[Two Steps Back] is a kinetic visual novel that I've been dedicating the past half a year to, it's been the steepest learning curve I've ever put myself through--I had to teach myself everything from top to bottom!!--but the result has become so so much more amazing than I ever could have anticipated.
I've always seen myself as being three things: an artist, a gamer, and a story teller.
So I started experimenting, to see if this was something I could pull off, combining all three of these parts of me, and what we have here is the final result of that experiment!
Though the game is no where near being finished. All of the visuals need work, there needs to be more character "sprites" to show a wider range of emotions, there needs to be more music, I want every character "sprite" to be animated, and I want to add in at least one more scene to tie up the lose ends about the characters, the world they've been stuck in, and the "ending" to the game.
This visual novel features:
- 30+ Fully animated character sprites
- A soundtrack of 7+ [always adding more as the support comes in!] original songs with both instrumentals and vocals
- 25+ in game illustrations
- A second, never before seen, part of the game that delves deeper into the world, the character's past, and the mysterious anomaly that plagues our heroine!
- Unlimited [?] re-playability!?
[Just some shots of the newly animated sprites! More support means more complicated animations, though every sprite in game will be animated regardless!.]
And that's where you come in!
I've brought the game to KickStarter to get funding to push this piece to the highest level of polished completion as I can take it!
"But what do I get out of it?" You ask?
With every download of the game, you'll have access to every single image and audio track used to create the game--included for free! You'll even be able to hear tracks that weren't used in the final version, or the original versions of ones that had been altered as development progressed--all for your viewing and listening pleasure!
Because of this, I've put in every effort to offer high-quality rewards for higher-tier backers! I will not be recycling any works here! This means that all posters, postcards, dakimakuras, and sticker rewards will feature all new art that can't be found in just the download of the game!
Here's a little preview of some of the awesome rewards you'll get for backing! [I have even more exciting things planned if we can hit further stretch goals~!!]
And if we can push past the initial goal I have even bigger plans!
- $2,000- if reached I'll be able to up the quality even further! More character "sprites", more complicated animations, and more music! As well as the game will be added to Steam!
- $2,500- two new stickers and two new mini prints will be added to every pledge $45 and up!
- $4,000- if reached the game will include full voice-acting! The cast is small so I can spend a lot of time ensuring the quality while not pushing the game's release back! [Casting will begin once the goal is hit, and of course you'll get updates on the casting process!]
- $5,000- ?
- $6,000- ??
- $10,000- ???
Risks and challenges
As of now the game is already at about 80% completion, All that's left at this stage really is adding in the new scene I've written, and polishing up everything to a wonderful completed and professional level!
So I'm in a pretty good spot where not a whole lot can go wrong, since at this point I'm doing everything myself.
The real challenge is when I start bringing others in-- mostly with the rewards. There could be delays in shipping, or maybe the stickers or dakimakura prints don't come at quite the quality I'm striving for, so I'd have to find another source to get them made at.
Though I think the timeline I've set up will give me more than enough wiggle room in case challenges do pop up. I purposefully started this KickStarter after my spring semester ended, and guarantee for everything to be sent out before the fall semester starts, so school is not an obstacle that will get in my way!
Honestly I expect everything to be sent out much earlier than September, but giving myself that extra time to ensure that everything is at its utmost quality is just one of the many ways I'm planning ahead for any unexpected or unseen challenges!
- (45 days)