Here Comes The Reign Again brings together an amazing roster of indie musicians – including Mike Doughty, Rachael Yamagata, Tracy Bonham, Freedy Johnston, Mike Viola, Bleu, David Mead, Ken Stringfellow of The Posies, and Chris Collingwood of Fountains of Wayne – to give their updated takes on the classic British hits of the '80s.
This is the follow up to a project I funded here on Kickstarter and released in 2013. Drink A Toast To Innocence: A Tribute To Lite Rock paid homage to those AM radio favorites of the late '70s. While I was researching Drink A Toast, I wondered what it was that ultimately ended Lite Rock's dominance on the American charts. Well, it didn't take long to realize that the rise of MTV in the early '80s signaled a sea change in the way people consumed music.
When MTV was brand new, it helped to usher in a British influence on the airwaves not seen since The Beatles and The Rolling Stones first hit the American shores. Led by bands like Duran Duran, Tears For Fears, Eurythmics, and Culture Club, this Second British Invasion had a massive impact on popular culture.
Now, thirty years later, some of the best indie musicians of today are paying tribute to these great songs and bands.
Take a look at the full track listing:
- Life In A Northern Town – Chris Collingwood
- Do You Really Want To Hurt Me – Rachael Yamagata
- Save A Prayer – David Mead
- Dancing With Myself – Taylor Locke
- Promises, Promises – Freedy Johnston
- Life’s What You Make It – The Nines
- Everybody Wants To Rule The World – Mike Viola
- Relax – Mike Doughty
- Sweet Dreams (Are Made Of This) – Tracy Bonham
- Goody Two Shoes – Jim Boggia & Pete Donnelly
- Something About You – Kelly Jones
- Every Time You Go Away – Linus Of Hollywood
- Digging Your Scene – Ken Stringfellow
- Don't You Want Me – Chris Price
- They Don’t Know – Graham Alexander
- Tainted Love – Eric Barao
- Only You – The Wellingtons
- Cruel Summer – People On Vacation
- Tenderness – TeamMate
- Our House – The Corner Laughers
- West End Girls – Secret Friend
- Don’t You (Forget About Me) – Bleu
- Freedom – The Davenports
- Wouldn’t It Be Good – Cliff Hillis
- Kids In America – Big-Box Store
- True – Minky Starshine
- No One Is To Blame – Eytan Mirsky & Alyson Greenfield
- Things Can Only Get Better (KICKSTARTER-ONLY BONUS TRACK) – An American Underdog
- If You Leave (KICKSTARTER-ONLY BONUS TRACK) - Corin Ashley
More than two dozen amazing artists, doing fantastic new versions of songs that defined an entire era of music. Whether you love the original versions and you're curious about how the new recordings might sound, or you're a fan of the current artists, and you want to hear their latest tracks, Here Comes The Reign Again is for you. So, please, give what you can. And thank you for everything!
Risks and challenges
The tracks are all in. The mastering is done. Now it's just a matter of sending everything off to be manufactured. In other words, there's not much preventing this project from crossing the finish line. And with your help, it's going to happen by summer's end.
Having successfully done a project like this one just last year, I know that mailing dates can be tough to pin down. But should any deadlines need to be adjusted, I'll let all backers know in a timely manner.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (34 days)