gone with the two book option that many Savage World settings do, instead this will be a huge 150 -200 page book with everything you need to play and GM the game, no spending extra.
The game will be designed by members of the FGDystopia team, some of whom just finished work on Shelter. We have a great artist and some great writers working to bring the game to life, the rules are mainly done and we have to just clean them up and start work on the backgrounds.
Most of the art will be done by Coty Polk who designed the image below.
With larger environment images by Russell Goh.
The Savage Worlds and the Fate Dice books will be written & designed by Ian F. White and Jay along with a few of our playtesters getting their ideas thrown in.
We also have some more great writers involved like Darren Pearce, August Hahn, Jody J. A. Cummings, Christian Nommay, Alan Bahr and Brandon Williams who will be creating adventures and sourcebooks for the game.
We even have a military advisor to help us at least stick to a bit of realism, though the game will verge on the cutting edge fiction of Tom Clancy more.
We have a whole bunch of Stretch Goals planned and we will unleash them as and when we need them.
Current Value of the Stretch Goals = $180
£4000 - Mission Pack 1 - Unlocked - PDF
Mission Pack 1 includes 5 adventures designed by some great writers, each adventure can be used for both Savage Worlds and the Original rule system.
- 'My Brother's Keeper' by August Hahn: One of the Team has gone missing and you have 24 hrs to find them.
- Red on Red by Jody J. A. Cummings: Civil war in south america, two rebel forces in conflict and the son of an NGO in the middle, you are sent to get him out.
- Operation Black Tide by Christian Nommay: A group of Eco-Terrorists have invaded an oil rig in the Gulf of Mexico and are holding the workers hostage, you must neutralize the terrorists and free the hostages.
- Operation Medusa by Brandon Williams: An agent is missing and the Cartel they were investigating is unleashing a new deadly drug called Medusa, find the agent and put an end to Medusa.
- Saratoga Scramble by Alan Bahr: When the NSA Data Collection Center at Camp Williams in Utah is occupied by hostile forces where the intent is unknown, your team must enact a daring plan in the heart of the high desert. Dubbed Operation: Saratoga Scramble, you are the best of the best, and you're handling a hostage situation in one of the sleepiest towns in Utah.
£5000 - Drops and Safe Houses - Unlocked - PDF
A source book on gear drops, couriers, secret caches and safe houses across the globe, an invaluable resource for covert operatives in the modern world. This will be written by August Hahn. PDF.
£6000 - Mission Pack 2 - Unlocked - PDF
Another pack of adventures but this time designed by the players and GM's who are looking forward to the game, this set of 5 adventures can be used for both rule systems. PDF.
One Sheet Missions:
- The Dragons Daughter by Mario Cordova - A team of search and rescue operators are tasked with extracting a reporter, the grand daughter of a CEO of a powerful corporation, from a city in the grips of civil unrest/insurgent occupation.
- Under the Radar by Martin Punter - A nuclear submarine surfaces. It’s NATO crew are all presumed dead. The viral agent hidden aboard was released by Anders Watson, leader of the group of mercenaries. He believes he is the only person alive onboard. The US Navy have lost contact with the submarine, and call The Ghost Ops for assistance. The short range nuclear missiles must be contained.
- Crossfire in the last Stalinist Country by Gregory Huyghe - Airforce One has crashed in North Korea, the President is entrenched in a decommissioned bunker, you are sent to bring him back, but three other special forces units from other countries are also trying to locate him.
- Cautery by Axel Cushing - It was supposed to be a simple job. Basic information gathering. Something kids fresh off The Farm could have handled and not screwed up. Yet here you are, on the run, security services trying to hunt you and your team down, local news painting you as terrorists and saboteurs. Things have officially gone FUBAR. You're in a safe house for the moment, but you're not sure how safe it really is. The last message from HQ wasn't encouraging. A single word: "CAUTERY" and the number 48 after it. It's the one scenario no operator likes to consider: one of your own has betrayed you, sold you out to the opposition. And you're up against the clock. You have 48 hours to figure out which of your comrades turned on you and eliminate them. If you can't, then things move from "cautery" to "amputation."
- Ransom or Revenge by Jeramy Terry - A Big Oil exec is living in Angola Africa, his Wife and teenager are being held hostage with Ransom demands. Several government organizations were negotiating payment and release but things went south. The execs wife was executed (on video). So he has hired the PCs to extract his child and kill the hostage takers.
£7000 - Africa - Unlocked - PDF
Welcome to Africa a continent of savage beauty and diverse environments, Africa is the first of our Location Source Books. inside you will find -
- Corrupt Corporations exploiting the land.
- Tribal Warlords fighting for control.
- Deadly wildlife.
- The Pirates of the Southern Coast.
- Merc controlled Diamond Mines.
- Lost ancient cities hiding world changing secrets.
£8000 - Project Lucifer - Unlocked - PDF
Since our first obsession with the paranormal, our first faltering steps as a species to attempt to control powers classified as paranormal, scientists and the military in turn have poked at the human mind. They have attempted to unlock the dormant part of the brain which can do incredible things, perform superhuman, or supernatural feats akin to magic. In 1960 there were experiments that involved remote viewing in Russia, of course the West, not to be outdone activated numerous projects in response — one of those was called Project Parallel and produced a modicum of success, using prisoners who were transferred from death row and subjected to terrible dark experiments they managed to create highly unstable individuals who could hurl objects around a room. Unfortunately they were all psychotic and many of them had to be terminated. The project was shut down by the lead when a Psi-enhanced soldier ran amok in the installation and turned it into a charnel house.
