Samantha Olivia Byrne is a normal ten year old child who just happens to be obsessed with mythical monsters of folklore, whom she catalogs on her little-read blog. When her parents move to a new town, Sam discovers the nearby swamp is linked to a world populated by fairies, trolls and her new best friend... an eight-foot swamp monster named Mossy!
Bound to the land by mysterious means and charged with protecting the human realm from the creatures of the swamp, Mossy forms an unlikely attachment with Sam as they work together keep the outside world safe from invasion.
Mossy #1 is a twenty-page comic by Kieran Shiach and Traci Shepard that features all of the above and more. It's intended to be family-friendly, suitable for all-ages and plays with elements of horror without being too scary or menacing. We can't wait for you to see what we've been working on and we're thrilled to have the opportunity to bring it to print with the aid of this Kickstarter.
The issue is done and ready to go as soon as this Kickstarter ends, so if you back this Kickstarter at $2 or higher you'll get the full PDF of Mossy #1 in your inbox ready to read as we start work on putting together the rest of the rewards.
You can take our word for it that it's good, but it's still our first comic so we understand if you're skeptical. However, we sent it to some of our friends who know what they're talking about and this is what they had to say...
- "Mossy left me wishing I lived by a swamp, something I've never wanted or thought about before. The comic features the ultimate power duo and I wanna read more!" - Sarah Graley (Kim Reaper, Rick and Morty)
- "Mossy is the rare comic that is able to capture that child like sense of wonder that we so often associate with the medium, but so seldom actually achieve." - Jeremy Whitely (The Unstoppable Wasp, Princeless)
- "Mossy feels like a wonderful daydream brimming with smart choices and fun characters." - Adam P. Knave (The Once and Future Queen, Amelia Cole)
- "If you've ever idly bemoaned the fact that we might never see what Jeff Smith's take on Swamp Thing might be, I have great news for you: Mossy is here." - Benito Cereno (The Tick, Tales From The Bully Pulpit)
- I think [Mossy is] really energetic and fun! Great art style for the story, attractive colors for the demographic. - Steve Orlando (Justice League of America, Midnighter and Apollo)
So, we mentioned rewards, what can you get if you back the Mossy Kickstarter?
Every level from £2 or higher gets you a PDF copy of Mossy #1 in your inbox as soon as the Kickstarter is complete, but we have a bunch of great physical rewards too.
If you back us at £4, you'll get the physical issue which is twenty pages of awesome all-ages adventure/horror. You'll also get a pair of delightful stickers featuring the cover art and logo.
At £6, we'll throw in these two badges with an awesome original design that links up!
£15 is a purely digital reward level, where you'll get the PDF and a small digital portrait by Traci. Something along the lines of a display picture for Twitter or a cute drawing of your pet, here's some examples:
£20 is our first combo pack level, where you'll get absolutely everything so far: PDF, physical issue, stickers, badges and a digital commission.
£25 gets you the PDF, physical issue, stickers, badges and an A5 print of the Mossy #1 cover.
£40 is another purely digital reward level, where you'll get the PDF of Mossy #1 and a full commission from Traci, like one of these:
Finally, £60 is our second and final combo pack which gets you pretty much everything! PDF, physical issue, stickers, badges, an A5 print of the Mossy #1 cover and a full commission from Traci, as above.
We have a number of stretch goals that we'd love to hit if we make it to our goal.
- £2,500 - Back Matter! We'll expand the issue with back matter featuring blog posts from Sam's website about the monsters she met in the issue.
- £3,000 - An extra art print by JoJo Seames! We love JoJo, and if we hit this level we'll include an extra print to every level that has a print.
- £3,500 - Another extra print by James Lawrence! James does an amazing webcomic called The Legend of La Mariposa and he's on board to do an extra print too, if we hit this level.
- $4,000 - A third extra print by Sally Cantirino, artist of Black Mask Studio's Last Song.
- £4,500 - A fourth extra print by a mystery artist!
- £5,000 - If we get to this level, we'll start work on a brand new project we've been kicking around for ages. All we'll tell you now is that it's called Zoochadors, but if we get within sight of this goal we'll break down exactly what it is. If we get to this level, we'll use this Kickstarter to keep people updated on the process and as a starter, here's some concept art by Traci...
Everything here is estimates based on how much we expect to need to order, but most of the physical rewards such as stickers, prints and badges are fairly cheap. Comics are bit more expensive, but the more you order the cheaper they get. Postage is a bit more of a killer, especially international postage, it can sneak up on you and we want to be prepared. Everything left over goes to Traci, who penciled, inked, colored and lettered Mossy #1. We've also left a bit of a gap for wiggle room because things can always catch you by surprise, but if there's anything left there, that goes to Traci too.
Risks and challenges
The most obvious risk and challenge with this is that it's the first Kickstarter for both of us, and there's a learning curve that comes with it. We like to think we're prepared for how challenging that can be, but there's likely to be a few bumps in the road where something catches us by surprise. We're both extremely confident in our story and our product and we hope it's something you're interested in enough to back.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)