Expedition Zetta successfully funded on October 12 2017. Did you miss the kickstarter campaign? Or do you want more copies? Then you can pre-order the game at http://iongamedesign.com
Have you ever looked up in the sky, at all the stars, at the marvel of the universe and felt a curious nerve inside wanting to travel to these stars, see the planets there and maybe find life?
EXPEDITION ZETTA is a game about space exploration. It has a modular game system. Using the basic rules the game is easy to access for everyone. And if you are an experienced boardgamer you can use several or all advanced rules, which turns Expedition Zetta into a quite intricate and complex game.
You and your fellow players will each represent a country on the maiden voyage of the first starship to ever use the newly developed warp drive. The goal is to brave the unknown and collect discoveries in four different planetary systems. One player will bring the most fame and fortune to his or her home country.
Will it be YOU?
Expedition Zetta is a game for 1-5 players (10 years and up. Play time: 15-45 minutes per player).
You will get A LOT of game for your money. There are more than 800 components in the box, plus 130 sleeves and 20 zip-lock bags. Among the components you find
- a round foldable game board
- 11 uniquely colored 12-sided dice
- 7 spaceship 3D-miniatures
- 300+ cards
- 100+ flag markers
- 100+ acrylic gems for substance
- 2 cloth bags
...and more. Below you find the contents described in more detail.
You are a country!
On the journey you bring 1-4 crew members.
Your goal is to make the most famous discoveries in the distant galaxies. 4 random planetary systems form your path through space. Make the best of it!
PREPARATION - Once per game, in the beginning, you recruit the best possible crew for the journey.
EXPLORATION - 4 planetary systems per game. After warping together to a distant star you travel with your crew individually between planets, searching for life and substances or trying to construct exo-products. If the life you find is intelligent you may even interact with it. The discoveries are your main source of Fame. The modules in the advanced rules can add both more possibilities and more whole stages to the game:
PLANETARY SYSTEM GENERATION (Advanced game) - you use the revolutionary Zetta PSG’s dice and card system to generate a unique planetary system in the universe.
WARP (Advanced game) - During the warp stage you interact with the other players’ crew members to gain advantages. Romance or Intrigue may occur, with varying effects. More information can be found in the rules-link below.
The rules have not had any art direction, language check or layout work. But here you have them in their raw form :)
For more information on different aspects of the game read the following updates:
The revolutionary Zetta Planetary System Generator can generate as many different star systems in the game as there are in the known universe, each with its own unique characteristics and its own name. No two voyages to the stars will ever be the same! Further, you can shape the game to meet your needs and interests.
- Expedition Zetta has a basic version that is great for the whole family.
- Want a quick game? Use the Quick rules!
- Want to add special adventures and encounters to your mission? Play adding one or several of the advanced rule modules!
- Want to play solo? There are two different solitaire variants.
Whether solo or with friends, Expedition Zetta gives you YOUR universe to explore in YOUR way, a universe as infinite as the cosmos itself, filled with wonder, surprise, danger, and discovery!
EXPEDITION ZETTA has been play-tested continuously during the development process, ever since the very early prototypes. The game has been greatly appreciated. In particular, they have enjoyed:
- The way you are taken through the game via three distinct game sections which affect each other intricately.
- The epic feel of the game.
- The fact that the game can generate and even name as many planetary systems as there are in the known universe.
- The combination of science behind the mechanics and the fluent gameplay.
- Finding life in distant galaxies! :)
EXPEDITION ZETTA is set in a retrofuturistic 1962. This is an alternate history where warp drive technology was invented in the 1950's, a time when space travel was magical and anything seemed possible--and it was! You represent a country that takes part in the maiden voyage of the first spaceship ever to use this new warp drive. The 1960's feel has been present as a goal in every design decision during the creation of Expedition Zetta.
INTRODUCING EXPEDITION ZETTA TO NEW PLAYERS: I wanted Expedition Zetta to be a game for all that also give you depth if you want to. It is surprisingly easy to learn if you use the basic rules and the quick versions. The game plays in different stages, which is helpful when you are familiar with them. In playtests, I have seen that players tend to get past the first threshold of the game and finding the flow after only two warps or so which is great. It always warms a game designers heart when players find the flow in your game :)
ABOUT THE STRATEGY IN EXPEDITION ZETTA: One thing that I am particularly proud of in EXPEDITION ZETTA is how the ever-shifting environments you encounter open up a web of potential strategies to challenge the ingenuity and daring of the player. Beginners to the game are helped by this as they can always find something exciting to do during their turns. Likewise, the experienced player will continue to find new possibilities or new ways to tweak familiar strategies. I still find new strategies myself, to be honest. One important thing is to use the elements of randomness to your advantage. I sincerely hope and believe that all of you that get a copy of EXPEDITION ZETTA will have many, many hours of great, enjoyable gameplay ahead of you, and many epic, memorable moments that will trigger your imagination about our unfathomable universe.
Please follow us our social media channels, and share this project on your social networks. Below there is also a link to some nice avatars you can use to show your support for the project.
We practice industry standard price reductions for distributors and retailers. If you are a distributor or a retailer and want to pre-order Expedition Zetta, please contact Besime at email@example.com and she will get back to you with information on price levels and shipping arrangements.
Risks and challenges
When you pledge on Kickstarter you put your trust in a project long before it is completed and you contribute, with this trust, to making Expedition Zetta a reality. We value that kind of trust and we value the model of Kickstarter too. It is built on trust and Ion Game Design will honor that model and prove our trustworthiness in delivering Expedition Zetta, as we did with our previous successful Kickstarter "HIRÞ".
Having said that, here are a few thoughts on the game and on production issues.
- The game has been developed in stages and over a period of several years, iterated through many play-testing sessions. The general impression from almost every play testers has been highly positive, both on the game mechanics and the quality in which the game will be produced. The gameplay and the balance of the game is well tested.
- We have met face to face with many different manufacturers from China and have taken advice from numerous other game developers. We feel very confident that the manufacturer we’ve chosen will deliver an excellent product.
- Ion Game Design is run by very experienced staff. We have a clear understanding about responsibility, quality and professionalism. We feel confident that we will be able to tackle any bumps on the production road and we will keep you updated about the process along the way.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)