About this project
Think of the first time you grabbed a controller and played as a character who rampaged through a world, killing everything in sight. Have you ever stopped to think how those little guys felt? Well worry you not...we have the antidote!
The Basics - Kill The plumber is a parody to other platformers. Your goal is to stop the 'protagonist' from winning each level. You start off as a slow minion who can't even jump, but has enough power to kill the hero. As you get the hang of it, you start playing as other enemies that can jump, shoot, stomp and even fly, sometimes controlling more than one character at a time!
The Story - It was a peaceful day in the kingdom, when all of a sudden a Mexican plumber decided to rampage and cause destruction. No matter what the critters threw at him, he kept coming back, and even tried to kidnap their princess.
Features - As opposed to the mobile/web games, will have much more content and more polished everything! A few features to look out for -
- 100 levels to start off with*
- Grassland, dungeon, castle, beach and underwater levels*
- Over 30 different playable characters*
- Recorded Speedruns
- Controller Support
- Multiple ways of beating levels, even exploiting!
*these are just the initial goals, if stretch goals are met, there will be more.
Play as the Enemies - A significant part of our game is it changes constantly, depending on which enemy you're playing as, so you're guaranteed not to get bored with the same minion. Here are a few examples -
- Regular Gumbo - he can move sideways, the weakest of the bunch.
- Red Gumbo - this guy can jump
- Green Gumbo - throws hatchets
- Venus - lives in PVC pipes and pops out to chomp on some red meat.
- Mars - also lives in PVC pipes but shoots fireballs
- Caspy - can fly but gets scared of the plumber if he looks at him
- Inky - lives in the water and moves around freely
Player at Indie Prize Asia - spent half the time trying to control the plumber, until he realized he was the big bad boss...
Be The BOSS! - Have you ever gotten to control the all powerful final boss in a game you've played? Now you get to take control of one of these bad guys and see just how difficult it is for them to kill the hero.
- Big Caspy - is not afraid, but pretty slow
- King Fish - can do dash attacks under water
- King Gumbo - one of the most powerful bosses in the lands, he shoots fireballs and can stomp down, shaking the whole level!
Time Frame - The core of the game is done, as you can see from the web/mobile games, but we want to spend the extra time to make more levels, polish, add more music/sound effects, and play around with new features to make a full game.
We are confident in finishing all the components within 2 months, and then we will be getting ready for release.
The flash and PC demo has been praised for its innovative gameplay, awesome graphics and animation, great level designs with really good progression, catchy music and ear candy sound effects and overall polish. Here are some quotes from various articles -
- "Kill the Plumber is an inventive and satisfying reverse platformer." - PocketGamer
- "It's a script-flipping mobile game that openly and intentionally parodies the NES classic." - Mashable
- "Kill The Plumber flips the usual set-up of (platformer) games on its head by having you control the enemies stopping a plumber in a red outfit from reaching the end of the level any way you can." - Siliconera
- "These critters need a voice. Their story needs to be told." - GameZebo
- "I like it a lot." - AppSpy
- "Kill the Plumber plays brilliantly." - JayisGames
- "a clever-looking game" - SlideToPlay
- "uniquely reversed puzzle platformer" - Stuff.tv
- "In fact, it's actually quite a clever title - instead of controlling the good guy, you're in charge of various enemies who have to stop him from getting to the end of each stage. " - NintendoLife
100% GREENLIT! - The steam community has responded well to our campaign, and we got through the process in about 5 days and officially got the go ahead within 2 weeks! Check it out here
We are TekiTown, a collaborative group of indie devs who like making fun games. Collectively, we've had games sponsored by top sites like ArmorGames, Newgrounds, Kongregate, AddictingGames, Dojo, Notdoppler, Nickelodeon, and many more...
Your Partners In Crime -
IZZY - A game dev for around 5 years and graphic artist for way longer than that. His whole career so far has been about teaming up with random people to make games with.
KEYBOL - Developer from the Philippines with many popular flash games under his belt, most known for his award-winning and viral Pretentious Game (iOS/android/steam). His games have been showcased and nominated in many conventions like Indie Prize Europe/US/Asia, Tokyo Game Show and has done talks on various topics at Casual Connect and IGF China. He is currently the no. 7 in Top Selling Developers at www.fgl.com
ZACH - A freelance composer/Sound designer/audio engineer who has also worked on popular games like Epic Boss Fighter 1 and 2. Zach has also worked with Disney, Coca-Cola, Adult Swim, GSN, 4KidsTV, NBC Global and many more.
JIM - A composer, producer, songwriter, and sound designer with over 17 years of combined writing and studio experience. He composes in various styles, including Acoustic, Classical, Dance/Electronica, Hip-Hop, House, Jazz, Orchestral, Pop, and R&B. He has released albums on iTunes, Amazon, Spotify, and many other online retailers. His music and sound FX have also been licensed for various productions, including short films, commercials, video games, audiobooks, podcasts and more.
Do you like ads? Do you crave micro transactions?!...Neither do we, so we can't in all honesty make this game free to play, but we're setting its price as low as we can that it won't harm us for the time we take to develop it.
- Rent/Living Expenses - Developing indie games is not a lavish lifestyle, but it's our passion so we make the best of it. We are only asking for enough to keep our rent paid and have a little food/caffeine to keep us running.
- Music/SFX - A big part of polishing the game is making sure the audio is top notch. We've enlisted 2 very talented musicians/sfx makers to make sure we don't skimp out on this part.
- Fees/Taxes - The boring/unfun parts of the project, but we have to deal with it and need to make sure we're not too underfunded in the end.
- Rewards - (US only, see rewards section). Creating and Sending packages will cost a bit, but we're up for the challenge. Some merchandise is the least we can do for helping us with this game.
We want to provide you with the best product, so finding free or cheap audio isn't in anyone's best interest. Any extra proceeds we end up with will go straight to making more content for the game to make it better for everyone!
We thought of various rewards that might seem appealing to different people, so find one that's right for you!
killtheplumber.com - see more info about the game here
tekitown.com - read more about our team
Play the Original Here - at Dojo
Get Mobile - at Google Play
Risks and challenges
We have years of development and publishing experience but we are still normal human beings. A lot of the things we promise are fully reasonable, you shouldn't worry about us finishing these tasks (Don't you worry child).
The core of the game is complete, so finishing the other parts shouldn't be a big deal for us. Our main concern has to do with publishing for steam as we have not directly done it ourselves, but we don't imagine this to be a huge struggle.
The local multiplayer aspect has been developed a bit, so if we get stretch goals that reach to it, we'll be able to finish that aspect. Demos have so far been good, but there might be some flaws we're not aware of. If it ends up being that we can't do this feature, we will try our best to provide alternative content.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)