In 1981, led by Duncan Bright, the Bright Corporation found the old notes of Project Parallel and reactivated the program using cutting-edge science and artifacts rumoured to be pulled from the very depths of Hell itself. No one believed this of course, it was too preposterous for the average mind to comprehend. Duncan knew the truth and Project Lucifer was born that day. The goal, create a special force of men and women who could use psychic and supernatural powers to control the battlefield of the future. Operating from a remote base somewhere in the Atlantic Ocean, Bright’s new project was highly successful and soon they began to train soldiers in psychokinesis, telekinesis, mental combat and more.
Duncan had opened a door to a new world, a brave one, and a dangerous one.
Because some doors that are opened can never be closed.
When Duncan died in 1994 the new CO of Project Lucifer, Madeline Cross took over and she took the project to new heights. The daughter of a Project Lucifer soldier, she had been born with incredible powers. Madeline began to push Lucifer’s research into new directions, taking the company toward a PMC (Private Military Contractor) and offering her psychic soldiers to the highest bidder.
You’ll join the cadre of soldiers who have to face down what Project Lucifer has unleashed, fighting the supernatural with your grit, guns and wit. Facing down the soldiers of Madeline Cross who have been corrupted by terrible powers and may have been possessed by demons or worse.
Welcome to Project Lucifer, Soldier, next stop: Madness!
£9000 - Mission Pack 3 - Unlocked - PDF
Carrying on from Project Lucifer Mission Pack 3 includes 2 One sheets and 3 Adventures set in the world of horror and Psychic soldiers. Will you survive?
£10,000 - Compendium 1 - Unlocked - Physical
The First of the physical compendiums collecting all the sourcebooks and location books we have unlocked up to now this will include Drops and Safehouses, Africa, and Project Lucifer into one book, also if we do not reach the next Compendium all unlocked location guides and sourcebooks beyond £10,000 will be included. This is a Physical Stretch Goal.
£10.500 - Mission File - Unlocked - Physical
We will collect all the missions from Mission Pack 1 and 3 into one physical book and if we do not reach the next File we will also include Mission Pack 4. This is a Physical Stretch Goal
£11,000 - Central & South America - Unlocked - PDF
In the second location book Jody J.A. Cummings brings you South America, the sweeping vistas of this diverse continent from mountains to Jungles make South America an interesting setting, From the Gangs of Mexico, through the Drug Cartels of Colombia, the Rebels in Brazil and the rumours of Nazi's in Argentina, Missions in South America will be diverse and exciting.
£12,000 - Mission Pack 4 - The Movie Ripoff Pack - Unlocked - PDF
Have you ever wanted to re-enact those great moves like Predator, Black Hawk Down and Tears of the Sun, ever felt the need to be part of the Expendables? Well now you and your Squad will get the chance to be in the movie.
£13,000 - Antarctic Station - Unlocked - PDF
Deep inside the Antarctic an American Ice Station has lost contact, its last transmission stated they had found something under the ice, something important, now everyone wants it. As a homage to the writings of Matthew Reilly we will bring the Antarctic to life, and with Permission from Mr Reilly himself we have added Maghooks to the game.
£14,000 - Cities Guide 1 - Locked - PDF
We will delve into a few Major cities of the world, their corruptions, crime families, terrorist cells and threats. In this book we will cover the cities of Hong Kong, Tokyo, Berlin, Moscow and London.
£15,000 - The Dossier - Locked - PDF
The secret files on all the organisations, individuals and cells active throughout the world. Collecting all the NPC's and groups from all the unlocked Stretch Goals into one volume so you can use them in your own missions.
£16,500 - Operation Dawn Red - Locked - PDF
For years Hackers had been placing viruses in the system via backdoors preparing for Operation Dawn Red, EMP devices hidden in key cities with remote detonators linked to mobile phones designed to knock out the defense grid and communications.
It was July 4th, most people were celebrating or spending time with family, and this is when they struck, coordinated attacks taking out both online and offline communications and power, radar and satellites went dark and the planes fell from the sky... then the invasion began...
Your team are tasked to bring down the invaders key commanders, infiltrate and destroy with extreme prejudice is the last word from the President, America has become the battlefield!
You will need to coordinate civilians, plan strategies and take control of key locations, you are the last hope of the people, you are the Ghosts
We have decided after a lot of deliberation to throw this Addon section into the mix, so rather than just picking a Stretch Goal and adding that you now have the small selection below. If we hit the Compendium Stretch goal we will also add that into the mix.
- Softback copy of Ghost Ops - £20
- Hardback copy of Ghost Ops - £30
- Compendium 1 - £20
- Mission File - £20
These will be cheaper than the release price and only available during this Kickstarter so if you need an extra copy now's the time to grab them a bit cheaper.
All you need to do is increase your pledge by the amount stated and then mention it in the other info on the survey.
All Physical Books will be sent Via DriveThruRPG you will receive a voucher asking for payment of the shipping costs, once that has been received the books will be sent out.
This allows us to keep the shipping costs fair and relevant for the country you live in.
All PDF's will be sent from DTRPG as usual.
Risks and challenges
We have been playtesting the game for around 6 months and its great, we also have a great team of writers and artists involved.
We cannot see any issue with this as we have given ourselves a lot of lead time (something we learnt from past Kickstarter Campaigns).
Barring life issues this project will be launched on time if not a bit early.
- (30 days)