Our "grandkids" needed some help along the way, so, working together, Leo and I used duct tape and a needle and thread to make sure they could develop safely.
Drum roll, please!
The big day finally arrives! 4 monarchs emerge inside between 8:00am and 12:30pm.
However, we still have 34 chrysalises left.
The day before a chrysalis is ready to emerge, it turns dark. The chrysalis itself is clear, but the colorful wings and body of the developing monarch within begin to show through. Now that we have discovered what the signs are, we planned on getting up early the next day (July 10th) and letting most of the monarchs emerge as nature intended - in the garden!
OMG! That's not the end of it! While we were working outside with the monarchs, a wild monarch fluttered by and started laying eggs!!! We collected 19 new eggs over two days!
If that wasn't enough, Julene Lisota, the very first donor to our Kickstarter project, spotted an inch long caterpillar within the milkweed while she was assisting Leo work with a chrysalis!
Our journey begins again...
Thank you all...we couldn't have done it without YOU!