Expedition Zetta - Charting the Universe
Expedition Zetta - Charting the Universe
An epic space adventure where you explore any planetary system in the universe offering all from alien life discovery to warp romances.
An epic space adventure where you explore any planetary system in the universe offering all from alien life discovery to warp romances. Read more
About this project
- We are still working on getting this kickstarter campaign in USD, so if the pledge levels on the right aren't exactly as the graphics yet that is why. -
Expedition Zetta - Charting the universe
Have you ever looked up in the sky, at all the stars, at the marvel of the universe and felt a curios nerve inside wanting to travel to these stars, see the planets there and maybe find life? EXPEDITION ZETTA includes 3D-models of spaceships, gorgeous art and a modular game system. We have put a lot of effort into making this a game that suit many players and play styles. From young or inexperienced players to enthusiast!
Expedition Zetta is a game for 1-5 players (10 years and up. Play time: 15-45 minutes per player). You and your fellow players will each represent a country in a maiden voyage of the first starship to ever use a newly developed warp drive. The goal is to brave the unknown and collect discoveries in four different star systems. Though you may have to cooperate, one player will bring special fame and fortune to his or her home country.
Will it be YOU?
Here we post reviews and previews of EXPEDITION ZETTA during the Kickstarter campaign. (reviews linked via quote image)
In Expedition Zetta, you'll:
- discover strange planetary systems, randomly generated each game based on the latest scientific data
- find exotic new substances never before seen
- develop exo-products that can advance human technology
- gain new knowledge
- encounter new forms of life or ruins and settlements of vanished, ancient alien civilizations with their promise of both danger and discovery.
- perhaps encounter another star-faring civilization whose members might even become part of your crew, making it not only international but interstellar
- see crew interactions that can lead to romance or intrigue, which can either help or hinder you.
Every game plays differently!
The revolutionary Zetta Planetary System Generator can generate as many different star systems in the game as there are in the known universe, each with its own unique characteristics and its own name. Thus, no two voyages to the stars will ever be the same! Further, you can shape the game to meet your needs and interests.
- Expedition Zetta has a basic version that is great for the whole family.
- Want a quick game? Use the Quick rules!
- Want to add special adventures and encounters to your mission? Play adding one or several of the specialized rule modules!
- Want to play solo? There are two different solitaire variants.
- Playing for the first time? Use the play-and-learn tutorial.
Expedition Zetta is a game that offer an accessible, joyful time to an inexperienced player. At the same time, the modular rules and random star systems combines science and fluid gameplay to bring a depth of experience to the game enthusiast, offering many different types of strategies to accomplish the mission. Based on carefully researched scientific facts, Expedition Zetta brings a believable, consistent, internal game logics to player on all levels. Whether solo or with friends, Expedition Zetta gives you YOUR universe to explore in YOUR way, a universe as infinite as the cosmos itself, filled with wonder, surprise, danger, and discovery!
A game that players love!
EXPEDITION ZETTA has been play-tested continuously during the development process, ever since the very early prototypes. The game has been greatly appreciated. In particular, they have enjoyed:
- The way you are taken through the game via three distinct game sections which affect each other intricately.
- The epic feel of the game.
- The fact that the game can generate and even name as many planetary systems as there are in the known universe.
- The combination of science behind the mechanics and the fluent gameplay.
- Finding life in distant galaxies! :)
A retrofuturistic game!
EXPEDITION ZETTA is set in a retrofuturistic 1962. This is an alternate history where warp drive technology was invented in the 1950's, a time when space travel was magical and anything seemed possible--and it was! You represent a country that takes part in the maiden voyage of the first spaceship ever to use this new warp drive. The 1960's feel has been present as a goal in every design decision during the creation of Expedition Zetta.
So, how do I play it!
You are a country! On the journey you bring 1-4 crew members. Your goal is to make the most famous discoveries in the distant galaxies. 4 random planetary systems form your path through space. Make the best of it! The basic version of the rules are played through:
PREPARATION - Once per game, in the beginning, you recruit the best possible crew for the journey.
EXPLORATION - 4 planetary systems per game. After warping together to a distant star you travel with your crew individually between planets, searching for life and substances or trying to construct exo-products. If the life you find is intelligent you may even interact with it. The discoveries are your main source of Fame.
The modules in the advanced rules can add both more possibilities and more whole stages to the game:
PLANETARY SYSTEM GENERATION (Advanced game) - you use the revolutionary Zetta PSG’s dice and card system to generate a unique planetary system in the universe.
WARP (Advanced game) - During the warp stage you interact with the other players’ crew members to gain advantages. Romance or Intrigue may occur, with varying effects.
More information can be found in the rules-link and the how-to-play-video below.
How to Play Video and Rules:
Here's a how to play video we made. It sums up most of the concepts of the game.
The rules have not had any art direction, language check or layout work. But here you have them in their raw form (This is our actual original document that we are still tweaking so it may change slightly over time :) EXPEDITION ZETTA RULES
Words from the designer, Jon Manker
INTRODUCING EXPEDITION ZETTA TO NEW PLAYERS: I wanted Expedition Zetta to be a game for all that also give you depth if you want to. It is surprisingly easy to learn if you use the basic rules, the quick versions and the tutorial mini games. The game plays in different stages, which is helpful when you are familiar with them. In playtests, I have seen that players tend to get past the first threshold of the game and finding the flow after only two warps or so which is great. It always warms a game designers heart when players find the flow in your game.
ABOUT THE STRATEGY IN EXPEDITION ZETTA: One thing that I am particularly proud of in EXPEDITION ZETTA is how the ever-shifting environments you encounter open up a web of potential strategies to challenge the ingenuity and daring of the player. Beginners to the game are helped by this as they can always find something exciting to do during their turns. Likewise, the experienced player will continue to find new possibilities or new ways to tweak familiar strategies. I still find new strategies myself, to be honest. One important thing is to use the elements of randomness to your advantage. I sincerely hope and believe that all of you deciding to get a copy of EXPEDITION ZETTA will have many, many hours of great, enjoyable gameplay ahead of yo, and many epic and memorable moments that will trigger your imagination about our unfathomable universe.
Follow us on our social media channels :)
DISTRIBUTORS AND RETAILERS:
We practice industry standard price reductions for distributors and retailers. If you are a distributor or a retailer and want to pre-order Expedition Zetta, please contact Besime at firstname.lastname@example.org and she will get back to you with information on price levels and shipping arrangements.
Risks and challenges
When you pledge on Kickstarter you put your trust in a project long before it is completed and you contribute, with this trust, to making Expedition Zetta a reality. We value that kind of trust and we value the model of Kickstarter too. It is built on trust and Ion Game Design will honor that model and prove our trustworthiness in delivering Expedition Zetta, as we did with our previous successful Kickstarter "HIRÞ".
Having said that, here are a few thoughts on the game and on production issues.
- The game has been developed in stages and over a period of several years, iterated through many play-testing sessions. The general impression from almost every play testers has been highly positive, both on the game mechanics and the quality in which the game will be produced. The gameplay and the balance of the game is well tested.
- We have met face to face with many different manufacturers from China and have taken advice from numerous other game developers. We feel very confident that the manufacturer we’ve chosen will deliver an excellent product.
- Ion Game Design is run by very experienced staff. We have a clear understanding about responsibility, quality and professionalism. We feel confident that we will be able to tackle any bumps on the production road and we will keep you updated about the process along the way.