Meet the Pedalist
A design that blends the best elements from an Electric Bicycle, Cargo Bike, Tadpole Tricycle, and Velomobile.
The bike-commuting movement continues to gain traction as more people are focused on improving their health, while making an effort to reduce pollutants and relieve road congestion. A bike is a great tool - but in some cases, it’s simply not enough.
And then, for many of us, a car is just too much. Beyond the purchase price – and the ongoing burdens of license, insurance, registration fees, maintenance, fuel, storage – the daily traffic and hassle of trying to find a parking space is enough to throw in the towel. For many urban commuters, a car is an undesirable option – yet walking or public transportation also doesn’t make the cut.
Virtue Bike is bridging that gap with the Pedalist – a front-cargo tadpole tricycle with an outer shell and electric power. The "driver" remains comfortable and protected while traveling – and gains the added benefit of actually ENJOYING the ride!
Health and Environmental Benefits
Beyond eliminating the costs & headaches associated with cars, Pedalists gain the health benefits of cycling while enjoying the riding experience.
The Pedalist offers enormous environmental benefits. We’re 100% green with zero emissions and provide a physical footprint that’s less than a third of the typical car. Technically, the Pedalist has the potential to reduce traffic congestion by 60%.
Electric bicycle convenience
Our pedal-assist feature and full-electric power options allow you to tackle intimidating hills without even breaking a sweat.
Just like e-bike, no license & registration required in most places*, unless you start going over the top with its massive electric possibilities. The 750W electric motor & 48v 32A li-ion battery would provide a range of 50+ miles per charge. The cargo space would easily fit 10 of them and provide 500+ miles of range; and of course, the pedal-assist mode would add significant additional miles to it.
There are three modes of riding the Pedalist: pure pedal, pedal assist (the electric motor multiplies your pedaling power), & throttle (electric) only. While you could go as fast as you'd like with the first two modes, we limit the throttle-only speed to 20mph on the computer. This is to classify it as a tricycle (not a moped or scooter) in California's, and most States', regulations*.
2+1 Seating configuration
The Pedalist has 2+1 seating configuration, second adult could sit behind the cyclist while a bicycle’s toddler’s seat may be attached in the front cargo space, which would also fit a medium sized pet.
Benefits of being as narrow as a bicycle
While comfortable bicycle lanes are supposed to be 4-5 feet wide, many are under 4 feet. Boasting a width of just 35 inches, the Pedalist can go anywhere a bicycle can: in bike lanes, on sidewalks, across campus, and even through the front door of your home or office.
Our skinny form factor is designed to maneuver between parked cars or congested roads, and you can swiftly navigate between standard car and bicycle lanes.
Safer than a bicycle
Our unique tadpole design features two wheels in front to give the Pedalist added stability and control. Head and tail lights offer optimum visibility while on the road – contributing to the safety of both the Pedalist and periphery traffic – while the Virtue Pedalist’s height provides visibility (to see and be seen) beyond that offered by traditional recumbent-based velomobiles.
The enclosed shell offers protection from wind-chill, sun heat, and slight rain, and eliminates the need for a helmet and outerwear – keeping your hair and clothes ready for work. The front and rear interior compartments offer ample storage room or options for additional riders.
Maintenance free... Well, almost
In addition to negating the massive maintenance needs of a car, the Pedalist, as a cycling machine, is equipped with improved cycling components that reduced major bicycle maintenance requirements. The Pedalist features internal 8 speed gear hub, magnesium wheels, & disc brakes.
Join our movement and let’s bridge the gap together – step into the Virtue Pedalist!
Virtue's solutions to cycling lifestyle challenges can be seen throughout their innovative product lines; i.e. Virtue Gondoliere and Virtue Schoolbus for those with kids, Virtue Truck for those with luggage and/or groceries, Virtue Seven & Curve for stylish commute, Virtue Campus for students, Virtue Ortho for those with back problems, etc. For more information, please visit www.VirtueBike.com
* 3 modes of riding: pure pedal, pedal assist, & throttle (electric) only. While you could go as fast as you'd like with the first two modes, we limit the throttle-only speed to 20mph on the computer. This is to classify it as a tricycle (not a moped or scooter) in California and most States. European countries would need to limit the computer speed to 15kph to be classified as a tricycle. Please check your local regulations for its classifications.
- $10 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide Virtue decals as a token of our gratitude.
- $25 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide a Virtue shirt as a token of our gratitude.
- $50 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide 2 Virtue shirts and decals as a token of our gratitude.
- $100 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide 4 Virtue shirts and decals as a token of our gratitude. We'd also reserve Kickstarter Supporters' pricing for you for one year.
- $300 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide Virtue Campus, one of our bicycle model. We'd also reserve Kickstarter Supporters' pricing for you for one year.
- $600 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide Virtue Regents or Ortho, our bicycle models. We'd also reserve Kickstarter Supporters' pricing for you for one year.
- $1,100 - Thank you for supporting this cause. We'd provide Virtue Gondoliere, one of our bicycle model. We'd also reserve Kickstarter Supporters' pricing for you for one year.
- $2,999 - E-Bike Afficionados Early Birds: Your choice of one Virtue Pedalist (minus electric power set-up) in off-white or dark-grey color. This is for those who want to put their own specific set-up of ebike motors and batteries.
- $3,999 - Early Birds: Your choice of one Virtue Pedalist in off-white or dark-grey color.
- $6,199 - Group/Company Color E-Bike Afficionados Early Birds: Your choice of two Virtue Pedalist (minus electric power set-up) in your own color. This is for those who want to put their own specific set-up of ebike motors, batteries, & color.
- $8,199 - Group/Company Color Early Birds: Your choice of two Virtue Pedalist in your own color.
The full retail price for Virtue Pedalist will be $4,499++, and without the electric motor & battery will be $3,499++; so you're getting a deal by supporting us on Kickstarter. We will not sell Virtue Pedalist in retail until all Kickstarter rewards have been produced.
Shipping is extra and will be determined based on your location. International supporters are also responsible for import customs/tax/duties/fees.
Custom color supporters are responsible to provide the required color sample for us to match. 1 basic color (no glitters, textures, etc.), exterior only.
Who we are
We are a cycling company based in San Diego, California.
Virtue Cycles build products designed to get people into cycling lifestyle. It focuses more on bicycles & tricycles, starting with Virtue Seven—a classic design with modern technology (materials & components) back in 2009.
Virtue is always in the hunt for obstacles hindering people to cycle & also at the same time improving bicycles to overcome them. Since its inception, Virtue has produced mainstream bikes such as city bikes, cruisers, and also improved bikes such as Ortho for those with back problems, SchoolBus for quality time with loved ones (or pets), Truck for cargo, electric for hilly areas, overweighters, long distance commuters, etc.
Risks and challenges
Over the past five years we've successfully delivered multiple cycling related products, some are relatively mainstream, i.e. City bikes, cruisers, etc., while some others are rather niche, i.e. Ortho, SchoolBus, etc.
Virtue Pedalist is nearly complete. We’re currently ramping up at our factories and are ready to meet the estimated delivery times.
Supply Chain Risk
We’ve built a very capable international team for the past five years. However, component delays and unexpected shortages can occur. If this happens, we’ll be sure to keep you informed and work to quickly solve the problem.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)