InTanj - A new software development methodology that abandons 20th century manufacturing principles and practices Read more
This project's funding goal was
About this project
Building a New SDM
Hi, I am Scott Garibay. I am a Software Quality Engineer and I am building a new Software Development Methodology. I am specifically building the first software development methodology that abandons the principles and practices of 20th century manufacturing and is designed specifically for teams of unique, highly-skilled knowledge workers to build intangible goods (software) that will be instantly distributed all over the world without the use of a single truck, boat or plane. The name of this is new methodology is InTanj.
What is an SDM?
A software development methodology is an approach, a collection of choices, that information technology teams use to build software together.
Why build a new SDM?
Currently, there are two software development methodologies that are used by most information technology teams, Iterative and Agile. Both of these methodologies are based on the principles and practices of 20th century manufacturing.
Manufacturing revolutionized the making of tangible goods. Before the 20th century, tangible goods were painstakingly created by craftsman (trained through apprenticeship) using unique parts. Manufacturing shattered this model. Tangible goods were then made in huge quantities by interchangeable, minimally trained laborers using equally interchangeable identical parts.
Both the Iterative and Agile software development methodologies are foundationally structured on the principles and practices of 20th century manufacturing. Iterative carries influences from Six Sigma, a business management strategy used to eliminate variability in mass production of tangible goods, like lamps and refrigerators. Agile heavily leverages manufacturing advances made by Toyota in the 70s and 80s.
The problem with our current software development methodologies being rooted in manufacturing is that while manufacturing was a revolutionary methodology in the 20th century, it is a constricting methodology in the 21st century where intangible goods are made asynchronously from an infinite store of concepts and ideas by highly varied, highly trained knowledge workers. In building software there is no production line, there is no inventory and the labor for each worker is certainly not the repetitive execution of the same task hundreds of times a day.
Simply said, software builders should not be using principles and practices designed for factory workers. Understanding this, why would we continue to use software development methodologies mired in 20th century manufacturing methods.
Recognizing this problem, it is critical that we have a software development methodology built from the ground up to enable teams of completely non-interchangeable knowledge workers to build intangible goods (software) that will be distributed instantly to the farthest edges of our planet.
The InTanj software development methodology will bring new principles and practices to bear for knowledge workers to use in building unique intangible goods.
InTanj - New Principles and Practices
- Distributed communication - A focus on distributed communication and devaluation of face-to-face communication. A recognition that building software today is a distributed pursuit and that the most valuable members for your team are not the ones that can be found co-located within 30 miles of one another.
- Adjustable documentation – The ability to adjust documentation for one requirement from a single word all the way to a full video.
- Adjustable delivery – Enabling a team to deliver one piece of functionality today or a large track of functionality six months from now.
- Requirement Innovation - Major changes in who determine what is built for a product.
- Team-based task establishment - An inversion of the old model - rather than team members being told what tasks they will complete to achieve a goal, each member of the team will declare the individual tasks they will complete to accomplish the set goal.
- New roles - Knowledge workers will have never-before-seen roles that will enable them to serve their teams in new ways.
InTanj - A book, an SDM, a Certification
The output of the InTanj project will be -
- The Intanj book (physical and electronic) detailing the software methodology.
- The software development methodology itself which will be open for any and all companies who wish to use it free of charge.
- The InTanj Guide Certification, a certification that information technology professionals can complete to become certified to guide their companies through implementing and then using InTanj in their companies.
InTanj - Free, Open, Non-Linear
I am building InTanj so that information technology teams can build software in a free, open, non-linear structure.
Please help me build InTanj by becoming a backer. Thank you.
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Helper - Full ebook detailing Intanj 1.0 SDM.Estimated delivery:
Assister - Full physical, signed book detailing Intanj 1.0 SDM (and a listing within the book as an InTanj backer). + All rewards above.Estimated delivery:
Supporter - Access to InTanj 1.0 SDM design content, an advance in-depth view of the the creation of the InTanj SDM as it occurs. + All rewards above.Estimated delivery:
Contributor - One pre-registration for InTanj Guide Certification. The first three months InTanj Guide Certification training will only be open to these pre-registrations. These pre-registration include 1) online or on-site training (the choice of the backer and travel to on-site training is supplied by the backer), and 2) the option to test up to three times to achieve InTanj Guide Certification. + All rewards above.Estimated delivery:
Benefactor - Participation in monthly conference call on InTanj design through to the planned launch in April 2012. Ability to directly request features to be included in InTanj as it is designed. + All rewards above.Estimated delivery:
0 backers Limited (10 left of 10)
Founding Innovator - Always identified as one of ten Founding Innovators of InTanj on all InTanj material and releases. Founding Innovators are always informed and feedback is gathered from Founding Innovators before new editions of InTanj are released. + All rewards above.Estimated delivery:
- (40 days)